llooking for travel buddy on a working holiday

chiriku

Reaction score
Hi all,

I know this sounds a little crazy and i know this thread is tagged to Australia but it’s the closest to New Zealand. However i am writing to find a travel buddy to New Zealand (yes i am not kidding). The purpose of this is to find a travel buddy willing to go on an adventure on a working holiday scheme in new eland.

Details about me:
Name: Brandon lee
DOB: 241193
Sex: Male
Email: le_c_yee_644@hotmail.com
Phone: 98159310
Reason and justification:
I will complete NS in a couple of days and will move on to a university in Aug. but before that, i want to go on a working holiday. I chanced upon this scheme when one of my friends told me about it. There are 2 Singaporeans that did the same in the year 2011. They left for Australia (links below) A Crazy Singaporean Son - A Singaporean In Australia

More on this scheme:
This scheme works by going to new Zealand to find a job and working here up to 6 months before university starts (this scheme is only exclusively for those awaiting university or poly grads those that miss this opportunity will not be able to do it and you can only apply for this scheme once in your lifetime. Hence I must not let go of this opportunity.) Currently only New Zealand is offering working holidays for Singaporean. However there are some requirements that we must meet to go for such a scheme. (Links below) Working Holiday Scheme for Singapore Citizens | Working in New Zealand | Going to New Zealand | Singapore | NZEmbassy.com

I plan to go there during May or June. And i plan to stay for at least 2 months (but we must apply the visa and you can just Google to the link for the application of the visa.

Interested people please contact me @le_c_yee_644@hotmail.com or you can drop me and sums @98159310 (please do not spam mail or anyhow write thank you) and please write the title as: working holiday, so that i know what the mail is. Interested parties please write me a mail and arrange for a meet-up.
I hope to be able to meet someone who is crazy enough like me to go on this trip. Wish me luck for finding a buddy. (If not I will just go alone and hope for the best)

I will also provide a link to show you a similar story of 2 Malaysian ladies who did the same thing in New Zealand. Thank you very much. hhuiyi.blogspot.com: New Zealand Working Holiday & Trip

yoheyhi

Reaction score
This sound interesting. The website that you provided didn't provide any links for application?
Will love to apply it too, I'm undergraduate not sure if they will intern positions available in my discipline.

chiriku

Reaction score
hi just want to check are you going to uni or are already in uni? i am currently waiting to get to uni after ns so yup. if you are in uni i dont think this is for you eh... cause i dont think this count as an internship eh.... hmm... i am not too sure though. the website to apply for the working holiday visa can be found be google-ing. just type working holiday visa application. i think its the nz embassy or sth like that. if you are like-minded like me and plan to go around the same period, that will be great for the both of us hahha :D

yoheyhi

Reaction score
I'm in Uni already,exams ending in the month of may.Hahah PS ah, I'm not a guy. And i heard of the working holiday in Australia before, but I didn't check up much on NZ.

chiriku

Reaction score
oh okok i see i see hahha but if you dont mind and want to go for it, i am willing hahha :D anyways you may want to wait till your uni is over first? cause it is difficult to study and go on working holiday... and fyi i think for singaporean, new zealand is the only option. unless you do it the 'underhand' method. hahha unless you are a PR?

yoheyhi

Reaction score
My holiday starts from end of may till mid sept. I'm a singaporean lah. Because i was actually planning on getting an overseas/local internship. The jobs available for the working holiday are mostly farms or factories job right?

veryred

Reaction score
Hi there! I would be travelling to NZ for 6 weeks from July - Aug during my university summer break. I am also planning to try working holiday in NZ in order to cut my expenses, but after much research it will be quite difficult for me as usually they prefer people who can commit for 3 months. So, I looked around a bit and found out that I could actually woof around for accommodation and food, and if i get lucky I might find paid jobs as well.

If you can commit from June-Aug I would suggest you working at their skii resort! They are always hiring international people to work there and it's great because you get to meet people all over the world and most likely around the same age group, which makes travelling and working there way more fun.

