HDTV talk - antenna and reception issues [consolidated]

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
i recommend the last antenna in the pictures.
There is no right or wrong...it all depends on location.

I placed mine next to the tv, no need long cable...see spoiler:
TV MODEL (and size): 40" Samsung Smart & 1999 20" Philips CRT (bedroom).

ANTENNA: Condo MATV & antigue indoor telescopic for testing (see picture below)

SET TOP BOX: Draco

Additional info: Perfect reception for all T2 and T broadcasts using matv (condo provided chan 38 reception when Sports/ City channel existed. Signal Intensity 99%, Signal Quality 98% throughout chans 27, 29 , 31, 33 and 38. [Hall and bedroom]

Using indoor antenna for both tv tested one after the other, 27, 29, 31 and 33 achieved SI/SQ as good as matv. For chan 38, both indicators exceeded 90%. Again perfect reception.

Tips: With indoor antenna, it is advisable to scan manually, channel by channel, in areas where indoor signal may not be so strong. The signal strength is then visually available to assist in locating the best spot.
Where the angle of antenna elements can be adjusted, straighten them as shown in the pic, with overall length about 0.25 to 0.3m. Orientate whole antenna in different angle and direction.

Use extension coax cable for more flexibility in locating the best spot.

Shion

Senior Mentor
Reaction score
Yes, I have seen that post of yours. I agree it is about location. Mine poor location

Last edited:

Shion

Senior Mentor
Reaction score
I bought mine from one of the neighbourhood shops, those japalang shop sell what pots/pans + wiring + battery + buckets etc.

Try Sim Lim?

Last edited:

Sneaky_ho

Reaction score
I lived near King albert park and just using a wire hanger, i consistently get 10/10 for all HD channels. Guess the signal probably broadcast from bukit timah hill.

Windowlover

Reaction score
Anyone can advise using Margon 2.0 can use to receive both HD and SD channel so to avoid switching or unplug of cables while watching... :s22:

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Has anyone realised that the subtitles on HD5 on StarHub has disappeared, other than the ones on the news?

sunsetbay

Reaction score
Has anyone realised that the subtitles on HD5 on StarHub has disappeared, other than the ones on the news?

i noticed too~ on certain show on DVB-T, HD5 shows both chinese & malay sub, DVB-T2 is using soft-sub with chinese & malay option, while DVB-C got no sub~ probably starhub uses DVB-T2 channels to re-transmit to its users w/o enable the sub option~ :s22:

Windowlover

Reaction score
I come to know that sport arena is not there... I miss those games sometime.. not a big fan but aleast support SG. :(

sunsetbay

Reaction score
I'm using only antenna can find below...

CH5(HD)
CH8(HD)
Suria (HD)
VAS (HD)
CNA
CH U
CH8+1
OKTO
Test1

How to scan it , please advise.

the free supersports arena is only available on cable, analog~ 76.25Mhz~ :s22:

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
i noticed too~ on certain show on DVB-T, HD5 shows both chinese & malay sub, DVB-T2 is using soft-sub with chinese & malay option, while DVB-C got no sub~ probably starhub uses DVB-T2 channels to re-transmit to its users w/o enable the sub option~ :s22:

The subtitles came back again a few days ago liao, cheers. :)

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I come to know that sport arena is not there... I miss those games sometime.. not a big fan but aleast support SG. :(

Sports Arena is only via the PAL analog channel, frequency VHF 76.25MHz.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.