Gahmen makes parking convenient to encourage more people to love cars/ bid for COEs???!!!

cherry6

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Gahmen should stop encouraging more people to drive just to sell COEs
Report: Valet service introduced at public carpark in Orchard Rd
Valet service introduced at public carpark in Orchard Rd - Channel NewsAsia
Valet service is free for drivers, so LTA is footing the bill: just as it gave free $1.1billion $$ to SGX-listed SBS and SMRT bus companies is it???!!!
Me thinks that the gahmen should FIRST make cycling more user friendly and public transportation better for short trips by either improving cycling paths or widening bus lanes which can then be shared with cyclist rather than just encouraging driving in the hope that Singaporean's addiction to the automobile will fuel PAP's addiction to its annual S$2billion in COE collections.
Riding bicycles will also protect Singaporeans from blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes, obesity and stress related disorders that many Sink@poreans face, not to mention win praises from the world for keeping the environment green and leading the fight against global warming.

In any case, a Pict to prove my point:
Space required to move 60 people:
cars-bus-bike.jpg
[Pict source]

Since taxes need to be raised to pay for stuff like the pioneer package etc, than rather than further increasing GST, may I kindly suggest increasing the city parking charges even though the Anguilla Park car park isn't within CBD, IIRC, Four Seasons hotel next door charges S$4/hour parking fee, so this chance to earn gahmen revenue should not be missed...
Valet service introduced at public carpark in Orchard Rd
The URA carpark at the Angullia Park in Orchard Road is the first to employ valet services, with its management hoping to optimise its capacity of 260 lots.
The URA carpark at Angullia Park in Orchard Road is the first to employ valet services. (Photo: Loi Kar Yee)
ENLARGECAPTION
SINGAPORE: Valet services are common in shopping centres, but now for the first time, such services are available in a public carpark.
The URA carpark at Angullia Park in Orchard Road is the first to employ valet services, with its management hoping to optimise its capacity of 260 lots.
Jeremy Ong, operations manager at LHN Vehicle Parking Management Pte Ltd, said: "The main objective was to find convenience and to save the public's time in a sense that they do not have to spend time searching for a parking lot, especially in a very crowded place like Orchard Road.
“In the past, they could have waited up to 10-15 minutes for parking space. Now, if they are willing to use the service, they simply drop their vehicle off and within one or two minutes, they can go about their business."
One member of the public said: "I hope that this can be launched in those carparks (where users) have difficulties in getting parking lots."
The service started earlier this month and the company which manages the carpark, LHN Vehicle Parking Management Pte Ltd, said that it has seen its users increase from 300 in the first week to 500 in the second week.
The valet service is available from 11am to 8pm daily, except on Sundays and public holidays.
If this six-month trial proves successful, the company plans to make it permanent and expand it to 10 other public carparks that see high traffic, such as those in the East Coast area and in the city.
- CNA/ms
GST+hike+%E2%80%98more+likely%E2%80%99+if+Govt+needs+to+raise+revenue+for+new+initiatives-TDY+%2822Aug2013%29.JPG
Pict source: GST hike

Last edited:

sunzoner

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I think you are confused. On one hand, you seems to be unhappy it "encourage more people to love cars/ bid for COEs" on the other, you seems to be happy to ask it to raise revenue.

What do you want anyway?

koxinga

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is the presence of valet carpark in just one small part of Singapore an incentive to buy car in the first place?

If so, there is nothing to complain about, being stupid fugs in the first place to fall for such a thing.

cancer81

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
he just wants Singapore government to encourage ppl to cycle from home to work place and back....

he has been peddling that sort of thing for the longest time ever

sunzoner

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
he just wants Singapore government to encourage ppl to cycle from home to work place and back....

he has been peddling that sort of thing for the longest time ever

Then, I think he is barking up the wrong tree.

I think he needs to be trained on how to ask for things from the govt...

cherry6

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think you are confused. On one hand, you seems to be unhappy it "encourage more people to love cars/ bid for COEs" on the other, you seems to be happy to ask it to raise revenue.
What do you want anyway?

Yes to using COE $ collections (and other fossil fuel/ carbon use related taxes) to pay for public transport improvements and other carbon neutral initiatives that also reduce population dependency on chronic health care subsidisation.

Instead of increasing GST to 10% to pay for public transport improvements and other things, why not save on the car valet service and use it for bicycle travel/public transport enhancements instead, that way, there would be NO NEED TO INCREASE GST TO 10% if only the gahmen would be far sighted and prudent in its budget expenditure.

Last edited:

cherry6

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Small thing also want to troll.

GST 10% is big thing, NOT SMALL THING. Where govt finance is concerned,,every cent counts. At the rate we are going, paying our leaders too well for what they are worth, eroding our capital in Temasek and GIC, me thinks GST might surely hit 20%, perhaps even in my lifetime or sooner still... That is if Sinkapoor does not sink into hthe sea from global warming that is, or something like Obama care shuts down our gahmen when it is in throes of financial distress like the USA currently is...

koxinga

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Cherry6

The premise of your thread suggest that the valet service is free or paid for by URA using tax payer money.

But I read the article on CNA and there is nothing to suggest it is free. It seems to me that URA just allow a valet service operator to provide the service at the carpark.
No different from car wash operators at public car parks.

If this is the case, is there anything to get worked up about?

cherry6

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Cherry6
The premise of your thread suggest that the valet service is free or paid for by URA using tax payer money.
But I read the article on CNA and there is nothing to suggest it is free. It seems to me that URA just allow a valet service operator to provide the service at the carpark.
No different from car wash operators at public car parks.
If this is the case, is there anything to get worked up about?
The valet company is deployed by URA and according to the CNA video, the service is free. So ostensibly, the funds for the service come from either S$1-2/hr car parking fee collections, or else other tax payers $$$.
0aFR7gw.jpg

Last edited:

koxinga

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have no problems with that. Besides, you don't know the deal structure between URA and the carpark operator, which can be done to incentivise better service.

sunzoner

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

cherry6

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Did you see anything in the article that suggest URA or LTA pays for this service?

