EDMW Knife Collectors

helisiao

Reaction score
Small crossbow or whatever is not legal. As long as it is offensive. Unless u belong to a club which practices such activity.

When u collect weapons(knives,ect) in Singapore, u should understand that our country is a police state. Any kind of weapon that can cause harm is illegal to hold on your body.

If u were halt on the street by a police, how u going to explain having a weapon?

Self defence in not applicable in Singapore. And u are guilty even proven innocent.

While not intended for self defense use, I do want to play with it shooting aluminum can targets in the secluded backwoods around my area. Never intend to hurt anyone, but the law doesn't care, the law doesn't give a ****

Sigmazxcs

Reaction score
While not intended for self defense use, I do want to play with it shooting aluminum can targets in the secluded backwoods around my area. Never intend to hurt anyone, but the law doesn't care, the law doesn't give a ****

Yeap, it's illegal. But if you do have an interest in this, perhaps you'd want to try with a now instead. I've imported a bow from USA and I intend to make a foldable foam target do I can bring it out to the secluded areas of punggol (my residential area). Maybe it'd work out for you too?
But I do have a nephew in UK who built a working crossbow out of wood in his school workshop, only to have his teacher confiscate it and marvel at how well made it was after playing with it himself.

helisiao

Reaction score
Small crossbow or whatever is not legal. As long as it is offensive. Unless u belong to a club which practices such activity.

When u collect weapons(knives,ect) in Singapore, u should understand that our country is a police state. Any kind of weapon that can cause harm is illegal to hold on your body.

If u were halt on the street by a police, how u going to explain having a weapon?

Self defence in not applicable in Singapore. And u are guilty even proven innocent.

Actually we are innocent until proven guilty. You have to be 'beyond a reasonable doubt' proven to be guilty in the eyes of the law, with burden of proof from the evidence collected. Thats what the officer who came to my school to give forsci lectures said.

Maybe he said wrongly or I wasn't paying attention and heard wrongly hahaha

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
technically yes. standard of proof in a criminal matter is 'beyond reasonable doubt'. you have to show mens rea and actus reas except for strict liability offences.

practical problem is different. you'd have to spend $$, time and other resources, not to mention the possibility of being in remand to show that the prosecution has not done its job. Think Boon Gay. The 'climate' and environment in Singapore are still not accepting of a person's right to carry legitimate tools because those tools may, in the wrong hands, be employed for illegitimate purposes. However, this is better than in Australia (where it's now illegal to carry in urban areas as provided specifically by laws) or say UK where they have size/lock/type restrictions as well.

Last edited:

Sigmazxcs

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Not sure if you guys can see clearly, but here's a teaser of my hair and a blade edge. :D
EE0599A7-DB89-4251-B0C8-4758FB889055-594-0000003B7194C990_zps8d45b290.jpg

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
I've always admired those who can do hair splitting sharp....and those who have hair :p I don't have that skill and the hair has gone with age, lol. I can get my edges shaving sharp, but hair splitting....ok, I don't think I have that patience or tools (assuming guys normally use abrasive material on strops or high grit stones).

kudos:s12:

Sigmazxcs

Reaction score
I've always admired those who can do hair splitting sharp....and those who have hair :p I don't have that skill and the hair has gone with age, lol. I can get my edges shaving sharp, but hair splitting....ok, I don't think I have that patience or tools (assuming guys normally use abrasive material on strops or high grit stones).

kudos:s12:

Haha, quite true! I myself can't sharpen knives for nuts! That picture is a NIB knife I just found in my mail! ;D teaser!

Sigmazxcs

Reaction score
Hi guys!

So for that teaser last night, no I did not sharpen that monster. It's a NEW IN BOX KNIFE! Just got it in my mail and I'm so stoked about it.*
Behold...!

