Who is aiming for iPhone 6 as a DAP/transport?

bangdoll

Master Member
Reaction score
Since its coming next week, anyone here gunning for it as a DAP and or transport?

Share your views. I for one will likely get it.

Mach3.2

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for my friend to upgrade so I can buy his iP4s to use as a DAP....

xuan87

Reaction score
Since its coming next week, anyone here gunning for it as a DAP and or transport?

Share your views. I for one will likely get it.

The iPhone may be a decent DAP but I won't have any idea until I get one and listen to it, so I will just share my thoughts on using it as a transport since I've given it alot of thoughts.

IMO, Android phones will make better transports compared to iPhones for 1 simple reason: The micro USB port vs the lightning port.

Both Android phones and iPhones can output music as digital signals via their respective ports to a DAC+Amp (For now on Android phones you need to do it via an app as this function is not natively supported, but it will be on Android L).

However, Apple controls the production of 3rd part lightning-USB cables really strictly and as a result, there isn't any short cables. You can look at this link from JDS Lab for more details. If you look at their photos, you can see that the iPhone rig isn't really portable.

For Android phones, there are more cable options and I bought a right angled miniUSB to right angle microUSB which will allow me to stack my android phone on my dac/amp, giving me a compact rig.

weng

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm into separating phone and audio. Considering storage space and battery life as well, guess i'll always have a separate dap for music, unless the phone's sq is so good until making a separate dap pointless.

alamakazim

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For me the 4s sounds good

But ever since my ak100 gets 2x128gb +32gb

I don't fancy anything less than 256gb

bangdoll

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the opinions.

For digital interconnect, no doubt Android based devices(micro-B USB) available locally. There are several MFI certified lightning to USB short cables available out there, just that have to be purchased from overseas.

I've been switching between Android and IOS over the years but still prefer IOS due to ease of use, direct control and form factor. Technically, my job involves heavily on apple-based system integration and therefore having an IOS enabled device makes work much easier.

Personally as an ex-owner of iPhone 4S, its sound quality was the best compared to the current models. Hopefully, the new 6 series might go back to the same path.

There are mixed opinions by several tech websites on this new phone.
Best would be physically scrutinized the demo product and read those credible web reviews for better judgement.

Last edited:

dqwong

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There's some pretty neat parametric equalizer that you can use on IOS. IMHO, I rather use iphone5c/4s as transport over the bigger and more dearer iPhone 6.

xuan87

Reaction score
Thanks for the opinions.

For digital interconnect, no doubt Android based devices(micro-B USB) available locally. There are several MFI certified lightning to USB short cables available out there, just that have to be purchased from overseas.

I've been switching between Android and IOS over the years but still prefer IOS due to ease of use, direct control and form factor. Technically, my job involves heavily on apple-based system integration and therefore having an IOS enabled device makes work much easier.

Personally as an ex-owner of iPhone 4S, its sound quality was the best compared to the current models. Hopefully, the new 6 series might go back to the same path.

There are mixed opinions by several tech websites on this new phone.
Best would be physically scrutinized the demo product and read those credible web reviews for better judgement.

Bro, can you send me the links to some of those short lightning-USB cables that you've seen? Thanks.

xuan87

Reaction score
o0570042813013020652.jpg

Lightning to USB Camera Adapter - Apple Store (Singapore)

:s11:

That will work but it will not be portable for me.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For me:
Sony Z2 - Phone
Sony Walkman F887 with Sony portable amp - Music
Sony Z2 Tablet - Gaming/Browsing/Starhub TV/Tethering :p
FYI my Z2 uses a normal SIM card while my tablet uses
mobile broadband.
I'm already lock and load.

xuan87

Reaction score
Some links to MFI certified cables. For non-certified, taobao has many.

1. Amazon Basics
2. Furutech straight, Furutech L-shape
3. VentureCraft
4. Logitec
5. V-Moda
6. Labkable

Thanks for the links bro!

Unfortunately, none of them is what I'm looking for. I want a short right angled lightning to right angled mini USB cable, so that I can use with my portable DAC+Amp. Most portable DAC only accept mini USB as input only.

I found a head-fier who did a few such pieces for himself and others, will contact him to see if he can do it for me too.

bangdoll

Master Member
Reaction score
No worries, sorry none that meet your requirements. Hope you can find the interface you're looking for :)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.