The sign says that users DON'T HAVE TO PAY FOR THE COMPLEMENTARY service, so these kind souls work for free/ they are volunteers from Patterson Road RC/ PA adviser to grassroots residents committee!!!???

Think URA budget this year is too high, cracking their heads how to spend the extra $$$.

Long time rumour I heard about civil service is that any budget not spent this year is considered a response to gahmen next year to cut your budget, so by hook or by crook must find ways to spend the money, that's why so many Potemkin projects, all just wayang show, just to keep the Ministry's budget strong: all just accounting acrobatics, that is why soon need to raise GST to 10%.

Last edited:

koxinga

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do you know why this is a free service? This is so called free service is a self-serving gesture by the carpark operator. URA outsources carpark operations to these operators (Ramkay, LHN etc) and in return, the operator get a share of the revenue. A valet service allows them to have more cars and hence they get more revenue instead of being limited by the number of parking lots.

URA solves carpark problem without paying extra, carpark operator make more money, motorists also happy happy because they going to pay the same amount anyway and get to park faster.

Da tah! Why you need to think so complicated conspiracy theory reasons?

cherry6

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do you know why this is a free service? This is so called free service is a self-serving gesture by the carpark operator. URA outsources carpark operations to these operators (Ramkay, LHN etc) and in return, the operator get a share of the revenue. A valet service allows them to have more cars and hence they get more revenue instead of being limited by the number of parking lots.
URA solves carpark problem without paying extra, carpark operator make more money, motorists also happy happy because they going to pay the same amount anyway and get to park faster.
Da tah! Why you need to think so complicated conspiracy theory reasons?

Anyhow, I rarely drive to town nowadays, usually take public transport, cycled there once/ twice as well. Didn't know that the Anguilla Park car park is now gantry and charges S$2 per hour as if it were in CBD: last time I was there was like $1/he coupon parking... Then again it is still cheaper than next door 4seasons hotel carpark, $6 first hour, $3 per half hour block thereafter... Whatever it takes not to raise GST to 10% remember, today it is GST increase to help the poor, tomorrow it is GST rise and helping the poor are 2 separate issues. Since PM Lee actually announced that he was actively fixing the opposition, and confirming my suspicions: real reasons GRC was originally implemented, I have decided that PAP politicians cannot be trusted altogether.

Anyhow, let the parking charges fly ($4-5/ hour). Singapore is small place and mostly low lying areas. It is probably not too late to retrain the world to use bicycles to reduce global warming: it would buy this Island a few more years, before we are finally submerged altogether...

Intoparliamentjpg.jpg
[Pict= [URL="http://www.theonlinecitizen.com/2012/04/disassembling-grc-benefits-pap-1/"]Disassembling GRC system benefits PAP (Part 1 of 3)[/URL]]

liftupgrade.jpg

HougangAdviser.jpg
(Picture source= How PAP uses taxpayer-funded grassroots for political gain)

Why the complaint against GRC here, with so much fakery around, the observant inevitably grows suicious of most gahmen actions, for good measure of course...

Last edited:

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The sign says that users DON'T HAVE TO PAY FOR THE COMPLEMENTARY service, so these kind souls work for free/ they are volunteers from Patterson Road RC/ PA adviser to grassroots residents committee!!!???

Think URA budget this year is too high, cracking their heads how to spend the extra $$$.

Long time rumour I heard about civil service is that any budget not spent this year is considered a response to gahmen next year to cut your budget, so by hook or by crook must find ways to spend the money, that's why so many Potemkin projects, all just wayang show, just to keep the Ministry's budget strong: all just accounting acrobatics, that is why soon need to raise GST to 10%.

So is something you "heard". Have you mixed up LTA vs URA?

koxinga

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey, I gave the guy a more commercially plausible reason for the free valet service which he was initially so fixated on and was reduced to a 'anyhow' and was dismissed.

Anyhow, I also don't understand. Is cherry advocating cheaper parking or use bicycle? More expensive parking deter drivers to Orchard, therefore reduce pollution. Therefore, there is an incentive to keep COE high, right? By not driving to Orchard as he said, I postulate using cherry's behavior as evidence that increasing parking cost influence driving pattern to err on the side of cost savings and indirectly, reducing carbon footprint.

Last edited:

sunzoner

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

No charge on the valet parking doesnt no income/revenue. I tot you have lived long enough in singapore to know that there is no free lunch?

sunzoner

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyhow, I rarely drive to town nowadays, usually take public transport, cycled there once/ twice as well. Didn't know that the Anguilla Park car park is now gantry and charges S$2 per hour as if it were in CBD: last time I was there was like $1/he coupon parking... Then again it is still cheaper than next door 4seasons hotel carpark, $6 first hour, $3 per half hour block thereafter... ...

Anyhow, let the parking charges fly ($4-5/ hour). Singapore is small place and mostly low lying areas.

See, you found by yourself a good reason why is it called "free". Doesnt involve govt paying for it, right?

cherry6

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
See, you found by yourself a good reason why is it called "free". Doesnt involve govt paying for it, right?

Haha, guess the days of S$1/ hour parking will soon be gone. Guess four seasons hotel will soon up theirs to $10/hr and URA will privatise/ rent out the Anguilla Carpark to the highest bidder and then parking charges there will become $6/ hour, with or without the valet service available...

Not a bad idea, so long as they do not raise GST to the next rung I guess...

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.