4980E47A-19C8-4E77-9656-BC609B336A33-840-000000CB9C8EAC10_zpse715b148.jpg

A41021F0-8075-4435-AD52-9091222FB210-840-000000CBA2F66268_zps7de8f1ab.jpg

0B4EF290-97DB-4E5E-985F-677AD8534E0C-840-000000CBAA632C8D_zps5c632c55.jpg

E7963341-D21B-42F0-84F0-247CBD60CD3C-840-000000CBAF5D9029_zpsf20586a9.jpg

1031E737-AC92-441C-B8DA-44B814DC1AC9-840-000000CBB501EBEC_zpsb8547a65.jpg

FC0BEAF4-2F5E-4944-A9E9-16F304C4CDB8-840-000000CBC0024383_zpsa6d2f174.jpg

The knife is not only shaving sharp, but HAIR WHITTLING SHARP. There's no difficulty splitting my hair and everything else.*
I did a paper test and it cuts STRAIGHT DOWN without any pulling motion towards me. Just 1 point contact on the knife edge and I can drag the blade down 2 pieces of printer paper. I was quite afraid actually.*

The opening and closing is simple yet efficient. I have used my shallot for a little too long and now I kinda like flippers. But I guess I'll get used to the 710 thumb studs, which feels great actually even though I hate thumb studs. The axis lock is solid, no qualms about using it for heavy cutting. The handle ergonomics is great, fills my hand without any edgy parts annoying me. The jimpings on the knife is also well thought out, it's not aggressively cutting into my thumb and yet provides the grip I'd like in wet conditions. IMO, great knife!
My only grudges lies on the aesthetic aspect. The backspacer is an eye sore. I'll definitely replace it with aftermarket stand offs. And the pivot screw is functional but I'd really like it better if it was using a countersunk head that lies flush with the scales like the handle screws. I think they'll stand out more if there aren't coated.*

Sigmazxcs

Reaction score
So after all the knife ogling, I got down to work and took the knife apart for the first time. Used as T8 and T6 Torx driver IIRC. It's quite easy to take apart, although the axis lock can be quite a troublesome piece to work with. I took extra care when removing the omega springs, not as scary as said by many. Just take care to not let it pop all the time and I guess we're good to go.*
I almost brought it to my stove to anodize the liners, but something told me not to do it last night. I guess I'll try it on my shallot before I experiment with what I want to use to make my grail knife.*
Here are some pictures of the dismantled 710. Don't tell benchmade I took it apart. :D

D0E94E7E-5285-4147-8CFC-DF29203741BC-840-000000CBD77B253B_zps4bd27a29.jpg

D897A478-B762-4274-A142-5331B3B77FC5-840-000000CBD129F282_zps1de9c1f1.jpg

AAF2394A-8148-46CC-84F6-AEBF0075EBB4-840-000000CBCA4FC219_zpsefb77c75.jpg

And I also started on modifying my shallot. I took sandpaper and sanded off the DLC coating. It took me 2 hours to partially remove the coating.*
I'll be removing all the DLC and then heat anodizing it to a nice bronze/ tan.*
54776478-5126-4196-A90E-00AD10E810F0-840-000000CBE52BA486_zps92d485f7.jpg

13CCAA32-6A15-480D-B8FF-3E15A9265B69-840-000000CBEB77A91B_zps831f1c5b.jpg

worcer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually we are innocent until proven guilty. You have to be 'beyond a reasonable doubt' proven to be guilty in the eyes of the law, with burden of proof from the evidence collected. Thats what the officer who came to my school to give forsci lectures said.

Maybe he said wrongly or I wasn't paying attention and heard wrongly hahaha

If u bother to see 154 news, u will hear our law minister said it once. Even if u are aquitted of the crime doesnt mean u are innocent. And he also said that u are guilty until proven innocent. That is singapore law.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
worcer and helisiao both have a point. I do believe that the legal system is still based on presumption of innocence. However, statements have been made to question it and I do not recall there being an unequivocal finality on what the actual legal position is.

Here's an old article (just a quick google):

K. Shanmugam’s remarks on acquittals in law could open a pandora’s box
August 27, 2008 by Ng E-Jay
Filed under: Archives
Written by Ng E-Jay
27 Aug 2008

Law Minister K. Shanmugam has reiterated a stand made previously by Attorney-General Walter Woon that “not guilty in law” does not mean “innocent”. In other words, a person may not be factually innocent even if the law acquits him.

