[Maylyn's Review] ASUS RT-AC87U

SimonLam

Reaction score
hmm.. now caught in 2 minds of 2 AC87U, or 1 AC87U and 1 EA-AC87 for 5Ghz wireless media bridge at around 900Mbps rate.

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
hmm.. now caught in 2 minds of 2 AC87U, or 1 AC87U and 1 EA-AC87 for 5Ghz wireless media bridge at around 900Mbps rate.

Rather you get 2x ASUS RT-AC87U and can use it now lor ...

And can easier to resell both or individually when the time comes for the next generation BCM quad core, ASUS 4x4 more spatial streams (160MHz) routers or even the ASUS ROG 10GbE router :eek:

Do note media bridging works fine between 2x ASUS RT-AC87U but the link rate might fluctuates quite a bit in the mean time. resulting not up to par 5GHz performance.

Nevertheless ASUS are devoting their resources in fine tuning the 5GHz performance and others.

As for EA-87U, there isn't any estimated ETA and final design and specifications might change.

cochran

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi

So if get 2 x RT-AC87U. The "client" unit in my room. still able to Wifi and Lan work same time to "feed" equipment in the room?

Or i can only use the lan port and use my old router as wireless AP from one of the RT-AC87U lan port to get wireless?

Just an idea. estimated the EA-87U will cost how much? $200? or more? or less?

SimonLam

Reaction score

And can easier to resell both or individually when the time comes for the next generation BCM quad core, ASUS 4x4 more spatial streams (160MHz) routers or even the ASUS ROG 10GbE router :eek:

Do note media bridging works fine between 2x ASUS RT-AC87U but the link rate might fluctuates quite a bit in the mean time. resulting not up to par 5GHz performance.

Nevertheless ASUS are devoting their resources in fine tuning the 5GHz performance and others.

As for EA-87U, there isn't any estimated ETA and final design and specifications might change.

I want that 10GbE router :D:D

you are right.. back to my original plan to hoot 2 AC87U :s13:

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
I want that 10GbE router :D:D

you are right.. back to my original plan to hoot 2 AC87U :s13:

Hi SimonLam,

Just nice, you are the right person to help to answer cochran :p since you using media bridging mode. :D

If i not wrong, in media bridging mode for the secondary router, only the LAN ports can be used. not it's wireless, if any of the WiFi devices need to connect to the primary router for WiFi

Last edited:

SimonLam

Reaction score
Hi SimonLam,

Just nice, you are the right person to help to answer cochran :p since you using media bridging mode. :D

If i not wrong, in media bridging mode for the secondary router, only the LAN ports can be used. not it's wireless, if any of the WiFi devices need to connect to the primary router for WiFi

Yes.. in media bridging mode, the 2nd router connect via Wifi to the main router just like a 'wireless cable' in between the 2 routers. In the 2nd router that connects as a wireless bridge, only LAN ports and USB ports can be used.

Wireless AP is provided by the main router.

However, I am not sure if this combo work:
Main Router == wireless == Media Bridge -- wired -- Wireless Repeater

SimonLam

Reaction score
one more thing: In media bridge mode over 5Ghz, the distance between 2 routers plays a big part.

5Ghz degrades over distance and over obstacles. Make sure the 2 routers have an open unblocked point of sight, and all antennas are pointing straight upwards.

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Yes.. in media bridging mode, the 2nd router connect via Wifi to the main router just like a 'wireless cable' in between the 2 routers. In the 2nd router that connects as a wireless bridge, only LAN ports and USB ports can be used.

Wireless AP is provided by the main router.

However, I am not sure if this combo work:
Main Router == wireless == Media Bridge -- wired -- Wireless Repeater

Thanks for the reply,

May i phrase it in this manner, which i think it's might be possible :)

Main Router == wireless 5GHz == Media Bridge *Secondary Router -- wired -- 3rd router (in wireless router mode) with WiFi enabled.

Kinda like cascading the routers with wireless 5GHz in between on the same subnet with main router on reserve IP range doing the DHCP, NAT etc while the 3rd router with assigned IP with DHCP off.

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Broadcom CTF + FA

OMG :eek: Broadcom FA (Flow Technology) isn't technological smoke .... It's really working. If you are not sold on this.... I think you better don't join beyond 1Gbps or XGPON :s13:

Speedtests (task is running) are conducted and images are screengrab in real time.

Brodcom CTF

Down

Up

Both tests show almost 100% CPU activity on the first core including 60+% activity on the second core as well.

Broadcom CTF + FA

Down

Up

0% CPU activity !!!! :eek:

Readers are welcome to scrutinise these images :D

I will redo these tests with USB 3.0 transferring in the background to simulate activities to prove that the CPU status isn't broken shortly

Last edited:

cochran

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just to get some idea.

How much will the EA-AC87 cost? If not too far. May just get 2 RT-AC87.

THanks all for the explanation of wat the EA-AC87 can do.

Im worried that i cant get full speed of the 5Ghz speed. As the internet point and the router will be placed at a far end corner in the hall. Then the other client router will be placed inside the far end of the room with wooden door closed. House size is a 5 room hdb flat 130m-sq.

So its a bit of distance and not in full direct signal with door and wall.

ngbc

Master Member
Reaction score

Maylyn, would you be able to draft a tutorial on how and what is the best way to configure 2x ASUS RT-AC87U to utilized the 4x4 spatial stream for wired & wireless internet access ? TIA.

ckh98258

Reaction score
Retail at $399 and it will be available in this coming Comex 2014.

Last edited:

SimonLam

Reaction score
just to get some idea.

How much will the EA-AC87 cost? If not too far. May just get 2 RT-AC87.

THanks all for the explanation of wat the EA-AC87 can do.

Im worried that i cant get full speed of the 5Ghz speed. As the internet point and the router will be placed at a far end corner in the hall. Then the other client router will be placed inside the far end of the room with wooden door closed. House size is a 5 room hdb flat 130m-sq.

So its a bit of distance and not in full direct signal with door and wall.

You want to draw a picture how the 2 router are placed? and the physical distance between them?

I have similar setup:
1Gbps Fibre ONT => AC68U wireless router mode (at living room TV point) ==> 5Ghz Wireless Bridge ==> 2nd AC68U media bridge mode (just in front of bedroom doors in living room, with direct point-of-sight to 1st router and <5m distance) ==> GB LAN port wired (structural cabling during renovation) into bedroom PC desktop.

Current throughput for Room PC is 500-650Mbps internet.

Someone may ask: Why don't I just connect physical cables to 1st router?
(1.) Ugly cables that are not structure planned for a 10 year old house. Can't take out ceiling just to do this.
(2.) My 'network area' is at the 2nd router area where all telephony and previous Cable Modem are installed. Structure Cabling from all rooms are centrally connected to this location.
(3.) I want the Fibre TP to end at Living Room TV area - for future Internet-of-Anything, with 'Internet' entertainment in mind.
(4.) Wireless Bridge is the only effective way to do it, with money investment. Money cannot buy everything, but with technology advancement, soon it can pass consumer 1Gbps wired speed, which is sufficient to do anything in consumer world.

Last edited:

SimonLam

Reaction score
That means 7 早 8 早 must go queue and buy, cos its like a hot cake. Wait until sunday sure no stock.. :p

I just hope distri bring in sufficient stocks.

its a SGD 399 premium consumer network equipment - not hello kitty or mac leh. Hope no long queues in a sardine-packed IT show!!

Francis85

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sell it off ba....... would be better if avertek offer trade in for old router like my ac66......

this is a very poisonous router even for its price... if get this need to think what to do with my RT-N66U :o

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.