CFA vs Masters in Finance

lovemyself123

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hello seniors and professionals in the finance industry.

do you think completing 3 levels of CFA by the end of 3 years auditing experience in a big 4 will add value to myself?

what would be some possible routes after that. not really keen to continue being accountant

pravinkhetan

Reaction score
Difference between CFA and Masters in Finance

Can anyone tell me the difference between CFA and Masters in Finance?

Hey, yes both the programs are different.
Masters in Finance is all about Managing finance or related to management decision making. Here, you study not only finance but other topic of general management.

Where as CFA is more about Financial Analysis.
It focuses more on Investments and Stock market.

If you want to get a professional counseling talk to any institute who provides classes for cfa.

iplanonline.in/courses/cfa-level-1/

starbugs

Master Member
Reaction score
Hey, yes both the programs are different.
Masters in Finance is all about Managing finance or related to management decision making. Here, you study not only finance but other topic of general management.

Where as CFA is more about Financial Analysis.
It focuses more on Investments and Stock market.

Wrong info given. The advertised course/counselling is not worth a look:s13:

xiaomi123

Reaction score
Wrong info given. The advertised course/counselling is not worth a look:s13:

You right

I taken both and completed both. Msc in finance is in depth knowledge. CFA is textbook exam and very wide.

Whether it increase your chance of getting into finance sector really depend on how good you are. For example, a just pass in Msc finance is not impressive. Failing CFA 7 times before passing is not impressive either. There are so many factors and CFA and those Msc play only a small part

Successor.

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I heard masters of finance require econometrics and having go without them, will be quite tough as there will be alotnof applied stuffs.

wahkao3

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
forget about CFA,ACCA,MBA,M.Fin

All these are useless.
TA+FA ISH THE BEST!!!

arigatoast

Reaction score
hi guys. wonder did any of you took the masters of finance offered by uni of dublin in Kaplan? is it useful for a career switch into banks? thank you

zddersg

Reaction score
hi guys. wonder did any of you took the masters of finance offered by uni of dublin in Kaplan? is it useful for a career switch into banks? thank you

if it's Masters of Finance, rather than the one from uni of dublin, maybe you can look at alternatives like SMU and Macquarie U.

nlr3169

Reaction score
Master in Financial engineering from NUS/NTU with CFA level 3

Hello seniors in Finance and professionals. I want to do masters in Financial engineering Full time from NUS/NTU . I have completed CFA level 2 and wish to sit for level 3 next year. This is because I am an engineering graduate from the local university with many modules of finance education and wish to move to the finance industry as it is challenging and rewarding. But i work in a core engineering area with no finance industry experience. With CFA level 3 and MFE from NUS/NTU will it be easy for me to enter the Banking/Financial sector? Thanks in advance.

wahkao3

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hello seniors in Finance and professionals. I want to do masters in Financial engineering Full time from NUS/NTU . I have completed CFA level 2 and wish to sit for level 3 next year. This is because I am an engineering graduate from the local university with many modules of finance education and wish to move to the finance industry as it is challenging and rewarding. But i work in a core engineering area with no finance industry experience. With CFA level 3 and MFE from NUS/NTU will it be easy for me to enter the Banking/Financial sector? Thanks in advance.
u dont even need to get any useless elite certs to enter banking
as long as you can sell their product and hit sales target, you are it! They love u deep deep :o

FrostWurm

Master Member
Reaction score

You must understand what your career goals are first. Finance is a very large area; it covers everything from sales to corporate finance to restructuring.

MFE programmes are very quant, meaning that if you will be trained towards risk management, or become a quant(reserved for only the brightest). It also leads to some trading roles. It is not geared towards training you for a corporate finance career (though you will probably already have enough knowledge).

If you have already worked for a few years, think about why a bank would want to hire you if it can easily hire a fresh grad for less? What makes you so special that they would rather hire you than someone younger and cheaper?

The answer probably lies in your experience. So if you do a specific field of engineering (like O&G), you have a competitive edge when applying for roles like equity research in that field.

Another good way is to get an internship first

Biogentic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anyone took Master of Applied Finance from Macquaire University? How is it? Worth to pay so much $38k compared to Uni of Adelaide $28K?

vbhelper

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anyone took Master of Applied Finance from Macquaire University? How is it? Worth to pay so much $38k compared to Uni of Adelaide $28K?

r u refering to ngee ann adelaide? They no longer offer master in applied finance le :o

Biogentic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
r u refering to ngee ann adelaide? They no longer offer master in applied finance le :o

i checked with the consultant and was told that they are offering it next year and suggest that i signed up for the grad dip first and complete the remaining modules in MAF in the following year.

onitsuka_1

Reaction score
Hmm I'm already in valuation control for few years now, had a short stint in credit risk though. My eventual goal is to go to market risk or if opportunities allow for it, would like to go for a quant role. U all think taking the FRM exam or doing masters in financial engineering will be better uh?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.