Xperia Z1 - One Sony

devintageplace

Reaction score
I was at J8 with my wife earlier this evening. Just sharing on my first impression on the Z1. I tried in the Singtel and sony shop.
1) Z1 is very 'solid' nice to hold (for me, I like big phone).
2) the edges are smooth, I don't see any edges will cut my hands.
3) Interface is smooth like butter, display quite bright, simple and easy to use.
4) I tried the camera in low light(quite dim in the shop), the image I took isn't quite impressive. I had my S3 taken a few shots, S3's photos are sharper.Maybe I don't know how to configure the camera.
5) My wife says the phone is very warm compare to many other phones in the shops.
6) I open the music, set the volume halfway in Z1 I can't hear anything, I tried my S3 n my wife's note 2, still can hear the music but very dim. (background quite noisy) I set to full in volume, Z1's music is still very soft n kinda distorded, not my S3 n note 2.(maybe be'cos of the waterproofing)
7) White is very chio, purple n black got very visible fingerprints.(I'll still go for black)

Overall I like the phone, I'll still buy it when it's launched on 4th Oct.
I'm not trolling here, don't shoot me ha....

Last edited:

saiyan2005

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I went to jurong point sony shop to take alook a as well. for camera shoots wise i am not very familiar with the setting but i find that if u choose the shoots to manual wise the photo are very clear. it is much better than superior shoots.

hmm as for temp wise after few shoots it is abit warm ba. as for phone weight not that heavy as i tot maybe i used to carried heavy stuff:D

There is no sharp edges ard the phone as pointed by others.I can still hold it on one hand

rssd21

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I was at J8 with my wife earlier this evening. Just sharing on my first impression on the Z1. I tried in the Singtel and sony shop.
1) Z1 is very 'solid' nice to hold (for me, I like big phone).
2) the edges are smooth, I don't see any edges will cut my hands.
3) Interface is smooth like butter, display quite bright, simple and easy to use.
4) I tried the camera in low light(quite dim in the shop), the image I took isn't quite impressive. I had my S3 taken a few shots, S3's photos are sharper.Maybe I don't know how to configure the camera.
5) My wife says the phone is very warm compare to many other phones in the shops.
6) I open the music, set the volume halfway in Z1 I can't hear anything, I tried my S3 n my wife's note 2, still can hear the music but very dim. (background quite noisy) I set to full in volume, Z1's music is still very soft n kinda distorded, not my S3 n note 2.(maybe be'cos of the waterproofing)
7) White is very chio, purple n black got very visible fingerprints.(I'll still go for black)

Overall I like the phone, I'll still buy it when it's launched on 4th Oct.
I'm not trolling here, don't shoot me ha....

You can play around with the camera settings if you have problems with focusing. The superior auto mode does not really focus very well in certain conditions, which is true for Z and TX.

Speaker volume is a good and take, the best you could do is to compare with another water-resistant phone since this type of phones have softer speakers.
Sony thinks that consumers do not need another smaller and non-water-resistant phone with identical specifications. :D

cloudaeris

Reaction score
marcokao_2_SONY-_367b391d8c96c5ac44e5f1ea8f25564a_zps7f105637.jpg

By sharp edges i mean this, i dunno about most ppl, but for me when im holding the phone with one hand, i'll always place my little finger at the bottom of the phone to support it, the edges in red has no chamfer to them so it feels sharp.

been a huge sony fan, owning Xperia play, S and Acro S, will probably get this one too as i've been wanting an upgrade, maybe change to the mini version when it does come out.

shahulvm

Reaction score
Tried both Xperia Z1 and LG G2 at the Singtel shop at J8. I asked the LG representative for the phone, took it next to Xperia Z1 and took couple of shots with similar settings by focusing on the same object.

After checking and trying both, have made my decision based on my preferences & short experience in handling it.

Last edited:

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Jus went to wisma to try out the z1.... feels good in terms of build, just nice on my small hands although it is 5", somehow one set keep having camera malfunction, but other set didnt have. Picture looks good, though i didnt check settings, but once i zoom in, it starts 2 look grainy n blur.

Tink this may be the phone to change to.

colinc88

Reaction score
Here is my first impression after testing all 3 color sets of Z1 at Sony store:

1. The device is not sturdy but robust, I tried squeezing all 3 sets and they are really hard.

2. The flaps are very good now, all can rotate.

3. The camera lens is protected by a metal ring with protruded a little.

4. The images capture was superb, even when I pinch zoom it is still showing sharp images, shutter speed is really responsive, I press the shutter on screen many times and it capture instantaneously. The dedicated button too as responsive.

5. UI is very responsive and speakers are great with good stereo output, when I maxed out the audio, the sound does not have any distortion.

6. One thing I find it not very nice is the omni on button which have shrunk and not so distinctive.

7. My personal preference of color would be purple, Z1 purple color is very unique and even better compare to Z purple. The Z1 purple is has this metallic effect and to me it felt like one of its kind in all of the smartphones available. The white is good for anti finger print smudges.

Sony Xperia Z1 really win me over, I will trade off my 6 months old Z for Z1. I just hope it will not suffer from yellow hue problem. So far all the 3 demo sets screen is superb.

wolvie77

Reaction score
I went suntec shop try. Staff tell me there is no magnetic contact charging wire to charge the phone without opening the flap or using a dock. He say he using ultra currently & if got suchba cable he will want one too.

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Tried both Xperia Z1 and LG G2 at the Singtel shop at J8. I asked the LG representative for the phone, took it next to Xperia Z1 and took couple of shots with similar settings by focusing on the same object.

After checking and trying both, have made my decision based on my preferences & short experience in handling it.

What is ur decision??? :D

colinc88

Reaction score
Black not nice?

IMHO Sony XZ1 Black is not really nice because of the metal frame colour that create a very contrast 2 tone effect. The finishing of the aluminum frame gave me a feel that the phone look washed out at the side.

You may want to go check it out yourself, you may like it more than I do.

rssd21

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Yeah, what is your verdict? LOL

foosoomin

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if referring to photo quality result, go for Z1.

good quality photos taken

ceestudent

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Try the demo set at sony store. Like the camera feature, body also feel premium.
Anyone have idea whether this phone support UHS-1 micro sd card?
Still cannot decide between this phone or note 3. Note 3 screen looks nicer actually. But, feel plasticky compare to z1.

carlover76

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Try the demo set at sony store. Like the camera feature, body also feel premium.
Anyone have idea whether this phone support UHS-1 micro sd card?
Still cannot decide between this phone or note 3. Note 3 screen looks nicer actually. But, feel plasticky compare to z1.

Note 3 screen is oversaturated due to the AMOLED and it will suffer the same fate as any Samsung smartphones which will have burn marks on the screen.

Those who do not know the difference between Note 3 or LCD screen, you can check out the video below :

In terms of PPI, Note 3 has only 386 PPI while Z1 has 441 so you will know that the image in Z1 will look sharper and nicer than Note 3.

ceestudent

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your info, carlover76.
This will help me to decide which phone to buy:s13:
Z1 is nice to hold, the premium feeling is there. Quite impressive with the camera also. Just my 2 cents

elementz

Master Member
Reaction score
5. UI is very responsive and speakers are great with good stereo output, when I maxed out the audio, the sound does not have any distortion.

Z1 has stereo speakers?

I find the speaker to be still soft, though it seems louder than Z. Still undecided.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.