EDMW Knife Collectors

Sigmazxcs

Reaction score
Me neither. I fly the littlest brother - 320! :D

Waaaa, I'm only Cat B1 engineer trainee. :( hope to sign on air force though!

As for the steels, I'm no expert but I remember most carbon steel develops rust except for certified ones like CRES (Corrosion REsistent Steel), chromium steel and molybdenum-chromium steels. I'm not sure of the material code but a common molybdenum-chromium steel is 4130 steel. Otherwise, workshop practice is to oil all tool grade steel with mineral oil before the weekends.

Frankly speaking, with all the humidity and salty air in landlocked Singapore, I'd prefer to stick to quality steels like 154CM and S30V. Much more reliable IMO.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
S30V sucks (well.. to me) - it's just not as easy to sharpen as 154V and I don't find the edgeholding to be significantly better than 154V. I prefer N690, CTS-XHP, 154V, and ELMAX.

Good luck - I hope you get into the Air Force.

Last edited:

alantcy

Reaction score
I like ZDP.
The Manbug i have never need to resharpen at all and surprisingly hasn't rust on me yet after 3-4 months of carry.
Still push cuts paper 'til this day.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
just chanced upon this big folder from a post on BF, thought you guys might be interested. Seems reasonably priced and if they actually got the D2 to 60-62RC, that would be nice. Looks to be feature packed, too big for me though...I like smaller folders from 3.0-3.5"bladelength =:p

https://extremaddiction.com/D_Defender.php

Dendra Defender. 5 1/4" closed framelock. 3 3/4" stonewash finish D2 tool steel blade with wavy top edge, dual thumb studs, extended tang and thumb ridge. Hardened to 60-62 HRC. Black G-10 handle with 3D treatment on front and titanium on back. Features the Roto Block lock. Lanyard hole. Stainless pocket clip. Includes blade tension tool. Made by Lion Steel
Made in Italy
Price $149.89 (USD)

Last edited:

Mayduza

Reaction score
Hi, Guy .... update some knife for sell due to got 2 DIREWARE coming need to let my babe find new family

1. Strider SNG Ghost tiger striped s30v Tan g10 , lock up 20% asking- SOLD sgd only
2. DPX T3 with box and tool Limited edition Retail 400usd+, asking- sold
3. Strider Starlingear Hot Head Sng Orange g10 s30v limited less than 20 worldwide, lock up 25% asking- 1,550 sgd price drop to 1,300 sgd now !!! SO CHEAP

All never used or carried .... view @Tampines only if interest plz sms to me : 91065262
Mr.Napong ,,, for real deal can a bit nego low baller 'll be ignore .

:D:s12::s13:

Last edited:

alantcy

Reaction score
just chanced upon this big folder from a post on BF, thought you guys might be interested. Seems reasonably priced and if they actually got the D2 to 60-62RC, that would be nice. Looks to be feature packed, too big for me though...I like smaller folders from 3.0-3.5"bladelength =:p

https://extremaddiction.com/D_Defender.php

Dendra Defender. 5 1/4" closed framelock. 3 3/4" stonewash finish D2 tool steel blade with wavy top edge, dual thumb studs, extended tang and thumb ridge. Hardened to 60-62 HRC. Black G-10 handle with 3D treatment on front and titanium on back. Features the Roto Block lock. Lanyard hole. Stainless pocket clip. Includes blade tension tool. Made by Lion Steel
Made in Italy
Price $149.89 (USD)

That looks like an exposed stop pin?
Can't see the other angles whether its shouldered or press fitted.
But the way its constructed looks like you can't take it apart.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
I believe you can. I could disassemble my dpx hest. Construction seems similar.

viix

Master Member
Reaction score
HI Viix..
just to check...are parachute/ diving / boot knives legal for possession? some are double edged like a dagger, or with very thin false edge.....like the following from Hattori.
i am not into diving, just collecting.. do u think its legal to collect these in singapore, or even able to be released from ICA if i order thru post?
H-568a.jpg

Img648.jpg

Img740.jpg

The knives I've seen on jumpmasters during my airborne course are single edged serrated fixed blade.. I don't recall any double edged ones.. For dive knifes, I've seen short boot mounted knives but not on recreational divers I've dive with, maybe only on those tech divers and the occasional few (yeah some of my friends too) who kit up like they seal operators on leisure dives. most dont carry except the guides and during those cleanup dive.. even then its the usual blunt tip single edge fixed blade.