My immediate comment is: What is the point of reiterating and repeating this? Isn’t it a matter of common sense that no judicial system in the world can ever perfect, that sometimes guilty persons go scot free and innocent ones can be unjustly convicted?

K. Shanmugam told Parliament on Monday: “It is entirely possible for a person to have committed acts which amount to a crime and yet, there may be no conviction. I emphasise this: No serious lawyer will question this possibility.” He also said that witnesses may have changed their evidence, or a technicality may have got in the way, and these could result in the prosecution being unable to convince the judge that the man had done the deed. (ST, “Govt defends A-G’s stand on acquittals”, 26 Aug).

All these comments to me seem superfluous and needless, and could encourage the public to unnecessarily speculate on cases after the courts have passed a verdict.

Appeal Court Judge V. K. Rajah had also weighed in on the issue earlier. He did not refer to what the Attorney-General said, but made it clear that such comments could undermine confidence in the courts’ verdicts and the criminal justice system, which is based on the doctrine of “innocent until proven guilty“.

I am in full agreement with Judge V. K. Rajah. Attorney-General Walter Woon’s and K. Shanmugam’s latest comments could open a pandora’s box in which the public is encouraged to openly doubt the verdicts passed by courts or even to regard the so-called “Court of Public Opinion” as being of equal legitimacy as the actual courts.

Such open speculation would indeed undermine confidence in the courts’ verdicts and the criminal justice system.

But Mr Shanmugam re-affirmed that the presumption of innocence as an “important and fundamental principle” which the Government is “absolutely committed to upholding”.

But if so, why is he convoluting the whole subject?

The “not guilty” does not mean “innocent” remark is unfair for those who are indeed factually innocent. It puts this group of people permanently on the defensive, as their associates could well take Mr Shanmugam’s remarks as a license to doubt their true innocence.

Mr Shanmugam said that the reverse also applies: where a person is factually innocent but legally guilty. “This happens where the accused wants to plead guilty to a lesser charge and end the case … because his interest is to walk away as quickly as possible,” he said.

But isn’t this a clear miscarriage of justice? Why is Mr Shanmugam apparently taking such a light-hearted view of this?

I am unsure as to the whole point of the Law Minister and the Attorney-General remarks. Perhaps they have in mind certain cases in which they felt the accused was guilty, but the judge has to acquit him due to lack of evidence or because of technicalities.

But even so, the Law Minister’s rehashing of the subject could open a pandora’s box in which the public is given free reign to speculate on cases already closed and openly challenge verdicts. That would wreck havoc on the lives of those who are factually innocent but had to endure a trial to clear their name. The trial for such people could well become permanent, lasting the remainder of their lives.

It is certainly a pandora's box.

One thing to note is that notwithstanding the position in law, there are realities and practicalities in defending a legal position:

1. time and effort
2. resources and costs (legal fees, disbursements)
3. impact on employment/career
4. impact on reputation
5. impact on emotional/physical/psychological well-being
6. impact on family, friends, employer, workers etc
7. etc etc

Whilst one may be successful in exonerating himself or herself, there is always a price to pay and the prosecutors, LEO do not face the same fallout as the accused.

It's best to understand the lay of the land, and do best to put yourself in a defensible position when you choose a certain path, such that even if you land yourself in difficulty due to your choice, you would have prepared yourself to the best of your ability.

As I've mentioned previously, this hobby is one for mature and responsible adults (not minors, no matter how mature you are for your guardians/parents would have to bear the responsibility).

If you are a mature and responsible person, you would also be well versed with the lay of the land, and do what is necessary in order to continue to enjoy your hobby. There are many knife/sword collectors in Singapore, no doubt some are also prominent folks. You don't see them speaking publicly about their hobby. Wisdom, reservation and discretion is a must.

