Samsung Galaxy S3 - It's Finally here!

xiaoyuer89

Master Member
Reaction score
juz did an update for my lte and now my internal memory is screwed up! the phone cant seem to find the internal memory files and when i pluck into the computer, the memory is still mostly filled but cant seem to find the files... anybody help!?

BlitzStryker

Master Member
Reaction score
juz did an update for my lte and now my internal memory is screwed up! the phone cant seem to find the internal memory files and when i pluck into the computer, the memory is still mostly filled but cant seem to find the files... anybody help!?

Update to 4.3? Hmm try to copy the whole file to your com as backup first before figuring it out..

Recce5

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My friend singtel S3 already updated to 4.3.

But my singtel S3 keep saying already latest version (4.1.2) :(

townman

Reaction score
Just to check for those who had upgrade to 4.3 how is the battery life compare to pre-update.

Cos my friend after upgrade to 4.3, the phone battery drain very fast then before the upgrade.

NWT1978

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My friend singtel S3 already updated to 4.3.

But my singtel S3 keep saying already latest version (4.1.2) :(

wait loh... not sure if I want the upgrade...see the comments :s22: maybe kitkat will be better

koomikko

Reaction score
Just to check for those who had upgrade to 4.3 how is the battery life compare to pre-update.

Cos my friend after upgrade to 4.3, the phone battery drain very fast then before the upgrade.

My battery life has clearly gone to worse after 4.3 upgrade -- with exactly same usage. Before it lasted for ~16 hours (enough to be charged once a night). Now I can barely survive the office hours ~10 hours.

I found from the internet that the new Samsung security tool Knox is supposedly a power hungry beast, but apparently it is not installed by default with 4.3 update, but there is only now a capability to install it.

In addition there was another FW update offered on Wednesday, but with no apparent effect on the battery life.

dagobah

Reaction score
Anyone here flashed their S3 to Kitkat(unofficial). stable?
Very tempted to do so....

wait for official update so slow....
the 4.3 update also seem to plague with a lot of problems.

BlitzStryker

Master Member
Reaction score
Anyone here flashed their S3 to Kitkat(unofficial). stable?
Very tempted to do so....

wait for official update so slow....
the 4.3 update also seem to plague with a lot of problems.

ejGPUx5.jpg

Using Cyanogenmod 11. Previously on 4.1.2. Now on Kitkat 4.4.2.

3 generation of Android upgrade really made a huge differences!

Better performance in terms of less rams usage, better/smoother/faster transition btw opening apps and switching it. Overall better battery life. Antutu benchmark from 16k to 19k.

Totally revitalized my old sluggish S3! :s12::s12::s12:

dagobah

Reaction score
ejGPUx5.jpg

Using Cyanogenmod 11. Previously on 4.1.2. Now on Kitkat 4.4.2.

3 generation of Android upgrade really made a huge differences!

Better performance in terms of less rams usage, better/smoother/faster transition btw opening apps and switching it. Overall better battery life. Antutu benchmark from 16k to 19k.

Totally revitalized my old sluggish S3! :s12::s12::s12:

Nice! Ok, I go read up more on how-to, in preparation....
Any advice, pls do share.:)

Ya, I have a nexus 7.2 on kitkat 4.4.2, so liking the stock android feel....
partly the reason I so tempted to flash my S3(never rooted or anything).

BlitzStryker

Master Member
Reaction score
Nice! Ok, I go read up more on how-to, in preparation....
Any advice, pls do share.:)

Ya, I have a nexus 7.2 on kitkat 4.4.2, so liking the stock android feel....
partly the reason I so tempted to flash my S3(never rooted or anything).

This was my first time too. Initially I used the Cyanogenmod installation (easy and quick, just dl the installation and CM will do all the trick when you connect it to the PC. For this CM installation method, it is running on CM 10.2 and Android 4.3 which is good. This CM version is the stable verion which is the safest and easiest rom.

CyanogenMod Installer - CyanogenMod

P15deWZ.jpg

Then I went for Android 4.4.2 with CM 11 nightly build. Have to manually root it which was super easy! Kinda regret now then I tried rooting. Been missing out the fun all along haha. And it was super easy. Can google/youtube for the guide/walk-thru or pm me for more info :D

Anyway Android Kitkat 4.4 is a leap over 4.3 as compared to JB 4.3 vs 4.1. Performance wise, functions, speed, usability, shortcut, appearance and battery life quite a significant improvement, considering this is a software upgrade and not a hardware upgrade.

