Asus RT-AC66U and USB-AC56 Problem

ToOn_07

Reaction score
I just bought Asus RT-AC66U router and USB-AC56 adapter from Comex to set-up with my Singtel Fibre 200Mbps. The set-up for my desktop using the USB-AC56 adapter is just 7-10 steps away from the AC66 router but I noticed that my wireless network connection status is showing only 130Mbps speed on 5Ghz despite having full signal strength. The speed on 5Ghz I am getting is even slower than when I am connected on 2.4Ghz @ 144.5Mbps

I've updated the firmware to the latest version:
ASUS RT-AC66U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.374.726
ASUS USB-AC56 Driver: 1023.6.225.2013

My PC is running on Windows 7. I config the router using the profile "Singtel-Others" and my connection is as follows:

ONT -> Mio Voice
|
AC66U -> Port 4 Mio TV
|
Wifi USB-AC56 to desktop 7-10 steps away from router

Last edited:

tamjinhang

Reaction score
hmm, go to router settings and try setting channel bandwidth for the 5ghz connection to 80Mhz and try again? speed should increase.

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
Kindly follow below settings

lqv5sluvrl6wksc6g.jpg

ToOn_07

Reaction score
I am currently on this setting but it makes no difference from the auto modes.. is there any other solution?

Thanks

Last edited:

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
How far is your computer and router?

How many room flat?

Bypass how many wall?

ToOn_07

Reaction score
I am staying in a 3 room flat.. desktop and router is about 7-8 steps away.. only 1 wall in between

I use singtel wifi scanner to check that the wifi channels around me are clean and low traffic as well

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
I am staying in a 3 room flat.. desktop and router is about 7-8 steps away.. only 1 wall in between

I use singtel wifi scanner to check that the wifi channels around me are clean and low traffic as well

Shouldn't have any issue. i also staying in 3 room flat.

all my 5Ghz can cover with good speed.

Can you try pc to pc transfer file? using wireless

ToOn_07

Reaction score
I haven't tried that but i done a few speedtest including internet speedtest hosted by my isp singtel and only managed 40-50 Mbps average internet speed as my wifi speed is stuck at 130 Mbps (80 MHz) @ 5GHz (Wifi Status) instead of somewhere near my adapter specification speed of 867Mbps.

The funny thing is that I get 144.5Mbps (20MHz) @ 2.4GHz (Wifi Status) and average internet speedtest manage to get 90-100Mbps.

Also, i noticed when playing game @ 2.4Ghz is totally smooth and no lag but when playing game @ 5Ghz it is choppy and laggy.

My Singtel fibre plan is 200 Mbps btw.

Is there any settings that i should do for my USB-AC56 wifi adapter instead to fix this problem?

Anyway, I didn't install anything from the CDs in the box, just plug and play and download latest drivers from ASUS website.. but I don't think this has got anything to do with it.

PS: On 2.4G when i set my channel bandwidth to 40MHz instead, my speed can get stable constant 300Mbps which is the adapter specification speed indicated for 2.4G.

Last edited:

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
I advise you call avertek.

Avertek Enterprises Pte Ltd

95 Kallang Avenue #03-00
AIS Industrial Building Singapore 339420
Tel: (65) 6341 7839 Fax: (65) 63417739

Operating Hours

9.30am - 6.00 pm ( Mondays – Friday)

Closed on Saturday, Sundays and Public Holidays

ToOn_07

Reaction score
I will be bringing both router and adapter to Avertek to check.. I believe something is faulty already.. =(
hope i can get an exchange for a new set

ToOn_07

Reaction score
Okie, they will check for you.

I've just gone down to Avertek.. they have troubleshooted and replaced both my sets for me.. good service.. however the technician guy told me that 5g wifi have to be in line of sight, cannot have wall or anything blocking if not the signal will be very poor.. but I thought I've seen many review of ppl able to have decent connection on 5g even with 1 wall..

Anyway i Going to try setting up and test everything again over the weekend and hopefully everything will be working fine

ToOn_07

Reaction score
Ok, the signal was better after I got the new replacement sets for the first 2 days.. though i am not getting max speed 867Mbps on 5GHz but at least it was doing better than the previous going at around 200Mbps now.

However, the signal somehow seems to have detoriate on the 3rd day where i am only getting 90-130Mbps on 5GHz now.. it is so frustrating the 5GHz just can't seem to work properly.

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
Ok, the signal was better after I got the new replacement sets for the first 2 days.. though i am not getting max speed 867Mbps on 5GHz but at least it was doing better than the previous going at around 200Mbps now.

However, the signal somehow seems to have detoriate on the 3rd day where i am only getting 90-130Mbps on 5GHz now.. it is so frustrating the 5GHz just can't seem to work properly.

90-130Mbps is link speed or speedtest?

ToOn_07

Reaction score
It's link speed.. it's the same even after I reboot.. same problem with the first set i had.. very slow when on 5G

ccchin

Reaction score
Hi, I am also facing the same issue of fluctuating link speed for the usb-ac56 adaptor in both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz band. The link speed switches every couple of seconds between 54 ~ 867mbps in the 5Ghz band and 54 ~ 144mbps in the 2.4Ghz band.

It cannot be due to interference since I am the only 5Ghz band user in the vicinity. File transfer speed from my NAS range from 1 to 3MB/s so I am getting 54mbps link speed only.

I am using RT-AC56U as my router using the latest stock firmware 3.0.0.4.374_158. Any suggestions in solving this fluctuating link speed issue?

Thanks.

Last edited:

ToOn_07

Reaction score
Asus@SG, do u have any more solution for me? Still having very poor and unstable 5G wifi connection.

Yesterday wifi speed surprisingly got up to 292mbps when I just turn the router.. still slow but better than 130Mbps... but after an hour it still drop back to 97.5 - 130mbps.. I didn't do any settings or shift the router.

Signal is around -60 to -65dbm most of the time for 5G

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.