If you are not able to commit as long, I would suggest trying woofing
WWOOF New Zealand | Volunteering, Voluntary Work on Organic Farms & Eco Projects

or short term paid job or labour in exchange for accommodation and food here
Find Hosts in New Zealand

I've already booked my plane tickets but haven't go about applying for visa as I am still exploring my options, but it would be a great help if you could exchange any information regarding working visas. lemme know !!

chiriku

Reaction score
yup i m able to commit for that period of time. as such i will try to apply for resorts, since i also have experience working in a hotel before. hopefully it will land me a job. as for yourself, i feel that woofing is a pretty good idea however, you wont be able to explore much cause you basically have no source of income.... but i will probably go woof first followed by getting a job after hahha cause i want the experience.

as for the working visa you must actually fulfill some conditions before you can apply (which i think you already did) one of it is you must be a uni grad/ has a placing in uni. another is you must have prove of at least 2250 dollars in your bank (to show that you can survive there) and you must pay an application fee of about 100 dollars to apply. more details can be found here (Singapore Work Exchange Programme) and you best apply soon cause each year they only issue a fixed number visas. as such i will apply for my visa as soon as i get my pink ic.(i will ord in a few days time!)

chiriku

Reaction score
My holiday starts from end of may till mid sept. I'm a singaporean lah. Because i was actually planning on getting an overseas/local internship. The jobs available for the working holiday are mostly farms or factories job right?

actaully not true eh you can get any job you want! maybe you were talking about woofing... which means you get free accom and food for working in a farm... but you wont get paid any salary though... its purely for experience... but if you want a job its like applying for any job in singapore lo... its the same hahah

yoheyhi

Reaction score
actaully not true eh you can get any job you want! maybe you were talking about woofing... which means you get free accom and food for working in a farm... but you wont get paid any salary though... its purely for experience... but if you want a job its like applying for any job in singapore lo... its the same hahah

Haha, thanks for replying. Actually I will prefer working during that 3 months. Saw any jobs that you're keen in? I saw a few job listing websites, but I don't know where to start from.:slant:

youatea

Reaction score
Hi all, I am also intending to do a working holiday in NZ sometime in May or June this year. I have even gotten my working holiday visa.

chiriku

Reaction score
Hi all, I am also intending to do a working holiday in NZ sometime in May or June this year. I have even gotten my working holiday visa.

woah that is great we can totally meet n nz hahah i booked my tix alr! i am flying there on may 18. i have yet to apply my visa though... the site was down sigh... hahah :D

youatea

Reaction score
woah that is great we can totally meet n nz hahah i booked my tix alr! i am flying there on may 18. i have yet to apply my visa though... the site was down sigh... hahah :D

Sure. We can meet up. I have not bought my air tickets though. Where are you flying in to? Have you planned out anything for your trip yet? The visa is relatively easy and quick. Processing time took only about 1 day. :) :)

Arashii

Reaction score
singaporeans cannot apply for the Oz's working holiday visa.

Keep this in mind, I have been living in Australia as a PR for about 6 years now and when I tried to apply for a working holiday visa to Japan/Korea I was reject as only Australian citizens have this agreement with the other countries, the same applies for foreigners looking to come into Australia or NZ.

Singapore is not on this list.

FYI the visa mentioned in asingaporeanson blog is something different and is no longer available since the 2013 immigration rule change. (to the best of my knowledge)

What you can however apply for is a working visa, but keep in mind there are quite alot of requirements you will need to meet before you will be granted that visa. (Some quite impossible, like a sponsor)

Good luck with the application

zzzzzz87

Reaction score
yo! managed to come across this thread thru googling.. anyway i'm applying for the NZ working holiday for this year..

is the owner of this thread still planning to do it?

Dagionax

Reaction score
Hey, can someone give me a brief summary of this? I don't quite understand it. I'm planning to head to NZ in june/july to try out snowboarding and to experience snow for the first time but my parents say its quite expensive. This certainly would seem to help me as I just graduated from poly.

zzzzzz87

Reaction score
Hey, can someone give me a brief summary of this? I don't quite understand it. I'm planning to head to NZ in june/july to try out snowboarding and to experience snow for the first time but my parents say its quite expensive. This certainly would seem to help me as I just graduated from poly.
return air tickets >$1k sgd liao. if just wanna experience snow, go korea also cheaper...

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.