How to be more defensive when driving

laiwh

Reaction score
Likewise, do not know if many know about this a not?
Often still seen many chiong down-slope and do not bother to 'give-way' when there is a STOP-line there.

So just drive with caution and switch on the head-lights when heading upslope.

I second that. Got a few near-miss before. Besides switching on headlights, i highbeam at the wall to make sure vehicle at the other ramp sees the light. A bit troublesome, but i got used to it after a while

tk

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
one more..

turn on headlights during poor weather or visibility.. it is not whether u can see others, it is whether others can see u..

Tyrian

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not sure if i have heard correctly, i was told before the enlarged mirror will make objects look smaller when you look at it and affect your judgement on actual distance against mirror distance of your car to object which means you are actually closer to it.:s11:

Yes u r correct. It takes time getting used to it.

I find it more difficult to drive as the cars appear larger than usual in the rear mirror though. I feel the cars r very near me and I'm road hogging.

fone

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not sure if i have heard correctly, i was told before the enlarged mirror will make objects look smaller when you look at it and affect your judgement on actual distance against mirror distance of your car to object which means you are actually closer to it.:s11:

Larger mirror doesn't mean things will appear smaller. A larger mirror just have a larger surface area to reflect things from the back. For objects to appear smaller, to mirror will need to be curved, aka convex mirrors. Curved mirrors offer even more visibility for the same mirror surface area, however, objects appear smaller and further. Thus depending on what kind of mirror you buy, if it is perfectly flat or curved, the objects might or might not appear smaller.

Dragon

Administrator
Reaction score
My personal habit. Always turn on headlights when in indoor carpark, helps other vehicles and pedestrians to notice you. :)

ZhuTou!

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My way is.....
Make a habit to check ur side/rear mirrors every now and then even tho u are going straight
Juz move ur eyeball only
By doing this, u can know ur surrounding better

And also, always think that there might be a motorbike at the blind spot beside ur car
This will make u turn ur head to check blind spot before u change lane
Those drivers with riding experience will understand this

There are couple of times
When i do my regular mirror check, i saw a bike behind
When i wanted to change lane, the bike is missing from side/rear mirror
I check blind spot and it was beside me

SimonLam

Reaction score
My way is.....
Juz move ur eyeball only

Sometimes this tactic is used in coffee shops or crowded areas .. ;)

I hate bikes that ghosts behind me.. one moment here... one moment dunno where...they like to hide in blindspots..

SimonLam

Reaction score
My take on defensive driving:

Rule #1: Stay calm at all times. No panic...No Emo.

something

Master Member
Reaction score
This is not defensive then. If u r fast, ok, but how does the other driver know he need to slow for you?

He will probably whacked his engine to be faster than you..

then i slow give way lor... :)

yup, mine is not defensive driving:s13:

figo16

Banned
Reaction score
My way is.....
Make a habit to check ur side/rear mirrors every now and then even tho u are going straight
Juz move ur eyeball only

And also, always think that there might be a motorbike at the blind spot beside ur car
This will make u turn ur head to check blind spot before u change lane
Those drivers with riding experience will understand this

Checking blindspot is very important especially when changing lane .I almost kena one car as the car was switching from lane 3 to 2 while I was switching from lane 1 to 2 on the expressway. Luckily ,I turned my head to check blindspot and saw the car turning into lane 2 . The car was behind me and should have seen my signal but he still changed lane like a king . somemore he cut across from lane 3 to 1 .

figo16

Banned
Reaction score
Qn : How do you deal with jaywalkers like those blanga and ah neh at little india ? I want to drive safely and don't want to start another riot .

socketer

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Qn : How do you deal with jaywalkers like those blanga and ah neh at little india ? I want to drive safely and don't want to start another riot .

Avoid the area altogether??? Pedestrians always have the way, even on the expressway!!

socketer

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Many times in jam when I wanna switch lane, cannot see if there are bikes weaving between traffic... A bit dangerous... Any solution to this?

SimonLam

Reaction score

For serangoon road and little india:
Drive extra careful, avoid speeding, open your eyes big big, stick to your lane (middle lane), always prepare your right foot on brakes.

And your right of way may not be your way... they just dun care...

Dragon

Administrator
Reaction score
ya crowded place good to use
those quite empty expressway no need lor

Empty expressway also need, you never know there may be fast cars coming at high speed. One moment you think empty, next moment there is a car on your butt. :o

Dragon

Administrator
Reaction score
Many times in jam when I wanna switch lane, cannot see if there are bikes weaving between traffic... A bit dangerous... Any solution to this?

Be extra careful, check your blind spots, signal and don't change lane abruptly. Hope this helps. :)

tekster

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thought of starting this thread to consolidate all tips on how to be more defensive when driving on road so i will start the ball rolling.

1 ) When filtering from small road into big road, don't forget to keep your eye on car in front of you instead of cars along big road. Chances that you will hit rear of the car in front of you are high.

what are you talking about? you should be at the line before you even try to filter to the big road what. look at the front car and not the cars on the big road.

4 ) Only drive on 1st lane if you want to overtake on expressway, at least for me.

trucks and lorries should never be on lane 1 and 2.

10) Watch out for kuku drivers and keep a distance from them

wa i love this point man! don't know why there are so many of them these days.

16 ) Check blindspot .A lot of motorists especially motorcycle like to speed up when you indicate you are changing lane so must check blindspot to look out for and give way to them.

i always wonder why motorists like to do this. it's a danger to themselves. can't they also learn to give way?

pls look at my replies in red.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.