HDTV talk - antenna and reception issues [consolidated]

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
need help with my usb stick i just bought
USB TV Stick DVB T2 DVB T DVB T2 + FM + DAB receiver adapter SPC 251263-in Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com

i am not able to scan and find any frequencies. i dont think is the antenna faulty cos when i tried scanning for FM it can find? may i know where i did wrongly?
I bought this before and have had reported on it previously.

Basically this stick's DVB-T2 does not support the Singapore standard which requires DVB-T2 version 1.3.1 aka DVB-T2 Lite.

This stick can still tune the free-to-air unencrypted StarHub DVB-C channels from the cable antenna point.

However, the bad part is that tuning of DVB-C requires their inhouse program as it's not BDA-compliant so we can't use other programs to view/record.

Shion

Senior Mentor
Reaction score
so the sports arena cannot be received by those normal indoor antenna?

Matrix21

Deluxe Member
Reaction score

Basically this stick's DVB-T2 does not support the Singapore standard which requires DVB-T2 version 1.3.1 aka DVB-T2 Lite.

This stick can still tune the free-to-air unencrypted StarHub DVB-C channels from the cable antenna point.

However, the bad part is that tuning of DVB-C requires their inhouse program as it's not BDA-compliant so we can't use other programs to view/record.

does this means i cannot even get free to air channels like ch5,8,U ? not even on dvb-t ?

Matrix21

Deluxe Member
Reaction score
can anyone recommend me a usb tv stick that i can use to watch channels in my bedroom?

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
does this means i cannot even get free to air channels like ch5,8,U ? not even on dvb-t ?

Can tune to DVB-T channels. Could there be a problem with your antenna?

Matrix21

Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Can tune to DVB-T channels. Could there be a problem with your antenna?

i can search for fm channels and listen to them.. means antenna ok right? i placed it outside my window too. i stay at eunos area

Matrix21

Deluxe Member
Reaction score
im using their player to scan, i tried with windows media center also cannot find any channels?

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
im using their player to scan, i tried with windows media center also cannot find any channels?
To know whether it is caused by weak signal or product defect, try it with a laptop or similar in an open area with no obstruction, or go to high floor with clear view of Bukit Batok. Can try with a different antenna than the supplied antenna.

Last edited:

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score

What is DVB-T2 Lite?

Quote:

The additional profile on DVB-T2 Lite for mobile reception is an optional requirement in the Singapore TS DVB-T2 IRD as there is no mobile receiver yet to be available readily.

Source: Page 3 of MDA/IDA Document

tmengyew

Reaction score
I recently bought a LG LA623T (with DVT 2 bulit in) staying in a low HDB building which was block by high building at my area. The worst is i am stay at ground floor .Location near Tiong Bahru MRT.

Question
1) Is it adviceable to buy an antenna to receive digital signal or buy a RG6 coaxial cable to plug into the old HDB TV point. Which has a better chance to receive digital signal.

2) If i want to see analog and digital channal , i need a VHF/UHF mixer right ?
But how to connect to TV. Any link or guide ?

Kindly give some advice, Thanks in advance.

mingfreakrsx

Reaction score
I recently bought a LG LA623T (with DVT 2 bulit in) staying in a low HDB building which was block by high building at my area. The worst is i am stay at ground floor .Location near Tiong Bahru MRT.

Question
1) Is it adviceable to buy an antenna to receive digital signal or buy a RG6 coaxial cable to plug into the old HDB TV point. Which has a better chance to receive digital signal.

Old HDB TV point may have a better chance but it depends whether the TV antenna of your block is still in working condition. :)

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score

Question
Read this first:
The information here is complementary to post #2, the FAQ provided by MediaCorp

Quote:

Now I see a sudden burst of interest in the new transmission format.

For those using hdb wall outlets, and private properties (landed or older condos) with own antennae, if your tv sets can receive on analogue

U (chan28)
Octo (chan 30)
CNA (chan 32)

there is a high probability that you can receive the new T2 channels if your tv sets are T2 ready.

However, for some hdb blocks, these stated channels may have been changed to another channels (just like scv channels) because of technical limitation - if this is the case then there may be no reception.

