Dongdaemun market and Myeongdong

yuMMy_30

Reaction score
Hi all,

Is dongdaemun market and Myeongdong nearby?

Which area should I stay in?

TIA:)

consecutor

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yes they are nearby. they are only one or two stops away from each other in the train map. where u should stay is up to you. myeongdong is full of upscale malls and is far more tourist-friendly, but dongdaemun is where the good deals are.

weiyang76

Master Member
Reaction score
yes they are nearby. they are only one or two stops away from each other in the train map. where u should stay is up to you. myeongdong is full of upscale malls and is far more tourist-friendly, but dongdaemun is where the good deals are.

slightly off in the description. there isn't many upscale malls in korea. if there are, they are pretty much deserted - especially fashion malls. the only one that's surviving well is megliore in dongdaemun.

stay in myeong-dong, e-dae, sinchon, hongdae.

the prices generally in myeongdong are cheap as well. it's my favourite place to shop - especially for girls. i suggest if you are on budget, stay in a hostel or guesthouse at SGD$15-$30 per night. :) :o

iminalost

Reaction score
ddm mkt for clothings shoes etc. myd has those too but less volume and more exp. if u would like to glance thru several cosmetic shops at once, go for myd as it is clustered tgt. however, accommodations more ex in myd. ddm mkt mrt is an interchange for 3lines, myd only 1. they're only 10mins apart.

Reaction score
Super nearby. I think it doesn't really matter where you stay.

Cabfare only about $6-7 (or lesser) so it's very accessible even though you want to shop till late at DDM. :)

Saline

Reaction score
this is an interesting thread!
thanks for bringing this up.
anyone has some reasonable hotels to recommend near the area? best is walking distance for shopping.
budget is <150SGD

FreshMaker

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
any night markets in these places...?? like HK's ladies street type...??

consecutor

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
slightly off in the description. there isn't many upscale malls in korea. if there are, they are pretty much deserted - especially fashion malls. the only one that's surviving well is megliore in dongdaemun.

stay in myeong-dong, e-dae, sinchon, hongdae.

the prices generally in myeongdong are cheap as well. it's my favourite place to shop - especially for girls. i suggest if you are on budget, stay in a hostel or guesthouse at SGD$15-$30 per night. :) :o

Yeah "upscale" is a relative term here. There are really strangely desert places in some of the malls, like a basement I visited that was almost empty except for a Zara store and a few other smaller shops.

And I totally agree about the girls part. I felt so out of place while walking along some of the streets where all the shops were selling cosmetic products. Even my hotel gave complimentary toners in the bathroom.

this is an interesting thread!
thanks for bringing this up.
anyone has some reasonable hotels to recommend near the area? best is walking distance for shopping.
budget is <150SGD

150SGD is per night or over how many nights?

Because for per night, it's very easy to find one anywhere in Myeongdong. You can even live in a hotel right smack in the middle of one of the shopping streets for that price.

any night markets in these places...?? like HK's ladies street type...??

I heard Dongdaemun has that and I've been to one that's for food, but I was too tired to find the clothing one by evening when I went there.

Last edited:

yuMMy_30

Reaction score
If I plan to travel end feb to early march.. is it still selling winter clothing? How's the weather like?

crestrov

Reaction score
Juz back from Korea. Stayed at Koreana Hotel which is at the city Hall area. Walk to Myeongdong takes abt 10mins. dongdaemun took cab back if i rem is ard 4000 won. This hotel is just in front of the Palace. Room is big with one big and one single size bed.

iminalost

Reaction score
hi. i recommend myeongdong area. this is because it's good for shopping souvenirs,cosmetics n clothings. (not in myeongdong itself) staying at city hall station area is quite convenient. firstly, it's the green line and dark blue line. which means straight train to sinchon,ewha,hongik(aka hongdae) and dark blue means straight to seoul staiton. it's walkable to namdaemun market(which is then walkable to seoul station) also walkable to myeongdong. well don't do this in winter of course. i think myeongdong too many tourists, stuff not so cheap. i would recommend area nearby ewha university and sinchon area. for cosmetics, i recommend sinchon exit 3. y? very convenient. walk straight down u will pass by faceshop,tony moly,natural republic, etude,skinfood,innisfree,olivia,too cool for school at one road across and more. didn't walk whole area. oh ya and check out cn.konest.com it's in chinese. there's ecoupons to print for discounts shopping and food. quite good if you're a korean skincare and cosmetics user.

ericwilis

Reaction score
Anyone know if there any big supermarket nearby myeongdong or namdaemun?
Thinking to buy stuff before go back

dumdo_750

Reaction score
Anyone know if there any big supermarket nearby myeongdong or namdaemun?
Thinking to buy stuff before go back

If you want go myeongdong shopping 1st, drop down at myeongdong train station(dark blue line) and slowly shop to the north...there is lotte mart there and duty free shop....below lottemart is eulgiro 3 station(greenline)

misssotong

Reaction score
At seoul station..
there is lotte mart
Fun Fun Fun: Korea free and easy: seoul super market

I prefer to shop at ehwa and hongdae as they cater to students so is cheaper
Dongdaemun has some good deals but sometimes you have to bargain to get a good price for some items..
Fun Fun Fun: Korea free and easy: Seoul nandaemun and Dongdaemun

Myeongdong to me is more happening at night with the street food and also the stalls selling various stuff.. shopping is just so so..
Fun Fun Fun: Korea free and easy: seoul Myeongdong

TrueB1ue

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
At seoul station..
there is lotte mart
Fun Fun Fun: Korea free and easy: seoul super market

I prefer to shop at ehwa and hongdae as they cater to students so is cheaper
Dongdaemun has some good deals but sometimes you have to bargain to get a good price for some items..
Fun Fun Fun: Korea free and easy: Seoul nandaemun and Dongdaemun

Myeongdong to me is more happening at night with the street food and also the stalls selling various stuff.. shopping is just so so..
Fun Fun Fun: Korea free and easy: seoul Myeongdong

Need your verification ....Seoul station got lotte mart and E-mart right? same location?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.