CFA vs Masters in Finance

dark_schneider23

Reaction score
CFA is very exam focused, but honestly, if you are disciplined and start early, bit by bit every day, it is manageable. And be prepared to sacrifice your weekends.The material is not too difficult - to me, it's just the volume that is staggering. So as I mentioned, start early.

As for its relevance, I do find that it is very helpful in my work. It's very theory-based, but it does give you some good fundamentals of how the financial industry works. But honestly, your work must really be related, or it will be hard to remember and apply what you have learnt.

A headhunter told me that academics like CFA and masters of finance etc is good for people doing sales, and if you are younger. This is because when you are young, experience matters less and academics matter more. As for the sales part, it is more for institutional or channel sales (not individual sales). But if you are looking at an investment/fund management job, CFA and masters don't help that much cos the employers will be more focused on your investment experience.

lvestige

Reaction score
Hi guys, sorry if this is a little off topic. I am intending to take SIM UOL banking & finance full time,is it advisable for me to take CFA straight after the degree? Thanks.

maisatomai

Banned
Reaction score
Hi guys, sorry if this is a little off topic. I am intending to take SIM UOL banking & finance full time,is it advisable for me to take CFA straight after the degree? Thanks.
Why not?You can even take it while taking the degree. Some overlap such as time value of money

zddersg

Reaction score
Actually, u can consider taking Masters in Applied Finance to boost your financial knowledge. It should cover things in CFA or deeper. There are 3 schools I know which is accredited by MAS, SMU, Macquarie U & Insead.

SITneva

Reaction score
MAS also recognises NTU and NUS. The only downside is, all NTU, NUS, and SMU provides Masters of Finance in NON-executive level. In other words, you will spend your 2-3 years studying with fresh grads like yourself. A positive point for that, same wave length with your class mates. Flip side of it, you can never grow as an individual, you will always be stuck at the junior level without exposure and network with people at the top of the food chain.

How many people, as a RM, or FP, or whoever at the retail banking gets the chance to mingle with a Finance Director, VP, or MD? You dont get those chances, not at least 3-4 years of working. Yeah, you might have them as your clients, but what are the chances?

In an executive masters of finance program, you get to see these people. Especially in the Finance sector, network is a very important tool. Where are you gonna get your clients from? From your class mate who's a fresh grad, who will be introducing his/her family members to you? How are you gonna get a better job opportunity, besides the fact that your fresh grad classmates have macdonald's opportunities. These are things most people don't see, but chases MAS accredited schools like SMU who are government schools. THey are awesome, no doubt, but how far can they get you in this dog-eat-dog world. Chinese saying, you need a backup (Kao Shan). How are you getting them??

Of cos, you might also be wondering how about INSEAD, where you can get all the networking opportunities. Their class consists of ALL C-levels. If you have more than 70k to spend, go ahead. And as for Macquire U, if you don't know yet, Macq is leaving SHRI. Go ask.

Oh, and did I mentioned that it's 2-3 years for schools like SMU, good luck!

PostCountWarrior[+1]

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Something meaningful I found online.

CPA, CFA or MBA?

It’s not a question of which one is better. It’s a question of which one is better for you. Traditionally, the CPA would lead to a career as a CFO; a CFA was on the path to become a portfolio manager; and a MBA would eventually become a corporate executive. This notion still holds today, however, achieving one of these certifications no way guarantees success.

Deciding which certification to pursue is usually made subconsciously. In our daily lives we read, talk and listen to friends, family and colleagues. Based on these interactions, we develop a superficial understanding on which certification to pursue. After much career and soul searching, I've come to realize that the most important question to ask before choosing a path is “what do I want to do?”

Do I want to be a CFO of a hedge fund?
Do I want to be a portfolio manager at a hedge fund?
Do I want to be a managing director at a private equity firm?
Do I want to be VP of business development at a corporation?

Now this might seem easy, but in reality it’s difficult. It’s difficult to verbalize why you want to pursue a particular career. My advice is follow the work, not the money. Regardless of the risks or the sunk costs, pursue your passion.

CPA
The Certified Public Accountant certification is a benchmark credential. It carries stature, significance and job security. In economic booms or busts, accountants are always needed. The more personable and diligent you are, the more success you will achieve.

Accounting is the basis of business. And being an expert in accounting gives you a unique business perspective that your other friends and colleagues might not possess. However, the thing I have come to realize is that once you’re labeled an accountant, you may be an accountant the rest of your life. It’s incredibly difficult to make the switch into a different career path within the business world (when I say business world I mean hedge fund analyst, private equity associate, business development).

My opinion on the matter might be affected by the economic environment in which I recruited. It is difficult to switch careers in a bear market. Ultimately though, my conclusion is drawn from the countless interactions with professionals throughout my recruitment process. Every time I would talk with head-hunters, recruiters, HR and interviewers, it would become apparent that they just wanted a two year analyst from an I-bank or consulting firm. My two years at PwC didn’t mean a thing to anybody. They would always tell me of a great job in the middle or back office and convince me that was the best role for me.

