[Mini-Shootout] Fiio Taishan D03K v.s. HifiMeDiy Sabre USB DAC

darkarn

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, previously, I was wondering about whether to go for the HifiMeDiy Sabre USB DAC and decided to go test it against my current Fiio Taishan D03K.

Special thanks to RazorLotus for letting me test his HifiMeDiy Sabre USB DAC!

Setup: My laptop, Beyerdynamics Custom One Pro (bass slider position 2)

Initialization
Taishan: Needs an optical cable, connect from optical out port to the Taishan. It is powered by mini-USB (from provided power adapter or from computer).
HifiMeDiy: Just plug in to any USB port, let it install driver can liao.

Sound Quality
Taishan: We noted that it feels more flat, no significant loss of any details. You can say that it's a little analytical.
HifiMeDiy: Significantly louder than the Taishan; I had to turn down the volume a bit to match the Taishan's. We noted how forward sounding it is, with the slightly higher mids. I also noticed that the bass seem deeper and more pronounced with this.

Verdict (for now)
It's tough to choose between them for my case, considering that I have not gotten my amp yet to use with them and therefore see which synergy is more suited for me. So for now I will put it this way:

Taishan: Analytical, more for home setup due to the optical cable and whatnot. Its analytical nature may go well with those who wants their amp's nature to stand out more. The one year warranty you get from resellers like Treoo (I got mine from them) may come in handy.
HifiMeDiy: More musical sounding (and warm), more for portable setup as it's just plug-and-play. Note that it has no warranty.

I hope this can help in your decision in picking that sub-100 DAC, thanks for reading! :)

Last edited:

RazorLotus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
jol2g9b.jpg

LionPlushie

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the USB receiver chip i think.

your one is using the Tenor TE7022L, works in adaptive mode. U2 using SAVITECH SA9023, works in asynchronous mode.

USB Audio uses Isochronous data transfer in either synchronous, adaptive or asynchronous mode.
* In synchronous mode, the length of a second is defined by the host device. That is, the host will send data at a rate, and the device has to exactly match that rate.
* In asynchronous mode it is the other way around, the device sets the definition of a second, and the host has to match the device.
* In adaptive mode the data flow determines the clock.

LionPlushie

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
so now better to hoot U2? :s12:

or wait for the UD110, see if its async.

Nitrile you last time moderator right?

RazorLotus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the USB receiver chip i think.

your one is using the Tenor TE7022L, works in adaptive mode. U2 using SAVITECH SA9023, works in asynchronous mode.

USB Audio uses Isochronous data transfer in either synchronous, adaptive or asynchronous mode.
* In synchronous mode, the length of a second is defined by the host device. That is, the host will send data at a rate, and the device has to exactly match that rate.
* In asynchronous mode it is the other way around, the device sets the definition of a second, and the host has to match the device.
* In adaptive mode the data flow determines the clock.

can put in laymans terms annot?

LOL, I mean, I understand the sentences. But why need set definition for one second?

Whats the diff and what will happen to the sound?

LionPlushie

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
asynchronous will make use of the clock on the device. and not your computer's clock.

you know some people upgrade the clock on their cd player or what? say what will improve the sound. i never try before tho lol.

adaptive is set the clock according to the data flow. i think it means it depends on what kind of data you are sending.

RazorLotus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
asynchronous will make use of the clock on the device. and not your computer's clock.

you know some people upgrade the clock on their cd player or what? say what will improve the sound. i never try before tho lol.

adaptive is set the clock according to the data flow. i think it means it depends on what kind of data you are sending.

Is it the same clock as over clock??

Or am I missing something??

darkarn

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Post updated; apparently Hifimediy does not give warranty for its DAC :(

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.