Anyone been to Myanmar?

ironsteel

Reaction score
Can anybody who has travelled to Myanmar give me a rough estimate of how much you spent? I am considering a trip there for about 3-4 weeks, but according to what I'm reading online, Myanmar is not that cheap for a solo traveller (compared to its neighbours). For e.g. I could find cheap single rooms in Vietnam for maybe around 6-8USD especially outside of the main cities, but I'm reading that single rooms in Myanmar cost about twice as much. Anybody can verify this?

Last edited:

butterbarter

Reaction score
Can anybody who has travelled to Myanmar give me a rough estimate of how much you spent? I am considering a trip there for about 3-4 weeks, but according to what I'm reading online, Myanmar is not that cheap for a solo traveller (compared to its neighbours). For e.g. I could find cheap single rooms in Vietnam for maybe around 6-8USD especially outside of the main cities, but I'm reading that single rooms in Myanmar cost about twice as much. Anybody can verify this?

It's best to ask a Burmese travel agent as things have changed drastically since Myanmar opened up and US lifted sanctions just a few months ago.

There are a bunch of travel agents in Peninsular Plaza. I used Vega travel for my bookings. They can do hotel bookings, tickets bookings (air, boat), and can offer you advice on where to visit. Best of all, they have an office (also called Vega) in central Yangon, so you can drop by and pick up all your domestic tickets from there, and they'll be up to date on the latest happenings in Burma.

You can save some money if you book it in Yangon directly as compared to booking in Singapore. But still, it's no harm talking to the Singapore branch offices.

VERY IMPORTANT : ask if there are now ATMs in Yangon. 2 years ago there were NO ATMs, and you have to bring all your money in brand new crisp US dollars. Even a single ink mark or blemish is unacceptable. They have the most anal money-exchange conditions I've ever seen.

Last edited:

butterbarter

Reaction score
dear all, pls advise if this is feasible..

Upon reaching Myanmar, head immediately to Bagan & spend 3 days there to explore. Head back to Yangon and hire a car to take to Golden Rock. Most probably will stay a night up there to experience the sunset. When the driver can meet the next morning, will try to visit Bago on the way back. Will spend the next day visiting the sights of Yangon and depart the next day.

I was in Burma for 2 weeks 2 years ago. Of the places I visited, I think Bagan and Inle Lake were my favorites. Yangon is a bit of a novelty ( rarely do you see a capital city in such bad shape ), but frankly, apart from temples, there really isn't that much to do. Bago is not a bad way to spend some spare time, but not really worth the 1 day/40USD car rental.

I would suggest you spend 2 days in Yangon, and the remaining time in either Inle or Bagan. Inle is chill out and hiking place, and Bagan is temples galore.

If I had to choose between Bagan and Inle, I think I would choose Bagan because you can cover most of the major sights in 2 days. To chill in the relaxing pace of life in Inle, you'll need 3-4 days, which you do not have.

Don't travel by land. It's very very slow. Travel by domestic plane. They mostly use Russian planes, both jets and propeller planes, so it can be a bit unnerving to know you are getting onto a pretty old plane. I didn't relish the flights, but at least the trips were fast. Tickets are around 70USD one-way, but make sure you book the more reliable airlines (there are several airlines, but not all are equally safe. Check with the agent or Google)

Go to Inle + Mandalay when you have more time in future.

Skip the Golden Rock.

Last edited:

butterbarter

Reaction score
hows the internet connection there , is it good ?

Terrible. Broadband speed is more like modem speed. Facebook and Gmail takes forever to load. Forget about uploading photos or videos. Just browsing and posting updates is a pain.

Not sure if things have improved by now though.

And not all hotels provide internet, so check before you book. You may have to visit a cybercafe, and use the slooooooow connection.

butterbarter

Reaction score
Vesak Day is a major holiday in Myanmar. Lots of natives are likely to be on the roads and in the temples, I reckon. Will you be able to get a driver and will businesses close? You better check.

yeah, i think that's quite likely the case since the Burmese are deeply religious and will almost certainly observe and celebrate Vesak Day.

Inter-city travel is probably fine if you fly (few burmese can afford a plane ticket). But if you intend to travel by shared taxis (which is common for trips under 1-2 hours), you might have a problem.

butterbarter

Reaction score
Perhaps i shld just give Laos a miss, since it is just a side track of my trip. I will focus on Myanmar then :s13:

Laos is just as interesting as Myanmar, and surprisingly, more well developed for the tourist (in terms of food, public transport and hotels), although their inter-city roads are also very bad.