Edited: With the rom, the Samsung S3 camera software will become stock Nexus camera software which is so-so only. Went to use Focal app. They were previously bundled with CM but separated due to some issues btw the developers. Probably one of the most functional dedicated camera app ard.(excluding those amateurish photo editing apps that have camera functions). If you ahve any camera app reco, pls feel free to share with me. Thanks!

Last edited:

roychang

Reaction score
i took the plunge to CM as well. The install was quite simple using the CMinstaller though it failed initially due to some odd USB connection issue. Restarted the installer and phone and it was fine. After the install, it was CM 10.1 but there was OTA update available to 11, ie. kitkat 4.4.2! So I did the update via wifi, it was a seemless install.

I didn't like the default CM launcher called Launcher3. Small issue, just install a better one. Disappointed that the phone and contact app did not follow the system's night theme, it was all white. Any idea how to change this without installing other third party apps?

Overall it made the phone feel snappier. Battery-wise, it feels like the drain is same; I will need to test this for a while. If you can live without Samsung stock apps, then its worth a try on your S3 since Sammy will likely not update S3 (non-LTE) to Kitkat.

BlitzStryker

Master Member
Reaction score
i took the plunge to CM as well. The install was quite simple using the CMinstaller though it failed initially due to some odd USB connection issue. Restarted the installer and phone and it was fine. After the install, it was CM 10.1 but there was OTA update available to 11, ie. kitkat 4.4.2! So I did the update via wifi, it was a seemless install.

I didn't like the default CM launcher called Launcher3. Small issue, just install a better one. Disappointed that the phone and contact app did not follow the system's night theme, it was all white. Any idea how to change this without installing other third party apps?

Overall it made the phone feel snappier. Battery-wise, it feels like the drain is same; I will need to test this for a while. If you can live without Samsung stock apps, then its worth a try on your S3 since Sammy will likely not update S3 (non-LTE) to Kitkat.

Hmm you mean the contact and phone is not the kitkat version? Probably update thru ota tonight again since nightly is updated daily.

roychang

Reaction score
Hmm you mean the contact and phone is not the kitkat version? Probably update thru ota tonight again since nightly is updated daily.
The phone and contact apps are kit kat version. Its just that they are all in light theme but I prefer dark theme. :p

ziangc

Reaction score
i took the plunge from stock ROM to CM quite sometime ago (abt 2 months ago, then cm10.2), and now im running the official CM11 (4.4.2) nightlies on my S3 LTE (I9305XXBMD5). as mentioned by other users, its alot snappier than the samsung stock 4.1.2 ROM (that was starting to show lag on my S3LTE), and what is truly notable about CM11 on the S3 LTE is that it doesnt make the Exynos 4412 feel lag, but instead revitalizes it. That, coupled with 2GB of RAM (relative to the 1GB on the S3) and LTE makes it one serious performer.

To roychang: try enabling ART runtime on your phone, and it makes 4.4.2 on a S3 LTE an even better experience. as for the case of the phone and contacts apps not being white, you may want to install a custom theme for CM11 as it supports 3rd party themes ontop of the default ones.

cheers.

Last edited:

BlitzStryker

Master Member
Reaction score
i took the plunge from stock ROM to CM quite sometime ago (abt 2 months ago, then cm10.2), and now im running the official CM11 (4.4.2) nightlies on my S3 LTE (I9305XXBMD5). as mentioned by other users, its alot snappier than the samsung stock 4.1.2 ROM (that was starting to show lag on my S3LTE), and what is truly notable about CM11 on the S3 LTE is that it doesnt make the Exynos 4412 feel lag, but instead revitalizes it. That, coupled with 2GB of RAM (relative to the 1GB on the S3) and LTE makes it one serious performer.

To roychang: try enabling ART runtime on your phone, and it makes 4.4.2 on a S3 LTE an even better experience. as for the case of the phone and contacts apps not being white, you may want to install a custom theme for CM11 as it supports 3rd party themes ontop of the default ones.

cheers.

Ima running the same nightly CM on S3 non LTE I9300. Is the ART stable? Any significant improvement over Dalvik? Worry cos ART not supported in CM yet.

Looking forward to hear from you. Cheers!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.