WoW !! BlackBerry Z30 !!!

BenAKL

Reaction score
Zed 30

Been playing around with it since I got just around lunch time.

The Zed 30 is a smidgen heavy but it gives a very reassuring feel and quality. I especially like the curves at the back edges of the phone, and the silver trim which runs round the sides of the phone and brings it to the bottom bezel. Build-wise? Solid.

It is a b*tch trying to remove the back cover though. Little neat trick I found was to twist it open with a 5 cent coin using the little opening at the bottom.

The audio on the phone is really good, and loud. The notifications came through really loud. Had to set it to its lowest possible setting on the volume slider to get it down to a decent (non-heart stopping) volume. Phone calls came through loud and clear.

Reception came through very well. No drop-outs around my apartment so far. I get drop-outs with the HTC One and iPhone 5. (Note: Am with Camp Orange)

I installed Flipboard on the Zed. Works well. Smooth and no issues so far. Installed Beta Zone and now have BBM (with channels). Rocks well! Quite a few channels on offer even for Singapore albeit the low subscriber rates for half of them! I see a lot of potential for BBM Channels, both in the PG & R21+++ sense. :s13: Am waiting for iGrann to be in App World. Then the Zed would be PERFECT.

All in all, I am pretty stoked with the Zed, and I do not see myself switching to other phones anytime soon. Now I just have to be patient with getting a case and screen protector for it. :s13:

xtramadness

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have got the leather flip, screen protectors in stock already... Leather pouch coming on monday... Accessorize up to protect!

Anyway, playing with the white, it looks a little out of place thanks to the bezel IMHO.

Last edited:

BenAKL

Reaction score
Ooooh! where are you located!
Think I want the leather flip thing.

I have got the leather flip, screen protectors in stock already... Leather pouch coming on monday... Accessorize up to protect!

Anyway, playing with the white, it looks a little out of place thanks to the bezel IMHO.

tomtan07

Reaction score
Been playing around with it since I got just around lunch time.

The Zed 30 is a smidgen heavy but it gives a very reassuring feel and quality. I especially like the curves at the back edges of the phone, and the silver trim which runs round the sides of the phone and brings it to the bottom bezel. Build-wise? Solid.

It is a b*tch trying to remove the back cover though. Little neat trick I found was to twist it open with a 5 cent coin using the little opening at the bottom.

The audio on the phone is really good, and loud. The notifications came through really loud. Had to set it to its lowest possible setting on the volume slider to get it down to a decent (non-heart stopping) volume. Phone calls came through loud and clear.

Reception came through very well. No drop-outs around my apartment so far. I get drop-outs with the HTC One and iPhone 5. (Note: Am with Camp Orange)

I installed Flipboard on the Zed. Works well. Smooth and no issues so far. Installed Beta Zone and now have BBM (with channels). Rocks well! Quite a few channels on offer even for Singapore albeit the low subscriber rates for half of them! I see a lot of potential for BBM Channels, both in the PG & R21+++ sense. :s13: Am waiting for iGrann to be in App World. Then the Zed would be PERFECT.

All in all, I am pretty stoked with the Zed, and I do not see myself switching to other phones anytime soon. Now I just have to be patient with getting a case and screen protector for it. :s13:

A few questions:

1. Is the Flipboard app native or an Android port?

2. How is the battery life? Currently on my Z10, I have 3 email accounts, all set to NOT PUSH, and sync every 24 Hours, due to battery life concerns. No worries, I still have my laptop and tablet to check my email in-boxes regularly. In addition, I also have a facebook account and whatsapp running on the phone. I do not use BBM nor twitter. How's your usage like and how has the Z30 performed for you?

3. Display quality? Is the drop in PPI from the Z10 noticeable? How's the Super Amoled Display?

4. Have you seen an overall performance gain from the Z10? Overall user experience and in apps.

Thanks in advance! Cheers :)

Boner

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can review if the gps is locking location faster now? Something about BlackBerry gps. Too slow to wait

BenAKL

Reaction score
A few questions:

Apparently Flipboard is an Android port - works well and fluid in my opinion. The new runtime works well. I can `like' Instagram posts - which is a boon, in my opinion. And do everything the same with Flipboard on Android and iOS.

2. How is the battery life? Currently on my Z10, I have 3 email accounts, all set to NOT PUSH, and sync every 24 Hours, due to battery life concerns. No worries, I still have my laptop and tablet to check my email in-boxes regularly. In addition, I also have a facebook account and whatsapp running on the phone. I do not use BBM nor twitter. How's your usage like and how has the Z30 performed for you?

I only have had it over a little 2 days and so far I have no issues on battery life. I set my email (1 mailbox) retrieve to 15 minutes. Occasional email replies, web surfing, made about 20 minutes of phone calls, about 30 minutes of Flipboard reading, BBM & Whatsapp throughout the day, and I still have 25% left of battery life at the end of the day. Unplugged at 8am and home around 9pm.

3. Display quality? Is the drop in PPI from the Z10 noticeable? How's the Super Amoled Display?

I am not fussed about PPIs. To me, it looks good, slightly washout in broad daylight, but that's expected. Colours are vibrant.

4. Have you seen an overall performance gain from the Z10? Overall user experience and in apps.

I have used the Z10 for a few months prior, and I feel the Z30 is slightly zippier. Then again, the Z10 had 10.1 whilst the Z30 is running on 10.2

I am sure you will enjoy the phone.

Alexz_Hong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
A few questions:

1. Android port, but works almost as well as native on android. Almost.

2. This I don't know since I don't have one for long term use. Only got to play with it for a short period of time.

3. Honestly it still looks decent. But personally I've never been a huge display guy. It looks good to me still. But don't take my word on it. Go see for yourself.

4. Yes. Particularly android apps. They seem to run a better than z10 and q10.

BenAKL

Reaction score
Can review if the gps is locking location faster now? Something about BlackBerry gps. Too slow to wait

Actually the gps lock is quite fast. No issues with foursquare. Haha. And maps works quick too

Boner

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually the gps lock is quite fast. No issues with foursquare. Haha. And maps works quick too

foursquare works exceptional well with bb10, i cannot speak the same for facebook and whatapp.
any chance you can try that?

BenAKL

Reaction score
foursquare works exceptional well with bb10, i cannot speak the same for facebook and whatapp.
any chance you can try that?

Facebook is okay for me

Whatsapp is super crap. I get that clock face for a couple of minutes before the message can be sent. And messages only come in a few minutes later.

Boner

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Facebook is okay for me

Whatsapp is super crap. I get that clock face for a couple of minutes before the message can be sent. And messages only come in a few minutes later.

you mean sending location to your whatsapp friend is stil crap?
i was trying navigation on my z10 on cab home last night with voice, surprisedly worked so well...

BenAKL

Reaction score
Gmail can receive, cannot send

Hi all,

I just realised that I am able to receive emails but I *cannot* send out emails on my Zed 30. I am using Gmail.

Can anyone help?

:(:(

Boner

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just realised that I am able to receive emails but I *cannot* send out emails on my Zed 30. I am using Gmail.

Can anyone help?

just tried using my z10 gmail to sent to my office mail.
no issue wor.

try deleting the account and add again.

Last edited:

xtramadness

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have no issues with z30 at all.

Try either delete or readd or change protocol to exchange (m.google.com)

Hi all,

Can anyone help?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.