Weijia

Reaction score
Who's interested to visit Myanmar at low rate

Dear All,

Interested to visit Myanmar the state of Yangon, Mandalay, be it for business or holiday. We are independent travel consultancy. We have contacts so make to facilitate your visit at ease.

The price will be much lower and comprehensive than conventional travel agency & business consultancy. Do contact me for further discussion.
Email Zarick, zedricktay@gmail.com

jarvis

Master Member
Reaction score
I think it's expensive because there is an explosion of tourists going there and the infrastructure just can't cope with it. Hence the hotel prices have doubled or sometimes even tripled in the last 2 years.

Also, there aren't that many restaurants (especially outside of Yangon) which are tourist friendly. Sure, it's not a problem going there to eat, but I found the food way too salty, and I was eating with one hand fanning the flies away. Ended up eating at the hotel every night (apart from Yangon where it's easy to get a cab out and there are decent restaurants around).

If you're thinking of shopping and buying local handicraft or gems, don't bother unless you have a reliable local contact who will go to the bat for you. Otherwise your name is Roberto. While I accept that as a tourist, you generally pay higher prices, I think it's objectionable beyond a certain level because it just becomes cheating / fraud. I saw an American tourist bargain a sarong from the original quote of USD25 to USD2.50. The prices quoted by the shops selling rubies (and other gems) are also just as ridiculous - if you want to pay that kind of price, just buy the gems in Singapore because it's probably cheaper and it will probably come with a reliable certificate.

In all, I get the feeling that because you are a tourist, the people try to call you Roberto. While it's inevitable especially when you're travelling around SEA, I feel its' even worse than places like Bangkok or Phuket. And that is probably the biggest put off for me.

In terms of sights, Bagan was very nice. The hot air balloon was fantastic and worth every penny even though it's not cheap - it felt very safe though cuz it's run by westerners with what appears to be western standards of safety. I would highly recommend that.

calkel20

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I did a trip with a friend last Sept-Oct. In 10 days this was what we did.

Yangon-train-Mandalay-private taxi-Hsipaw-truck-Namshan-truck-Hsipaw-bus-Mandalay-Bus-Yangon.

Cannot agree more that Myanmar is rather un-spoiled due to the hilly terrains, but the opening up has exploded not because of US lifting their sanctions against them, it is more like China is opening them up to gain their petroleum and Natural gas for the use in China. So you will see pipelines laid thru the fields by the CPC. Huge and massive projects and really cutting thru padis and mountains.

Inland transportation can be arranged with locals, but then please prepare plenty of crisp US dollars for payment. Avoid those with pen inks drawn on them. The locals do not accept them. Then you will be left with like nothing to pay them for your trip.

My pic taken from Namshan, shan state.
527429_10151093183613727_1555830302_n.jpg

Another of the shwedagon paya in Yangon taken after a dinner with a friend.
548092_10151093192448727_1580427158_n.jpg

butterbarter

Reaction score
please prepare plenty of crisp US dollars for payment. Avoid those with pen inks drawn on them. The locals do not accept them. Then you will be left with like nothing to pay them for your trip.

This is quite true. But in a pinch, notes with creases or ink marks can be acceptable at a discounted rate.

When I went 2 years ago, a clean, fresh US dollar bill was about 700kyats. If it had a crease, it became 600kyats. I suppose the dirtier the note, the lower the rate. Of course you lugi, but at least you can still get money.

tempestuous-

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just got back from 1-month travelling around mainland SEA - Myanmar, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam.

Let me know if you have any queries about Myanmar. I didn't spend much time there, just 9 days. But I would answer your question if there any! :)

calkel20

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This is quite true. But in a pinch, notes with creases or ink marks can be acceptable at a discounted rate.

When I went 2 years ago, a clean, fresh US dollar bill was about 700kyats. If it had a crease, it became 600kyats. I suppose the dirtier the note, the lower the rate. Of course you lugi, but at least you can still get money.

We did not have that problem. A friend that we made along the way was so troubled with it as he had was notes changed in China which was not so crispy.

Wanted to change some for him, but i think he was alright during the trip. Not so much of a worry. But do ask or accept only crispy note. The rest, please feel free to reject. Do not want to be caught out without money anywhere in Myanmar.

hawkwind

Master Member
Reaction score
I am going in Dec with a friend. About the visa application, I have made the online application but do both of us need to go in person to apply and collect?

calkel20

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am going in Dec with a friend. About the visa application, I have made the online application but do both of us need to go in person to apply and collect?

If not who are you going to get to collect for you? Actual fact you can get agency to do everything for you too.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.