POSB Invest Saver

3dfxplayer

Reaction score
You are basically paying POSB to help you buy STI ETF, you will end up paying the sales charge AND the management fees of STI ETF (yes there is a management fee, albeit a low one).

Totally pointless.

lzydata

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You are basically paying POSB to help you buy STI ETF, you will end up paying the sales charge AND the management fees of STI ETF (yes there is a management fee, albeit a low one).

Totally pointless.

Obviously such regular savings plans are for people who want to commit to investing and to invest small amounts regularly. Of course they could just accumulate their savings and do it every 3 or 6 months, or whenever they believe that the market is at a low, but are you so sure that people would be better off trying to do that? Assuming they even want to do that. This is also for people with commitment issues or who know that they will shoot themselves in the foot by making bad predictions or trading. At least this way they can stay invested for the long run.

As for the STI ETF's management fee, seriously, can we expect retail investors to accumulate a portfolio of 30 blue chip stocks by themselves? We must look at what the alternatives are, not some hypothetical world where everything is free.

POEMS and OCBC's plans are too expensive but I consider POSB's reasonable. Even if you buy the ETF through a broker you have to pay commissions.

lusunshine

Reaction score
If my understand is right. - "setup the regular saving plan (RSP) to invest up to $500 per month into the fund, it will be 0% sales charge."

You only pay 1.5% of 1k for initial (first) transaction. Subsequent RSP monthly purchase will be not have any sales charges as long as not >$500

Yes, you are right :)

eyeburn

Reaction score
Step 1: Login your DBS/POSB ibanking -> Investment & Trading -> Unit Trust Purchase -> Cash Purchase -> Select fund manager (Nikko AM) -> Select the fund name -> Submit -> Confirm
Step 2: Login your DBS/POSB ibanking -> Investment & Trading -> Unit Trust Regular Savings Plan -> Setup/Update Regular Savings Plan -> Select the fund name -> Submit -> Confirm

Don't walk in branches as 1.5% sales charge is only applicable via ibanking.

Thanks for the tip. Just set this up. $500 every month RSP.

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There is an alternative way for you to invest in STI at even cheaper cost than POSB Invest Saver:

DBS/POSB is offering unit trust regular saving plan (RSP) at 0% sales charge for the first $500 per month per fund. However Nikko AM Singapore STI ETF is not under the subscription list, so the closest one to subscribe is Nikko AM MyHome Fund - HomeGrowth, it's 80% in Nikko AM Singapore STI ETF and 20% in ABF Singapore Bond Index Fund.

firstly, dont do this if you are planning to hold for very long term.

the introduced so called "cheaper" method has no sales charge but higher management fees. an additional of 0.3% of management fees compared to the PIS account.

the PIS one time sales charge of 1% will break even if you can hold for more than 3 years.

secondly, the underlyings of both fund are different. the homegrowth will probably have lower volatility but lower long term returns because of the bonds allocation.

in overall, both BCIP and PIS are recommended plans for the lower monthly amount.

for monthly investment amount of lets say 1k and above, i will still recommend the PSBP one.

and once again, let me iterate that such DCA plans are not easily replicable through a SCB trading account. the execution and experience are totally different. for someone who is looking for a plan that is an auto pilot and dont wish to monitor the market, these DCA plans are the recommended ones.

Mad_Stranger

Reaction score
There is an alternative way for you to invest in STI at even cheaper cost than POSB Invest Saver:

DBS/POSB is offering unit trust regular saving plan (RSP) at 0% sales charge for the first $500 per month per fund. However Nikko AM Singapore STI ETF is not under the subscription list, so the closest one to subscribe is Nikko AM MyHome Fund - HomeGrowth, it's 80% in Nikko AM Singapore STI ETF and 20% in ABF Singapore Bond Index Fund.

http://www.dbs.com.sg/Resources/personal/docs/investments/additionalinfo/factsheets/homegrowth.pdf

Comparing two funds annual management fee, 0.5% vs 0.2%, still better than paying 1% sales charge.

How to do it:

Firstly, subscribe an minimal initial amount of $1000, the net sales charge is 1.5%
Secondly, setup the regular saving plan (RSP) to invest up to $500 per month into the fund, it will be 0% sales charge.

Everything can be completed via ibanking including future redemption, there is no redemption charges for DBS/POSB unit trust investments.

Although this promotion is subjectd to renewal once a year, DBS/POSB has been renewing it for the past 4 years as what I can recall.

If you don't like the 20% bond allocation, another alternative is Nikko AMSingapore Dividend Equity Fund, the fund has outperformed its benchmark STI Index consistently and paying monthly dividend at 5 to 7%p.a.

http://www.dbs.com.sg/Resources/personal/docs/investments/additionalinfo/factsheets/nam_shenton_sg_div_eq.pdf

interesting method, but note that the 0% sales charge promotion for rsp will end on 31 dec 2013

WindBoi

Reaction score
I came up with my contribution > Why you should build wealth passively with POSB Invest-Saver

I think if i were to say objectively, active unit trust in singapore do better.

If you are cost concious you will find that the expense ratio is very low for this ETF.

The sales charge is higher than SCB but what i will consider this is that this is a necessary evil for many.

