To answer the SATA questions popping out everywhere.

Homeworld

Reaction score
zippo1979 said:

so the procedure is:

1. connect only SATA hdd, NO optical NO PATA... then install Win XP..

2. install XP liao.. then connect Optical and PATA..

but u never answer my question on how to differentiate between the PATAs if they are similar... how to see under Windows which one is the master, which is the slave?

No optical?

floppy

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Homeworld said:

No optical?

provided your winXP installation is on your hdd.. lol. buey sai lerrr must have one optical to boot from

Tboz

Reaction score
tommyx said:
good job floppy ( although i hate to praise u :laugh: )

anyway any diff in performance for true sata and 'fake' sata hdd ??
Let me quote this from storagereview whom I think has answered this question in the best way. :o

Originally written by Storage Review
Though converters usually exact a performance penalty, high-level performance remains the ultimate arbiter. All other things being equal, if a bridged design outperforms another that uses a native setup, it should be the obvious choice- as always, it's bottom-line rather than module-level performance that matters.
This thread is very infomative. Good job floppy. :D

kelvin25

Reaction score
Assuming I start from ground zero, wanna create a Raid 0 (striping) on 2 SATA...

1) Create Raid0 Array on booting first
2) Fdisk and format
3) Set CDROM bootable and insert Winxp and reboot.
4) On Bootup, select 3rd party RAID drivers [(if not onboard) , (if onboard, see if installation can detect?)]
5) Install Winxp, what have u etc etc
6) Plug in your IDE Raid, IDE drives, SCSI drives, Optical drives, USB drives, Parallel port drives and whatever left drives...

Any steps wrong or missing?
Please advise.

floppy

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tboz said:
This thread is very infomative. Good job floppy. :D

yep. i read there before. but as far as we all know no IDE or sata hard drive can saturate ATA100 yet, let alone ATA133/150. :)

floppy

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
kelvin25 said:
Assuming I start from ground zero, wanna create a Raid 0 (striping) on 2 SATA...

1) Create Raid0 Array on booting first
2) Fdisk and format
3) Set CDROM bootable and insert Winxp and reboot.
4) On Bootup, select 3rd party RAID drivers [(if not onboard) , (if onboard, see if installation can detect?)]
5) Install Winxp, what have u etc etc
6) Plug in your IDE Raid, IDE drives, SCSI drives, Optical drives, USB drives, Parallel port drives and whatever left drives...

Any steps wrong or missing?
Please advise.

if you raid, almost confirm must F6. scsi no ned plug out. only take out the PATA hard drives in your primary and secondary ide channels. or alternatively you can just disable the respective primary/secondary ide channels.

floppy

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
kelvin25 said:
WinXP performance should improve on Raid 0 drives right?

striping allows you to read and write to 2 drives at a time, of course it'll be faster :)

Mohawks

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
floppy said:
striping allows you to read and write to 2 drives at a time, of course it'll be faster :)
though higher risk of losing all your data ;)

Mohawks

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
serverxeon said:
MSI 865 PE FIS2R Raid 0 and 1. Check it out here.
This RAID 1 provided by Promise chipset.....which sits on the PCI bus = higher cpu utilisation and slightly slower than if SATA provided by southbridge (ICH5R)

floppy

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mohawks said:

This RAID 1 provided by Promise chipset.....which sits on the PCI bus = higher cpu utilisation and slightly slower than if SATA provided by southbridge (ICH5R)

only abit and the intel 875PW1E has Raid 1 integrated in the ICH5R ;)

i1magic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
floppy said:

Yah man... that's like dual channel harddisk!!

Btw... must say this is a great thread... i've managed to get my new system up and running with some trial & error... and realised that what u posted is all my findings as well!! *thumbs up*...

But sad things is i only know about this threads after i bought... so ended up with SATA Maxtor 120GB instead... = (

i1magic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Btw... i'm using an AMD XP 2500+ with Abit NF7-S Dual Channel with 2 x 256MB DDR400 ram.... which suppose to run at 800Mhz... which I don't see this number anywhere....

So does anyone overclock their AMD chip here? could u feedback the results??

floppy

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i1magic said:

Yah man... that's like dual channel harddisk!!

Btw... must say this is a great thread... i've managed to get my new system up and running with some trial & error... and realised that what u posted is all my findings as well!! *thumbs up*...

But sad things is i only know about this threads after i bought... so ended up with SATA Maxtor 120GB instead... = (

something like that. thanks dude.

err, dual channel ddr400 doesnt mean that your rams will runn at 800mhz. it simply means that two memory controllers are utilised to give your comp a 128bit mem path.

i1magic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oic... but 128bit path.... can my motherboard & AMD XP 2500+ can handle 128bit path meh?? if not.. then the guy at the shop smoke me liao... cos if that's the case... might as well go with 1 piece of 512MB DDR400... = (

floppy

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i1magic said:
Oic... but 128bit path.... can my motherboard & AMD XP 2500+ can handle 128bit path meh?? if not.. then the guy at the shop smoke me liao... cos if that's the case... might as well go with 1 piece of 512MB DDR400... = (

why not? the NF7-S is a nforce 2 mobo that has dual mem controllers wot

LxIxVxE

Senior Mentor
Reaction score
floppy said:

why not? the NF7-S is a nforce 2 mobo that has dual mem controllers wot

I thought the dual channels on nforce2 is *ahem* one?

XHT_THX

Reaction score
Hi Floppy,

can i ask a few questions here bout SATA raid:

Let say i have 2xWD raptors and want to do Raid 0 on the IC7-G using the ICH5R.

Can I know how to go bout doing it??
Like how to set the bios to enable the Raid function on the IC7-G. Then after that, what must I do?? Also what if i already have a WIN OS in my PATA Hdd but i want to install the OS on the SATA raid partition.

Can explain in steps by steps.

Thanks very much again...
Yr reply will be kindly noted.

Hope this can also help the rest who want to do raid on their SATA raid controllers.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.