Is my workout routine ok?

freddisier

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I've been lifting weight for about half a year, following stronglifts. I guess I'm still considered pretty much a beginner while I can only squat just a bit more than my body weight. So far my strength gain is really a lot but still no where near enough. But I'd like to move into a different routine, with more emphasis on body building, instead of strength, and also more focus for my upper body and achieving hypertrophy at the same time.

I'm thinking of the following workout. Hope to have you guys opinions on it.
Mon - Upper body
Tues - Rest
Wed - Lower body
Thurs - Rest
Fri - Upper body
Sat & Sun: rest

Upper body routine:
Overhead press 3x8
Barbell bent-over rows 3x8
Incline dumbbell press 3x8
Dumbell flys 3x8
Bicep curls 3x8

Lower body routine:
Back squat: 3x8
Weighted Calf Raise: 3x8
Leg Press: 3x8
Deadlift: 3x5 (maybe less)

Thanks guys. really appreciate your comments. I don't have any friends with body building experience to talk about this :(

Gentooist

Reaction score
maybe your height/weight (before/after), diet and some photos can help people give you better advice.

sazuro

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Check out my thread in the stickies. Don't plan your own routine if you feel you're a beginner. Choose one of the templates there and stick with it for a few months.

freddisier

Reaction score
Hi guys, about my stats.
I am 1m80 tall with 65kg.
So far for the past 6 months I have gained 10kg. current body fat % around 12%

I can squat about 80kg incl bar for 3x5 reps. deadlift about the same. Dunno what my 1rep max is at... Still pretty much a newbie.

Diet wise, I do try to eat as much as possible, also taking creatine pre workout, and proteins + dextrose post workout.

Still, is this routine ok if i want to focus more on my upper body and gaining size? I do plan to up the weight progressively as I can as well.

Thanks a lot guys

useryoung

Reaction score
It's ok to focus more on upper body if you don't mind having disproportionate body.

Use macro wisely and focus on progressive overload.

freddisier

Reaction score
i do that because I feel my upper body is really a lot weaker than my lower body. So far I have progressed a lot on squats n deadlift, but keep stalling on overhead press, rows and bench :(

lee_tired_sheep

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
how do you look like? show pic leh:s12:

6528f3f143a1db743a30a3c4443d35c8.jpg

guess which one

galapogos

Reaction score
If you're 1.8m, only 65kg and only squat/deadlift 80kg, I would stick with a full body workout and eat a lot until you're at least 15kg heavier and lift 1.5x of what you're lifting now before even considering any kind of specialization.

freddisier

Reaction score
@galapagos

so am I right in deducing from your post that, if somebody cannot squat/deadlift 1.5x his body weight, they should just stick to a full body workout?

jokerk

Master Member
Reaction score
@galapagos

so am I right in deducing from your post that, if somebody cannot squat/deadlift 1.5x his body weight, they should just stick to a full body workout?

and the fact that you are light for your height. you'd be able to gain more muscle mass effectively using the standard beginner compound workouts (squat deadlifts benchpress ohp bbrows). you'd lose fat somewhat along the way(i know thats your long term main goal), but short term goal is to gain some muscle mass right now.

freddisier

Reaction score
thanks jokerk, the thing is most of exercises that I do are also compound workouts already (except some curls and flys), i just split them into 2 groups (upper and lower body) to do it on different days and alter the rep ranges a bit, make it 8 instead of 5 for hypertrophy.

I just think if I focus on one half of my body for a work out, i can work it much more, and also have more time to recover because the next workout i'd be doing the other half of my body.

that sounds logical right? i dunno, i really lack experience... hope you guys can help me understand better.

also, how do you know my long term main goal is to lose fat? no my main goal is to gain muscle as i think 12% body fat is not too bad right? of course I would like to cut it further but it doesn't bother me now.

Last edited:

BradLee

Reaction score
What i felt is u should not totally ditch these foundation lifts
squat, DL, bench press, OHP etc. even u have reach 1.5 BW weight.
Even those elites or advance folks are still doing these.

What u can do is beside doing these lift add in accessories along the way. Isnt it better?

I treat them like main course and desserts, do your main first then enjoy your desserts.

freddisier

Reaction score
What i felt is u should not totally ditch these foundation lifts
squat, DL, bench press, OHP etc. even u have reach 1.5 BW weight.
Even those elites or advance folks are still doing these.

What u can do is beside doing these lift add in accessories along the way. Isnt it better?

I treat them like main course and desserts, do your main first then enjoy your desserts.

yes, i know they are important, but I don't intend to ditch them. they are still all over my workout...

BradLee

Reaction score
I know is still there but it is the focus, for example ur program do not have bench press but incline dumbbell press. You also said u wanna focus on upper body. so u are like taking your desserts as your main, then treat your main as desserts. i know u wanna buckup your upper body as u say it cannot progress much compared to your lower body.

hmm sometimes it may not be the program that u need to change. For example if your BP stalled could it be because your technique is not correct? or sometimes ppl have phobia over certain lift. I was once phobia over squats because i had a few falls while doing it initially then i stop doing it for quite a while scared that i might fall again.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.