My colleague was telling me. This is a godsend. It is so difficult to get his lazy wife to sign up a trading account and to get her to monthly buy an ETF.

This although is more expensive, does it AUTOMATICALLY. In life you need to design your processes around procastinations and cognitive disorders.

This is one product.

For a lot of people, having this dear product can be much better than putting it in other costlier assets that give obscure results.

eveee99

Reaction score
I came up with my contribution > Why you should build wealth passively with POSB Invest-Saver

If you are cost concious you will find that the expense ratio is very low for this ETF.

The sales charge is higher than SCB but what i will consider this is that this is a necessary evil for many.

My colleague was telling me. This is a godsend. It is so difficult to get his lazy wife to sign up a trading account and to get her to monthly buy an ETF.

This although is more expensive, does it AUTOMATICALLY. In life you need to design your processes around procastinations and cognitive disorders.

This is one product.

For a lot of people, having this dear product can be much better than putting it in other costlier assets that give obscure results.

I read your blog post with interest and wonder about that friend of yours who uses $1k every mth to buy STI ETF. I'm puzzled cos I thought u need abt $3k+ to buy 1 lot of STI ETF, given a price at say, $3.30+? How did he manage to buy with only $1k a mth?

blackvice

Master Member
Reaction score
I read your blog post with interest and wonder about that friend of yours who uses $1k every mth to buy STI ETF. I'm puzzled cos I thought u need abt $3k+ to buy 1 lot of STI ETF, given a price at say, $3.30+? How did he manage to buy with only $1k a mth?

Nikko Am sti etf 1 lot is 100 shares if not wrong ..and posb saver invest on this counter .

loonybun

Reaction score
Any idea if buying thru invest-saver, the divds paid will be reinvested into the funds direct automatically? or credited to the savings account?

eveee99

Reaction score
Nikko Am sti etf 1 lot is 100 shares if not wrong ..and posb saver invest on this counter .

I see. So the other STI ETF I see on sgx i.e. STI ETF (ES3.SI) is 1000 per lot. That is the only difference between this and the Nikko AM STI ETF? Thinking of asking my mommy to invest ... but duno should just buy direct from SGX or do it thru POSB ...hmmm

reflush

Reaction score
the cheapest is to buy 1 lot Nikko AM Singapore STI ETF using SCB online trading as 1 lot cost $300++

SCB online trading comission is 0.2%

Hi..,
can share step by step how to use scb online trading to buy Nikko AM Singapore STI ETF?

If i just walk-in to scb, then tell i want buy Nikko AM Singapore STI ETF, is the charge higher? can share how much higher?

I read some post in hardwarezone, to open trading account at scb need previous trading experience + (maybe) deposit $2k, etc. Anyone can share if above information correct?

hope with more step by step guide(like lusunshine did) more beginner investment like me know how to start the investment :)

Carnesir

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi..,
can share step by step how to use scb online trading to buy Nikko AM Singapore STI ETF?

If i just walk-in to scb, then tell i want buy Nikko AM Singapore STI ETF, is the charge higher? can share how much higher?

I read some post in hardwarezone, to open trading account at scb need previous trading experience + (maybe) deposit $2k, etc. Anyone can share if above information correct?

hope with more step by step guide(like lusunshine did) more beginner investment like me know how to start the investment :)
Fees are lower for a reason, definitely much more hassle, and tougher barriers to entry cause need prerequisites.

But alot of things are DIY

lusunshine

Reaction score
For information:

POSB Invest Saver Launch Promotion - $0 Sales Charge

* Promotion is valid till 31 August 2013 for the first S$500. Sales charge of 1% is applicable to the investment amount in excess of the first S$500 and on the subsequent deductions after the promotion ends. Terms & Conditions apply. We reserve the right to amend the terms and conditions of this offer without notice.

You will get the first two months investment FOC if investing now :)

lusunshine

Reaction score
interesting method, but note that the 0% sales charge promotion for rsp will end on 31 dec 2013

Hope they will extend another year as per what they did for the past 4 years. Anyway if not, you can terminate RSP anytime without any charges or penalties.

lusunshine

Reaction score

This is one product.

Agree, that's why personally I chose Nikko AM Singapore Dividend Equity instead of Nikko AM STI ETF.

I don't mind to pay a bit higher for the potential out-performance as well as convenience and easy-access.

Jacky2000

Reaction score
For information:

POSB Invest Saver Launch Promotion - $0 Sales Charge

* Promotion is valid till 31 August 2013 for the first S$500. Sales charge of 1% is applicable to the investment amount in excess of the first S$500 and on the subsequent deductions after the promotion ends. Terms & Conditions apply. We reserve the right to amend the terms and conditions of this offer without notice.

You will get the first two months investment FOC if investing now :)

Meaning to say, from the 3rd mth onwards, it will be 1% of the investment amt? Since its RSP, then every mth 1%?

eveee99

Reaction score
Agree, that's why personally I chose Nikko AM Singapore Dividend Equity instead of Nikko AM STI ETF.

I don't mind to pay a bit higher for the potential out-performance as well as convenience and easy-access.

So, u bought the dividend equity direct from Nikko AM? how much is the minimum amount u need to invest every month?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.