USA Stocks discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

devion

Reaction score
Anybody can provide blogs or shares forums that they usually use for tips or looking at trends for US stocks?

Shiny Things

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Breaking: the IPO has priced at $26.

Anyone interested in the TWiTTER Ipo?

Good luck getting an allocation. TWTR demand is crazy - I'm hearing second- and third-hand that even big hedge-fund clients are getting shafted on allocations, and the underwriters are giving it all to big long-only buy-and-hold investors. If you look like a flipper (that is, you're a fast-money hedge fund or a retail dude), you're not getting shares.

How do you apply for foriegn market IPO anyway, must do it with local broker assistance? How about if already have a US brokerage account?

You need a brokerage account with one of the underwriters or bookrunners. Then you need to file an application form from the prospectus, and hope like hell that you get an allocation.

In the case of TWTR, the names you need an account with are Goldman, Morgan Stanley, JPM, BAML, or Deutsche - and you need to be a very good customer. This article from the WSJ says that TD Ameritrade - a sub-bookrunner - is only handing out shares to customers with more than $250k in their account. Shares in a hot IPO are a valuable commodity, and you don't want to hand them out to little Joe-Schmoe customers; you hand them out to your best customers, for the same reason the Sands only hands out comped rooms to whales.

peterchan75

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anybody can provide blogs or shares forums that they usually use for tips or looking at trends for US stocks?

Believe you me, getting tips on stocks is dangerous. :eek: Becuase ones never know what is the tipster's intention.
Here is a forum for you to lurk around.
Forums

Chiron

Reaction score
http://www.growthstockwire.com/

For ur leisure read on MLP, if u hv not seen before. Believe you are already an expert at MLP. The website refresh daily, so if nv read before about 8pm spore time, article will be changed. Cheers

C32B

Master Member
Reaction score
http://www.growthstockwire.com/

For ur leisure read on MLP, if u hv not seen before. Believe you are already an expert at MLP. The website refresh daily, so if nv read before about 8pm spore time, article will be changed. Cheers
Hi Chiron,

I am not an expert in MLPs. I am still learning. The only thing I know is, MLPs are characteristics are abit like REITs.

Just checked the url. It is good.

Last edited:

stocklah

Reaction score
Anyone interested in the TWiTTER Ipo?

How do you apply for foriegn market IPO anyway, must do it with local broker assistance? How about if already have a US brokerage account?

what twitter business model? can explain or link?

coolhead

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

always do your own homework. Rely on websites like Zack's investment website is only asking for trouble.

Shiny Things

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
what twitter business model? can explain or link?

If memory serves, their revenue breakdown is about 85% from advertising, and 15% from selling tweet feeds (to, for example, idiot hedge funds who want to use Twitter sentiment as an input to their trading models. This is actually a thing that people do).

Shiny Things

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Shiny, is twitter really that popular in usa?

Yeah - it's basically the new hotness in finance and journalism. You've got stuff like Stocktwits built on top of it; you've got curated tweets being fed into traders' Bloomberg newsfeeds; and Twitter's even faster than Reuters or Bloomberg for quite a lot of breaking news.

Bit Spark

Reaction score
I have been trading the S&P 500 Volatility Index (^VIX) through VIX ETF like VIXY and SVXY.

VIX has been hovering slightly above historical low of ~12 so I pick up some VIXY when it is near 12 and hold it till the volatility spikes up on market fears. The recent fears of QE tapering, US gov shutdown, Syria strike have been helpful in driving the volatility.

I trade SVXY when the situation calms down and volatility goes down.

Yes you could directly trade option for VIX but I prefer the simplicity of the ETF.

I don't encourage trading VIX unless you know what you are doing as there are disadvantages and risks like contango, tracking errors, etc.

Shiny Things

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have been trading the S&P 500 Volatility Index (^VIX) through VIX ETF like VIXY and SVXY.

I trade SVXY when the situation calms down and volatility goes down.

Yes you could directly trade option for VIX but I prefer the simplicity of the ETF.

I think I mentioned this in another thread, but if you're holding these over periods of longer than one day, you should look into the VIX futures. The futures will always outperform the ETFs, because they don't suffer from compound ETF decay, and they don't charge the 1% annual fee that the ETFs do - which means more money in your pocket.

(Also, if you're holding for longer time periods, you can go further out the curve using the futures - so you can pick up some extra vol bleed in normal markets by selling the 3rd-month or further, instead of just playing in the front months with SVXY.)

Last edited:

Chiron

Reaction score
Very good and useful information so far from the contributions. Thanks. Keep it going. Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.