Last edited:

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
back to the more fun aspects, I have to say that I'm impressed with Benchmade's edges. I find them more polished that Spydercos (lower grit finish), that is to say I really like them. And Benchmade's customer service is superior to Spyderco - they do not charge for return postage, whereas Spyderco does (and it's a lot of $$). For americans, paying $5-10 for return postage for a $100 knife is fine. For Singaporeans, paying $30-50 for return postage (Express Mail) for the same $100 knife is :eek:

helisiao

Reaction score
Yes agreed. Few days back this lady was harassed by a drunkard and got 'rejected' by the 999 responder. in her Facebook post she said if she had a gun she would be able to defend herself. Seems like we might have a discussion about the issue.

Meanwhile, naise toy you got there sigma, seems like you've been busy in your absence :D

Sigmazxcs

Reaction score
Yes agreed. Few days back this lady was harassed by a drunkard and got 'rejected' by the 999 responder. in her Facebook post she said if she had a gun she would be able to defend herself. Seems like we might have a discussion about the issue.

Meanwhile, naise toy you got there sigma, seems like you've been busy in your absence :D

Busy is an understatement bro! Okay la, not quite. Just happily waiting the debate going on between worcer, vespaguy and you. HAHAHAHA.

I guess the days ahead will spell busy like never before! Plenty of mod work to get down too, and I'll also be purchasing materials to make my own glow rings and lanyard beads soon! Maybe I'll send one to Vespaguy for free since he did help me quite a fair bit. :)

Sigmazxcs

Reaction score
Hi guys,
A little update! Just had some time to sand off the DLC on my shallot again, so here's how she looks like now!
3F48D48E-C315-4C4B-AF4A-3EE9DC36FB89-7475-000003183914A518_zps82977993.jpg

0C155A95-18DB-496D-B784-628CC12A0904-7475-000003183EE8D171_zps8ec06dc0.jpg

Bought some real expensive sand paper from home fix at $1.50 each. Expensive but really good quality. Abrades well without wearing out as fast as cheapo $0.30 sheets.
This was what I achieved in 30mins using their 150grit paper. Tomorrow I shall finish the under surface and polish up to 500grit. Maybe a little of 0000 steel wool before I put it to my stove! :)
And do you guys think this shallot will look nicer in bluish or bronze anodized frames? And satin or stonewashed finish?

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
abrasive paper -3M abrasive paper is good. Yes, the 50cent paper sucks. You get what you pay. If you want extremely fine grit for finishing, you can try hobby shops that deal with remote control toys/models/art shops.

finish - both satin (not too fine) and stonewash look good. I prefer stonewash for users to hide scratches and satin (if too fine a grit) may be slippery. Of course, you should do what YOU like ;)

flame ano - stove top heat ano is quite hard to control. May I suggest that you buy a pocket butane torch / pen lighter (again, the art & craft shops or hobby shops or hardware shops would have them). This way you can have a smaller jet to control. You can also do the 'stripes' ala Strider. Spray some WD40 and flame away.

Looking forward to seeing your finished product :s12:.

Sigmazxcs

Reaction score
abrasive paper -3M abrasive paper is good. Yes, the 50cent paper sucks. You get what you pay. If you want extremely fine grit for finishing, you can try hobby shops that deal with remote control toys/models/art shops.

finish - both satin (not too fine) and stonewash look good. I prefer stonewash for users to hide scratches and satin (if too fine a grit) may be slippery. Of course, you should do what YOU like ;)

flame ano - stove top heat ano is quite hard to control. May I suggest that you buy a pocket butane torch / pen lighter (again, the art & craft shops or hobby shops or hardware shops would have them). This way you can have a smaller jet to control. You can also do the 'stripes' ala Strider. Spray some WD40 and flame away.

Looking forward to seeing your finished product :s12:.

Hey bro! Great hearing from you!
I think I'll be doing a stonewashed finish on it. I was quite tempted to do satin because I feel so lazy to tumble the scale by hand! HAHAHAHA

And heat ano for me isn't an issue. My stove is a glass top induction stove. :) quite even heat distribution. I'll be testing the capabilities with a steel shackle tonight before I proceeded to do a full scale/ liner. If it works out well, I'll try it on my 710 liners immediately. :)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.