Laos

Bak_Chor_Mee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
is Laos accomodation expensive? How many days is enough to spend in Laos including the Plains of Jars

beanstalk6

Reaction score
Generally accommodation is not expensive, if you keep yourself to guest-houses. Laos is an elongated country and there is a dearth of good roads and a highway system, so travel times are long. The Plain of Jars is way to the south of the country, far from Vientiane and Luang Prabang.

Bak_Chor_Mee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Generally accommodation is not expensive, if you keep yourself to guest-houses. Laos is an elongated country and there is a dearth of good roads and a highway system, so travel times are long. The Plain of Jars is way to the south of the country, far from Vientiane and Luang Prabang.

thanks for the info. generally would a short 4D3N be sufficient to explore some parts of Laos and the Plain of Jars?

technically speaking it would just be 1 day arrival, 2 days Laos, last day depart

Last edited:

beanstalk6

Reaction score
Even if you fly to Phonsavan, you will not have enough time. There is no "some parts of Laos and the Plain of Jars", unless you are only going to visit Phonsavan and the Plain of Jars. Even then, you have to get to Phonsavan first, via perhaps Vientiane.
Web resources illustrate the problem clearly Plain of Jars travel guide - Wikitravel

Bak_Chor_Mee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks :) so how long did u travel in Laos last time? Did u also visit the Jars plain?

beanstalk6

Reaction score
I had a week in Laos. Luang Prabang-Vang Vieng-Vientiane. Luang Prabang was so enjoyable, I stayed 2 nights longer. The road to Phonsavan was to take up so much time, I gave up without trying.

Correction: I confused the location of the Plain of Jars with Pakse, which is way to the south.

Last edited:

suangern

Reaction score
thanks for the info. generally would a short 4D3N be sufficient to explore some parts of Laos and the Plain of Jars?

technically speaking it would just be 1 day arrival, 2 days Laos, last day depart

4D3N not enough time to go to phonsavan (plain of jar), just enough time make it to luang prabang (1 way bus journey is already 10 hours, can take overnight bus), mountainous road. VTE - LPB - Vang Vieng.

Laos is expensive than Thailand, as most of the goods are imported from Thailand or China.

Currency can use Lao kip, THB and USD.

Pakse (southern Laos) main attraction is sipandon (4000 islands). close to Cambodian border.

Happy journey! :s12:

bombomlee

Reaction score
Hi guys, going on a Laos trip in January for 5D4N.

I'll be renting a scrambler to ride around Laos.. I aim to see the Plain of Jars!

Would 5D4N be enough?

Don't have to tell me its stupid to ride a bike around Laos and stuff... I have done it in Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand already.

belgarathc

Reaction score
Hi guys, going on a Laos trip in January for 5D4N.

I'll be renting a scrambler to ride around Laos.. I aim to see the Plain of Jars!

Would 5D4N be enough?

Don't have to tell me its stupid to ride a bike around Laos and stuff... I have done it in Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand already.

5D4N should be fine if you just plan to do Vientiane - Luang Prabang - Phonsavan.

Of course, more days would be nicer and you can spend some time at Nong Khiaw and Vang Vieng.

Check out my ride:

Northern Laos Loop – 1. Introduction | Adventure Vacation Trip

As you can see, I have a thing about riding the same road twice so my route is a loop. But I will recommend you skip the Xayaboury and Xam Neua sections to save a few days.

bombomlee

Reaction score
5D4N should be fine if you just plan to do Vientiane - Luang Prabang - Phonsavan.

Of course, more days would be nicer and you can spend some time at Nong Khiaw and Vang Vieng.

Check out my ride:

Northern Laos Loop – 1. Introduction | Adventure Vacation Trip

As you can see, I have a thing about riding the same road twice so my route is a loop. But I will recommend you skip the Xayaboury and Xam Neua sections to save a few days.

Oooo, so you are Atticus! Read your blog quite some time back while hunting for tips!

Is it possible to meet up with you to ask you about some tips?

I was thinking, Vientiane-Phonsavan-Vang Vieng-Vientiane.. As I have only 5D4N.

Or, just ride straight up to Luang Prabang on Arrival since I will reach VTN at 7am or so.

butterbarter

Reaction score
Dude, 5D4N is too short to do Vietiane-Phonsavan-Vang Vieng-Vietiane. The journey between each of these places will take up a lot of time.

