New HDB BTO Flat - How do you connect your Home Fiber Network

lengwee8

Reaction score
use a philips screwdriver and pry open the faceplate the is beside ur POT.

inside should be all ur termination of cat6 cables.

Inside this box is it a patch panel to the 3 bedrooms and the living room? So you would need to place your router near this box and connect it to the patch panel?

Last edited:

civicguy

Banned
Reaction score
Inside this box is it a patch panel to the 3 bedrooms and the living room? So you would need to place your router near this box and connect it to the patch panel?

Hi bro. I am not an expert but it seemed so from the readings I did these few days. You can see some photos here

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/garage-sales-18/services-fiber-telephone-point-lan-data-ethernet-point-conversion-services-4390951.html

From what I see, for me, I will do exactly what I do now at my present place. Use the ViewQwest router in the main door box above but not wireless. Use my Asus wireless router as a wireless access point in the middle room LAN for better reception for whole house.

lengwee8

Reaction score
i managed to change all my rooms RJ11 to RJ45 points.

total cost incur = less than $60 bucks

mine is cat6 cables prelaid for us. finished within 2hrs.

Hi bro, you did it yourself or engage someone to do it?
$60 to change all the points, or $60 to change for each point?

alice9

Master Member
Reaction score

ya i want to ask also, u did it yourself or ask someone to do it? i moving in soon, now also headache how to lay my network

sosibor

Reaction score
i managed to change all my rooms RJ11 to RJ45 points.

total cost incur = less than $60 bucks

mine is cat6 cables prelaid for us. finished within 2hrs.

please share with me the contact of the company/person who did the conversion for you.

thank you.

misato

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
From what I can see, he basically re-terminated the points in his rooms to RJ45 standards.
That means he will have to change the faceplate and keystone which cost about $10+ together. Thus for a given 5 HDB flat, you might need to change about 3-5 faceplate. Thus it will work out to about $60.

xiaogary

Reaction score
I also engaged a free lance guy to change all the rooms to cat6 RJ45. In addition he also helped me changed the main panel box to be a 4 port cat6 RJ45. So that whole house can be wired up to fully utilise the fibre plan. Then he recommend me add wirless Asus router in my master room. I did so and wow Speedtest.org download speed max is 60+Mbps on my single band iphone 4 and 220Mbps on my dual band labtop with ASUS RT66 dual band router. At last can fully utilise my fibre plan now.

momo21

Reaction score
I also engaged a free lance guy to change all the rooms to cat6 RJ45. In addition he also helped me changed the main panel box to be a 4 port cat6 RJ45. So that whole house can be wired up to fully utilise the fibre plan. Then he recommend me add wirless Asus router in my master room. I did so and wow Speedtest.org download speed max is 60+Mbps on my single band iphone 4 and 220Mbps on my dual band labtop with ASUS RT66 dual band router. At last can fully utilise my fibre plan now.
Hi I'm switching to fibre . Can you advise how you do the conversion (of the phone ports)? Or would be good if you can refer the freelance tech guy

azrin619

Reaction score
depends on your place lah. many don't need to change faceplate but anything can happen.
Momo....u can DIY..but Mafan. I did it many times for my own cust before... out of common courtesy from mr.

momo21

Reaction score
depends on your place lah. many don't need to change faceplate but anything can happen.
Momo....u can DIY..but Mafan. I did it many times for my own cust before... out of common courtesy from mr.
Would love to DIY to save cost. But I'm a tech idiot. Care to share the knowhow

azrin619

Reaction score
can...no problem, but need to see first before advise...later kena s@i.
I can drop by easy if in punggol

momo21

Reaction score
can...no problem, but need to see first before advise...later kena s@i.
I can drop by easy if in punggol
Paisay to trouble you. I can figure out if you can give me some pointers. Plus im still waiting for the fibre guys to come ... MR 1GB.:) :)

azrin619

Reaction score
1gb...u wait long long ok.... I'm getting my beta set first.... anyway....can always go meet up mah...since u with mr... like this setup...u need 2 routers FYI....

Mclairs83

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

$60 change all points.

Yes. Some cat 6 are laid towards outside of singtel phone circuit. u need to do tracing. if not, you gotta keep crimping and test accordingly.

please share with me the contact of the company/person who did the conversion for you.

thank you.

i'm doing it myself. pretty simple. you just need a punchdown tool this one is good enough liao. cheap cheap. i got it free from my favourite shop at SLS. cost not more than $2?

new-rj45-cat5-punch-down-network-utp-cable.jpg

den follow by, wirecutter. for newbies that don't know **** about colour coding. go google it urself. very straight forward.

Last edited:

Mclairs83

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
From what I can see, he basically re-terminated the points in his rooms to RJ45 standards.
That means he will have to change the faceplate and keystone which cost about $10+ together. Thus for a given 5 HDB flat, you might need to change about 3-5 faceplate. Thus it will work out to about $60.

dun need to change all to be honest. Ultimately you will be using 4 rooms. Living room point go wireless la.

if u got 4 BR. each room one point lor.

den ur termination just put a 4 port faceplate can liao.

HeeroYuy84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
$60 change all points.

Yes. Some cat 6 are laid towards outside of singtel phone circuit. u need to do tracing. if not, you gotta keep crimping and test accordingly.

i'm doing it myself. pretty simple. you just need a punchdown tool this one is good enough liao. cheap cheap. i got it free from my favourite shop at SLS. cost not more than $2?

new-rj45-cat5-punch-down-network-utp-cable.jpg

den follow by, wirecutter. for newbies that don't know **** about colour coding. go google it urself. very straight forward.

Bro,can share your contact or teach us how you change the faceplate and where you buy?

azrin619

Reaction score
nearest for yr place... chu chiang... amk ind pk 2b. facing main road...

Mclairs83

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bro,can share your contact or teach us how you change the faceplate and where you buy?

level 6 meico lotus. take escalator up to 6th floor. turn right, turn left and right.

look for Henry. have to be friendly with him.

u can google it up la. if u got no network knowledge, its best not to do it on ur own.

the termination point only can make 2-3 mistakes nia.

misato

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
level 6 meico lotus. take escalator up to 6th floor. turn right, turn left and right.

look for Henry. have to be friendly with him.

u can google it up la. if u got no network knowledge, its best not to do it on ur own.

the termination point only can make 2-3 mistakes nia.
Lotus sells their stuffs at a premium. If your at SLS, try the lower floors like 3/4flrs, there is a few shops that sells those as well.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.