Dive knife or not, double edge is basically a no go in Sg.. I know my friend leaves his overseas with the dive op to minimise the custom hassle too.. The ONLY legal double edge I have seen is the commerative commando stiletto which is blunted..

Anyway the hittori looks more for DIVING fisherman than recreational divers. the holes in the handle looks to be designed for attachment to a spear for spear fishing and the double edge for removing shellfish so I'd assume they're classified as hunting weapons. You can try contacting A&E though..

Last edited:

Mayduza

Reaction score
strider sng starlingear hot head for sell

all gone only 1 left , want to sell or trade

Strider Starlingear Hot Head Sng Orange g10 s30v limited less than 20 worldwide, lock up 25% asking- SOLD sgd now !!! SO CHEAP ..... mint condition , flip like butter ... sharp tip :)

THX HWZ

Last edited:

magnus

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
One and only. Mostly for traveling use.

2ibdlhz.jpg

Last edited:

sojourn88

Reaction score
Anyway the hittori looks more for DIVING fisherman than recreational divers. the holes in the handle looks to be designed for attachment to a spear for spear fishing and the double edge for removing shellfish so I'd assume they're classified as hunting weapons.

Good analysis there Viix... thanks!!..

slackjam

Reaction score
Hmm can I ask usually is use mineral oil n leave a thin film on the blade during long term storage? Where can one get mineral oil here in sg?

I used wd40 instead dat time...tink it's not a suitable medium at all...oso heard its not advisable to storage fixed blades in their sheaths? TIA for any advises n feedback!

kaapuii

Reaction score
Hmm can I ask usually is use mineral oil n leave a thin film on the blade during long term storage? Where can one get mineral oil here in sg?

I used wd40 instead dat time...tink it's not a suitable medium at all...oso heard its not advisable to storage fixed blades in their sheaths? TIA for any advises n feedback!

Go to Ikea the kitchen knives section. They sell huge bottles of mineral oil at only $6-$8 each. Enough to last you more than a decade.

Sigmazxcs

Reaction score

I'm glad you mentioned this here. WD40 is not a good storage medium AT ALL.
I'm an active inline skater. I advise my freshies in school to NEVER use WD40 on their bearings. We have had instances whereby the bearings rusts from inside out because of long term usage of WD40. Other fluids worked well. WD40 is only for immediate rust removal, not recommended for lubrication unlike what they claim. I'd strongly advise you against using WD40 again.

But then again, I may be wrong. So take my words with a pinch of salt. Please do correct me if I'm wrong too, I'd be glad to find a reason to use my WD40 again.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
yep. Ikea has the cheapest mineral oil I've seen in Singapore, that is easily available. Mineral oil is a great protectant but due to its low viscosity, it can be quite gummy. But it is food safe - Ikea sells it for the purposes of oiling your wooden chopping boards.

Alternative is Tuffglide Marine (you can find it at specialty hardware shops) but I'm not sure if it's food safe.

WD40 is great as a quick fix but not long term lubricant or corrosion protectant nor is it food safe (due to the solvents and petroleum based products).

You can see the MSDS here:

http://www.wd40company.com/files/pdf/msds-wd494716385.pdf

Actually, you can also use cooking oil as a protectant (but you need to wipe it off and put fresh oil regularly since oil will turn rancid over time) or other oils. Some people even use wax (like car wax or rennaisance wax) - but removing wax is a real hassle. And if you are going to resharpen your knives, wax will gum up your benchstones/diamond plates.

re: long term storage in leather sheaths - yes, avoid that. Treated leather has lots of chemicals/minerals in them that may cause corrosion, staining.

If you look around, you may also be able to buy bags that contain corrosive inhibitors like 'zerust':

http://www.zerust.com/product/film/ict-vcibags

If you buy Japanese kitchen knives, they come packed in such papers.

Last edited:

sojourn88

Reaction score
good question! I too do not know who has a wide selection - I bought mine from Tangs, using redemption coupons :D

check out BHG (former seiyu) at bugis, theres is a victorinox counter on level 2. the other day was having big sale at 20% off very tempted to get the alox versions.

another one at Hock Gift Shop hockgiftshop.com which has a wide selection, including some limited editions. i think all victorinox are controlled prices, as the price at Hock is same as BHG. Wait for the occasional sale if you dont mind waiting and paying less.

recently there q0010 site also selling what looks like a victorinox, at ridiculous prices... but on asking, the seller replied that it is oem, not authentic.. althought the photo show clearly the trademark victorinox shield.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.