Vientian - Phonsavan will be around 10-11 hours or more. Phonsavan - VV is about 6-7 hours. VV-Vientiane is shorter, around 3 hours. So you'll be spending a total of at least 2 full days on the road.

If you only have 5 days, I would suggest either Luang Prabang + Plain of Jars, or Vientiane + either Luang Prabang or Plain Of Jars. Unless you must do river tubing or boozing, I'll skip Vang Vieng. It will be too rushed to do all.

And I would advise you against riding from town to town in your bike if you are alone. It's fine to ride in the cities on a bike. Riding from Phonsavan to the Plain of Jars is also doable, since it's only several km away from town.

But the inter-city roads are terrible and full of pot holes and filled with mini-vans driving like lunatics on the wrong side of the road. Even riding in a minivan is a bone-jarring experience. I think it's considerably worse than Vietnam, Cambodia or Thailand.

Oooo, so you are Atticus! Read your blog quite some time back while hunting for tips!

Is it possible to meet up with you to ask you about some tips?

I was thinking, Vientiane-Phonsavan-Vang Vieng-Vientiane.. As I have only 5D4N.

Or, just ride straight up to Luang Prabang on Arrival since I will reach VTN at 7am or so.

Last edited:

bombomlee

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I might just skip Plain of Jars and leave it for another trip then!

Probably just ride up to VV and lepak as a proper backpacker.

I have done considerably bad back roads in Cambodia earlier in April... like really BAD, back roads.

Potholes will not pose a problem as I got offroading experience..

Actually, I too, drive on the wrong side of the road if it's too inconvenient...... quite accustomed to riding like this already. :s12:

Dude, 5D4N is too short to do Vietiane-Phonsavan-Vang Vieng-Vietiane. The journey between each of these places will take up a lot of time.

Vientian - Phonsavan will be around 10-11 hours or more. Phonsavan - VV is about 6-7 hours. VV-Vientiane is shorter, around 3 hours. So you'll be spending a total of at least 2 full days on the road.

If you only have 5 days, I would suggest either Luang Prabang + Plain of Jars, or Vientiane + either Luang Prabang or Plain Of Jars. Unless you must do river tubing or boozing, I'll skip Vang Vieng. It will be too rushed to do all.

And I would advise you against riding from town to town in your bike if you are alone. It's fine to ride in the cities on a bike. Riding from Phonsavan to the Plain of Jars is also doable, since it's only several km away from town.

But the inter-city roads are terrible and full of pot holes and filled with mini-vans driving like lunatics on the wrong side of the road. Even riding in a minivan is a bone-jarring experience. I think it's considerably worse than Vietnam, Cambodia or Thailand.

butterbarter

Reaction score
Well, if you are going to skip Plain of Jars, then you'll save 2 days of travel and will have plenty of time :)

Vietiane 2-3 days, and the rest of the time in VV. VV, if you ignore all the boozing, can be pretty relaxing. Apart from tubing, there are also activities like hiking, cave explorations, canoeing, and of course makan and chobo-ing. Plenty of (nearly identical) tourist grade restaurants and hotels.

Near the southern end of the town is a sign beseeching tourists (mostly ang mos) not to walk around in swimsuits and bikinis as it offends the local sensitivities. Makes you wonder how bad things must have been to require a sign like that. I heard the town was cleaned up by the authorities, but not sure if its business as usual again.

Thanks for the reply.

I might just skip Plain of Jars and leave it for another trip then!

Probably just ride up to VV and lepak as a proper backpacker.

I have done considerably bad back roads in Cambodia earlier in April... like really BAD, back roads.

Potholes will not pose a problem as I got offroading experience..

Actually, I too, drive on the wrong side of the road if it's too inconvenient...... quite accustomed to riding like this already. :s12:

singexpat

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
juz use thai baht for small-avg purchases and USD for BIG purchases like couple hundred USDs..

locals will give u back Lao Kip in change..

In Vientiane, try to visit Khop Chai Deu.. Its a nice bar restaurant with many backpackers, travellers and locals hang out. U can exchange points there.

beanstalk6

Reaction score
SGD->USD->Kip if you are going directly to Laos.
SGD->Kip for Vientiane, as moneychangers there are able to deal with this.
SGD->THB->Kip is fine if you have baht to begin with, and you are going to Vientiane or border areas.
I used all 3 methods on my 2 trips.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.