Custom-built Objective2/ODAC vs Schitt Magni/Modi!!!

JoePilot

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
NO RULES.
NO MERCY.
NO HOLDS BARRED.

Who will win, and who will be destroyed in this brutal cage fight?

1FAvV7T.jpg

Y2nsqKv.jpg

jjyo1Fk.jpg

STAY TUNED!!!! :D

(SORRY FOR THE CRAPPY PICS!=:p)

Custom Objective2/ODAC courtesy of yours truly
Schiit Magni/Modi courtesy of Airekris (thanks bro!)
Tested with HD598, Monoprice 8320

Last edited:

JoePilot

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
SUMMARY:

Both emerged winners. =:p
Gender-wise, the custom O2/ODAC is a guy. The M&M is a girl. Why? Read on!

OBJECTIVE COMPARISON:
This custom O2/ODAC has DAC RCA line-out and 3.5mm analog line-in. The M&M only has RCA to RCA to connect the DAC with the amp. Which means the O2/ODAC is more versatile when it comes to multiple sources. For the M&M, if you want to switch to an analog source, you will have to unplug the RCA cables on the Magni.

The M&M is fixed 5x gain.
O2/ODAC has switchable 2.5x/6.5x gain.

M&M takes up slightly more deskspace, and twice the height of the custom O2/ODAC.

Using Monoprice 8320 IEM, with nothing playing, the O2 is totally silent at max volume 2.5X gain. At 6.5X gain noise can be heard once the volume knob is past 2-3 o'clock.
For the M&M (5X gain), noise can be heard at 12-1 o'clock.
(Realistically, this won't be a factor during normal listening, esp if using full-size cans).

Also, there was crackling noise when the M&M volume knob is transitioning a certain spot near the maximum (I think it might be a bad pot?).
O2's knob is very very smooth. MM knob has a tiny rotational play.

SUBJECTIVE COMPARISON
Subjective listening tests are...subjective.
We didn't have the setup required for blind A/B testing, so Airekris and I decided right from the start that we won't be doing a subjective listening test that was likely to be subject to subjective bias. :s13:
So, we went ahead to have fun with both amps!

Looks-wise, the M&M is the clear winner. It looks stylish, it looks more expensive, and personally I prefer the cool blue LEDs. It has more sex appeal, with all the rounded edges.
The custom O2/ODAC, with its sharp edges and lines, looks masculine. I would describe it as clean, minimalist, even industrial. It's a machine, not a statement.
Airekris aptly described thus: The O2 is a guy, the MM is a girl.
(And girls/wives/girlfriends/sisters likes to make noise! :s13:)

Last edited:

freewayfight

Reaction score
Hahaha. Cage fight and royal rumble also ah. Just throw in all the brutal wrestling terms.

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
u r going to abuse them n see which 1 more solid?

racoiaw

Reaction score
drive car over see which one more solid?

aesthetically wise, the MM look so much better

alamakazim

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
actually MM ... is spray coated...

they don't look that great in reality...

ZackZhou

Reaction score
depends on the spray job. Mine looks good, mainly because of its build also.

i just dont like the side part of joe's o2, where its uneven surface. If its smooth i think it will look so much nicer. :s13::s13:

JoePilot

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
depends on the spray job. Mine looks good, mainly because of its build also.

i just dont like the side part of joe's o2, where its uneven surface. If its smooth i think it will look so much nicer. :s13::s13:

Agree. :vijayadmin:

Shadow04

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I agree with this. Also, I think if the light on Joe's o2 is white like M&M, it will be much nicer, red looks kinda out of place in that aluminium chassis.

From pictures, M&M does look much better doesn't it, but Joe's o2 also bue pai la. =:p

JoePilot

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
POWER CONSUMPTION:

O2: 1.5W (max) (tested, documented by NwAvGuy)

Magni: 4W (specs)
That explains the vent holes on the Magni.

ZackZhou

Reaction score
maybe can try some aluminium casing such as these? It looks similar to yours and have relatively smooth surfaces.

not costly too. around SGD20 only. :s13::s13:

ZackZhou

Reaction score
SUMMARY:

Both emerged winners. =:p
Gender-wise, the custom O2/ODAC is a guy. The M&M is a girl. Why? Read on!

OBJECTIVE COMPARISON:
This custom O2/ODAC has DAC RCA line-out and 3.5mm analog line-in. The M&M only has RCA to RCA to connect the DAC with the amp. Which means the O2/ODAC is more versatile when it comes to multiple sources. For the M&M, if you want to switch to an analog source, you will have to unplug the RCA cables on the Magni.

The M&M is fixed 5x gain.
O2/ODAC has switchable 2.5x/6.5x gain.

M&M takes up slightly more deskspace, and twice the height of the custom O2/ODAC.

Using Monoprice 8320 IEM, with nothing playing, the O2 is totally silent at max volume 2.5X gain. At 6.5X gain noise can be heard once the volume knob is past 2-3 o'clock.
For the M&M (5X gain), noise can be heard at 12-1 o'clock.
(Realistically, this won't be a factor during normal listening, esp if using full-size cans).

Also, there was crackling noise when the M&M volume knob is transitioning a certain spot near the maximum (I think it might be a bad pot?).
O2's knob is very very smooth. MM knob has a tiny rotational play.

SUBJECTIVE COMPARISON
Subjective listening tests are...subjective.
We didn't have the setup required for blind A/B testing, so Airekris and I decided right from the start that we won't be doing a subjective listening test that was likely to be subject to subjective bias. :s13:
So, we went ahead to have fun with both amps!

Looks-wise, the M&M is the clear winner. It looks stylish, it looks more expensive, and personally I prefer the cool blue LEDs. It has more sex appeal, with all the rounded edges.
The custom O2/ODAC, with its sharp edges and lines, looks masculine. I would describe it as clean, minimalist, even industrial. It's a machine, not a statement.
Airekris aptly described thus: The O2 is a guy, the MM is a girl.
(And girls/wives/girlfriends/sisters likes to make noise! :s13:)

Initially, My stack has the same problem as your testing set. "For the M&M (5X gain), noise can be heard at 12-1 o'clock. Also, there was crackling noise when the M&M volume knob is transitioning a certain spot near the maximum (I think it might be a bad pot?)"

However, after 1 week+ of 18 hours a day burn in and i reposition it (nearer to my laptop), there is no sound coming out from stack with both my 535 and 215s. This i do not know the reason thou. :s13::s13:

Joe's Diy o2+odac takes up much lesser space then M&m stack i believe, as Joe's do not need to have the rca to rca connection. Even he cables are 15cm long and bended, they still takes up space at the back thou. :D:D

JoePilot

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
NEXT UP: DROP TESTS FROM 1m HEIGHT

Nah...u wait long long=:p

Airekris

Reaction score
Initially, My stack has the same problem as your testing set. "For the M&M (5X gain), noise can be heard at 12-1 o'clock. Also, there was crackling noise when the M&M volume knob is transitioning a certain spot near the maximum (I think it might be a bad pot?)"

However, after 1 week+ of 18 hours a day burn in and i reposition it (nearer to my laptop), there is no sound coming out from stack with both my 535 and 215s. This i do not know the reason thou. :s13::s13:

Joe's Diy o2+odac takes up much lesser space then M&m stack i believe, as Joe's do not need to have the rca to rca connection. Even he cables are 15cm long and bended, they still takes up space at the back thou. :D:D

Eh Zack you use Laptop not noisy meh.... from what i know USB from laptop very noisy 1

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.