Prepaid SIM cards in Thailand

GenerationX

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
my airport there colum put Bangkok international airport and suvarnabhumi internation airport. both same? there also got rail train and 7-11 de hor? :(

Last edited:

Beno777

Reaction score
Bro, go over to itinerary threads for more info, if not later tio kp here OT haha

xtwis7

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Actually the dtac happy tourist card I get it because it has the 100thb worth of calls which comes in really handy.

blastbl00

Reaction score
hey guys...

my number was quite nice and they have roaming..now that i'm back, actually doing a monthly iRefill at DTAC website for 50baht (just to keep the number), else it will be cut

does anyone know how to reactivate the happy tourist 299baht free 7 days 3G internet?
or is it just a one off free starting from the 1st day u buy till the 7th..?

GenerationX

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Help... how to call within thailand with the sim card? I try to call it got ended call n balance got cut

leonaheidern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Flying off at 17.35 hrs today

any idea if they still give out TrueMove InterSIM at the Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport?

Plan to get one for my tablet and dtac for my sony xperia z.

angsuah

Reaction score
BEWARE!!
Just had a bad experience with dishonest DTAC dealer in Platinum Mall.
For those looking to get the Happy Tourist 299 Sim, pls read and be informed.

Like many others who had googled on the various prepaid plans avail in Thailand, I decided on the Happy Tourist 299 which seem to give the best bang for my buck.

1st day in bkk, I headed for the DTAC dealer in Platinum Mall. Upon reaching the shop..
ME: Swdee Krap, Happy Tourist 299
SALESREP: (gently) Yes
..following which, she showed me a placard displaying 2 plans and pointed out one of which was 269Baht with 1 week unlimited internet.
ME: I want the 299Baht Happy Tourist
S/R: (gently) Yes, this is the plan. We do it for 269B only
..what a good deal I thought. Nothing to worry since it's an authorised dealer.
ME: Ok, I'll take it.
..went to counter paid 269B, no receipt issued. (Lesson learnt, always ask for receipt)
Salesrep plug the microsim into my iPad and tested. Data comin thru. Alrite job done.
when I got back to hotel, I plug the sim into my phone and check the prepaid balance then did I find out that I was given a Happy Tourist 49B plan + additional 199B Happy Internet (1 week unlimited)
Those 2 added up to only 248B so the salesrep had carrot me of 21B. Well, one will think it's a win-win situation right? WRONG!

The 299 Happy Tourist plan would have given me 1 week of unlimited internet without bandwidth throttle limit + free wifi(handy in case 3G fails).
But now, the 49 Happy Tourist only gives me 1 day unlimited 3G(no wifi), and the 199 Happy Internet (1wk Unlimited) only gives me 1gb of unthrottled bandwidth.

Dishonest salesrep !

magnus

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mine was marked up by 60thb. But still get what i want. not so bad.

Many dealer shops will either marked up the price or try to sell u different package. To play safe one should go the the main dtac center. Pantip plaza, central world and mbk i know have.

leonaheidern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ok I landed at Suvarnabhumi Airport on 18th July 2013 and winded up at gate 7 where the AIS and DTAC counters are around 7.45pm I got 2 299 bhat Happy Tourist SIMs for my Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet and Sony Xperia Z phone

Long queue so the counter staff just activate the sim for you.

you have to put the SIMs into the phone and tablet yourself

49 bhat Happy Tourist SIM does not have the DTAC WiFi but you get 1 day unlimited 3G/ Edge internet and you can top up for 49 bhat a day by dialing *104*29*9# more info here

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/products/Happy-internet-package.html

to use WiFi on the 299 bhat Happy Tourist get your mobile no first as the username by dialing *102*9# then dial *4000# for an Sms with your Wi-Fi password to be sent via Sms. it will be a 4 digit number then turn on WiFi and look for hotspot name @ dtac wifi then you will be prompted to open a browser to sign in

APN settings as below
Name : DTAC Internet
APN : dtac
MCC : 520
MNC : 18
APN type : default,supl
APN protocol : IPv4
APN roaming protocol : IPv4

Name : DTAC MMS
APN : mms
MMSC : http://mms.dtac.co.th:8002/
MMS proxy : 203.155.200.133
MMS port : 8080
MCC : 520
MNC : 18
APN type : mms
APN protocol : IPv4
APN roaming protocol : IPv4

anything not mention for APN settings leave as default

to check call credit balance dial *101*9#

Last edited:

hlw8888

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if @ Don Muang airport, where shld i get the happy tourism 299 Baht sim card?

pls kindly advise. thks.

me going to stay at ibis siam hotel.

leonaheidern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if @ Don Muang airport, where shld i get the happy tourism 299 Baht sim card?

pls kindly advise. thks.

me going to stay at ibis siam hotel.

from what I googled there is no dtac counter at don maung airport. there is a 7-11 store near gate 31 at don maung airport that sells dtac happy tourist SIM and the top up cards

http://www.bangkokairports.org/don-mueang-airport/dmk-terminal-1/151-don-mueang-buy-telephone-sim-card

Last edited:

GenerationX

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi leonaheidern , did u try to call using the card? I try to call but call was being rejected. I call the helpdesk but it talk very long and in thai so i put down and i check bal i was being deducted then i dare not call out anymore. But on my last day i saw my card left 22baht only. Any idea why like tat ar?

leonaheidern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi leonaheidern , did u try to call using the card? I try to call but call was being rejected. I call the helpdesk but it talk very long and in thai so i put down and i check bal i was being deducted then i dare not call out anymore. But on my last day i saw my card left 22baht only. Any idea why like tat ar?

I was calling my mum on another dtac number. shes also on dtac but she took the 49 bhat + 100 bhat call credit option instead.

Er i didn't experience what you did but when I left BKK today i still had around 60 bhat left.

There were a few times I called her and I got some music connecting tone then the call rejected ( i suspect that was a cross line)

And maybe one or two times the call got rejected straight away though my mum says that she never received the call.

We communicated by whatsapp most of the time.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.