CFA
I am not a Chartered Financial Analyst charter holder. So I cannot express the opportunities that have or have not presented themselves as a result of the CFA charter. However, as a individual who has passed all three levels, no unique opportunities have appeared. No special career doors have opened. When I was recruiting, I had completed two levels of the CFA exam and it was thought more of a differentiation than a value added credential. I am interested to know what the future holds once I become an official CFA charter holder.

MBA
After talking with many people and seeing it first hand, I am convinced the only sure way to change career paths and make it to the top echelon of finance, without a background in investment banking or strategy consulting, is to attend a top 10 MBA school. Of course, you can get great finance jobs through other methods (that’s what I’m hoping to do) but this way seems most certain.

So if you want to work in an investment role at a private equity or at a hedge fund, and are not an investment banker or strategy consultant, I highly recommend crushing the GMAT (above 700) and going to a top 10 MBA school.

I have merely outlined my insight based on experience, which I hope can help you better decide which certification path to follow. Remember though that no path is certain nor on a straight line.

lobo_kia

Reaction score
Wow this is a very good and informative thread!

Just to check with those who have taken your GMAT, how did you prepare for it?
What are some of the resources which you got and where did you get it?

I understand that there is a change in the format right?

Do you have to achieve a high 600s in order to be accepted into the MBA program in SMU/ NTU/ NUS?

zddersg

Reaction score
Macquarie is moving to SAA, already see SAA putting their course in their website.

One thing to note:

SMU's course is 18mths, 20 modules

Macquarie's course is 24mths, 11 modules

singasmurf

Reaction score
i'm a cfa holder and hold an honours business degree from a local uni. Im already 32, but not sure if i should still pursue a masters in finance. there are quite a few schools such as Insead and Essec (prefer non-local schools to avoid duplicating my learning experience). what do you guys think?

kensi81

Reaction score
i'm a cfa holder and hold an honours business degree from a local uni. Im already 32, but not sure if i should still pursue a masters in finance. there are quite a few schools such as Insead and Essec (prefer non-local schools to avoid duplicating my learning experience). what do you guys think?

what is ur purpose for another masters?? at ur age and with ur qualification, i guess u wld be avp - vp level in banking now

kenmailbox1

Reaction score
hello,

I need some advice. I will be joining the financial sector next yr jun, i have deg in finance from dublin. How is the recruitment in the market like? Which sector, bank, firms should i join?

Feel like taking a CFA lvl 1 while waiting to resign from my current job. Read all the post from pg 1-13 on CFA, Master, MBAs. Feel like studying since i am still current from degree class. My degree was took too late, diploma was 8yrs ago & 31yrs old now. Doing a complete career switch from government to finance..

Any advice, thanks!!! :s12:

lekozg

Reaction score
I believe there's plenty of answers in this thread already, so please just read through and I'm sure you'll find your answer ;)

captainmarvel

Reaction score
Is there any value to a Masters from universities such as Queen Mary? For example a MSc in Finance or MSc in Investment & Finance?

Currently I am 1 year away from completing my Bachelors. Considering two options atm:

1) Enrol in a masters programme immediately

or

2) Work for 1-2 years and then enrol in a masters programme

Which is a better option?

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If this is for Bach Degree, I will advice people to study finish their course before they start their career.

However this is for Master Degree & my question to you is do you needs a Master Degree to work & start your career?

Is there any value to a Masters from universities such as Queen Mary? For example a MSc in Finance or MSc in Investment & Finance?

Currently I am 1 year away from completing my Bachelors. Considering two options atm:

1) Enrol in a masters programme immediately

or

2) Work for 1-2 years and then enrol in a masters programme

Which is a better option?

wahkao3

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
every mother son want to take CFA MBA go work in finance and banks, LOL

Noirkw

Reaction score
Hi guys. I was recently offered a place at Durham University's Finance Bsc (I do have a bit of background in finance from my diploma specialization). I was intending on applying for my CFA in my final year as I felt that going back to studying after working for several years wouldn't be too conducive. After reading through all the previous experience of others, I am a bit skeptical and whether I should continue with a CFA or continuing on with an Msc in Finance.

A full time masters in the UK could be completed in a 9 months. and I really do not wish to work for several years before I start to "upgrade" myself again. This is mainly due to age (I will start my degree at 23). Like some of you with more experience have mentioned, a CFA and an Msc would likely "steer" me to a specific career if I am absolutely sure what I aspire to be in the future. I feel that I do not want to restrict myself to a specific career path, as I never know what may happen in the future. I am looking more into versatility. So I believe a masters would be more beneficial to me? As a CFA would be for individuals who already understand what they want as their future career path?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.