NUS ISS Master of Technology or NUS Master of Computing?

hoaaron1985

Reaction score
Hello to all!

I am quite puzzled about both courses offered by NUS. Anybody over here is studying either NUS ISS Master of Technology or NUS Master of Computing? Can give me some advice on which course is better?

Thanks!

blurbloco

Master Member
Reaction score
One is mainly for people who has little IT training, the other is mainly for people who has enough IT training.

continuum

Reaction score
One is mainly for people who has little IT training, the other is mainly for people who has enough IT training.
That's not quite true (about MTech), at least not for the Masters programme. Experienced IT professionals would still be able to gain a lot of knowledge from the programme. In fact, certain modules can get rather demanding if you do not have enough IT skills.

I'd say the difference between MTech and MComp is the focus. MTech focuses more on applied IT (more practical), whereas MComp goes deeper into how things work in the background (more theoretical).

In terms of difficulty, I'd say MComp tends to be more difficult. But in terms of work load and time commitment, MTech is more demanding.

Ryuichi

Master Member
Reaction score
That's not quite true (about MTech), at least not for the Masters programme. Experienced IT professionals would still be able to gain a lot of knowledge from the programme. In fact, certain modules can get rather demanding if you do not have enough IT skills.

I'd say the difference between MTech and MComp is the focus. MTech focuses more on applied IT (more practical), whereas MComp goes deeper into how things work in the background (more theoretical).

In terms of difficulty, I'd say MComp tends to be more difficult. But in terms of work load and time commitment, MTech is more demanding.

Fair comment, spoke to some alumni about MTech too, and it really take up a lot of time. Imagine juggling your work and 3 Part time modules each term!

Reaction score
Hi there,

There is no "which course is better" in this case. It depends on your area of interest. I strongly suggest you take a close look at their respective specializations. For instance, coming from the KM and data analytics angle, I'll go for MTech's KE specialization as it has modules that I really like. However, if I were to choose MComp, I'll go for Information Systems specialization as my background is IT. Do note that MTech has more modules which you need to cover as compared to MComp. This also means that you'll probably take longer to graduate if you don't intend to max out the number of modules per sem which you're allowed to take.

Hello to all!

I am quite puzzled about both courses offered by NUS. Anybody over here is studying either NUS ISS Master of Technology or NUS Master of Computing? Can give me some advice on which course is better?

Thanks!

Ryuichi

Master Member
Reaction score
Any applicants for this coming 2015 January intake? :)

All the best.

Ryuichi

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi tartee25,

I am applying for MTech , Software Engineering Track. Going for an interview this week.

Ryuichi

Master Member
Reaction score
Yes it is Part-time.

Just an interview, nothing concrete thus far.

I didn't choose MComp cause of the GMAT requirements haha

tartee25

Reaction score
Yes it is Part-time.

Just an interview, nothing concrete thus far.

I didn't choose MComp cause of the GMAT requirements haha

Are you applying as international student? I went to the briefing session for MComp and verified that it doesn't need for local student.

Ryuichi

Master Member
Reaction score
I am local , and i did correspondence with the admin officer. She said that it is not mandatory, but then again, it could affect my application.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.