The matv in my condo caters to the 3 channels stated above plus tv3 (chan 26). I could received T test transmission on chan 29 previously. I am confident that my condo can receive all the new 3 channels (yet to be verified).

Edit: Confirmed my condo matv can receive all 4 dvb t2 channels (27, 29, 31 and 33). This is on top of chan 38 (dvb t) which was catered for in my condo matv.

If your old matv point satisfy the conditions mentioned above (you need a coaxial cable to test, any off-the-shelf cable will do), then all problems solved. If not then you need a separate antenna to receive the digital tv signals - proceed to next question and answer.

2) If i want to see analog and digital channal , i need a VHF/UHF mixer right ?
But how to connect to TV. Any link or guide ?

Kindly give some advice, Thanks in advance.
The VHF/UHF mixer won't work. You need a a/b antenna switch as shown below:
Finally found them with the help of my best friend...Google "A/B Antenna Switch"
$T2eC16hHJGYE9nookQjcBR-I82R,dQ~~60_57.JPG

It has an operating frequency of 5 ~ 1000MHz which is suitable. But the insertion loss is unknown. If adaptor such as F to IEC is needed, there will be more losses.

Here is the url:
Antenna Cable Switch | eBay

For those who need help with the wiring connection:
A/B Switch Setup

Disclaimer: I have not used the products listed. Try at you own risk.
Note: Others have used it successfully.

a&w_rootbeerz

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
To know whether it is caused by weak signal or product defect, try it with a laptop or similar in an open area with no obstruction, or go to high floor with clear view of Bukit Batok. Can try with a different antenna than the supplied antenna.

This is a good tip! Thanks!

tmengyew

Reaction score
Read this first:

If your old matv point satisfy the conditions mentioned above (you need a coaxial cable to test, any off-the-shelf cable will do), then all problems solved. If not then you need a separate antenna to receive the digital tv signals - proceed to next question and answer.

The VHF/UHF mixer won't work. You need a a/b antenna switch as shown below:

Note: Others have used it successfully.

Thanks for the guidance.
Buy an indoor antenna show on pg2 , 6m long RG6 cable for $12 = poor signal on my crt tv. Guess my ground floor disavantage. Will try the hdb tv point but need adaptor for the scv coaxial cable. sign....:(

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the guidance.
Buy an indoor antenna show on pg2 , 6m long RG6 cable for $12 = poor signal on my crt tv. Guess my ground floor disavantage. Will try the hdb tv point but need adaptor for the scv coaxial cable. sign....:(
Probably another $2.30 or thereabout for the adaptor. If it works then it's all worth it. Make sure you buy this type (print the pic or take a picture to show to the sales man and you won't be wrong)
CM-FF-IEC-Male-F-Socket.jpg

Last edited:

tmengyew

Reaction score
Probably another $2.30 or thereabout for the adaptor. If it works then it's all worth it. Make sure you buy this type (print the pic or take a picture to show to the sales man and you won't be wrong)
CM-FF-IEC-Male-F-Socket.jpg

Thanks. Bought it and try, better than antenna but still not as good as scv tv point. think have no choice but to stick to SCV TV point as it is acceptable when i saw it at my friend 32 inch led tv(toshiba) not sure it will be worse on 42 inch. Hope the digital signal will come to my area sooner.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Bought it and try, better than antenna but still not as good as scv tv point. think have no choice but to stick to SCV TV point as it is acceptable when i saw it at my friend 32 inch led tv(toshiba) not sure it will be worse on 42 inch. Hope the digital signal will come to my area sooner.
1.The analogue signal from HDB's matv point is supposed to be as good as that coming from SCV point.

Call HDB Branch Service Line : 1800-2255432 (Weekdays: 8.00am - 5.00pm)

Explain the problem and they will rectify for you.

2. You did not say whether you were able to receive analogue Chan u, Octo and CNA from the matv point. If you can see these channels then your chances of getting digital dvb-t2 is pretty good. In that case you won't need a separate antenna for the digital tv reception. Keep your finger crossed:)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.