Sydney

Jench1745

Reaction score
Here is my itinerary for my Sydney trip. Please give me advice if possible.

Day 1: Reach Sydney around noon. Plan to rent a car and drive to Blue Mountain and stay there for the night.

Day 2: Explore Blue Mountain and Jenolan Cave and back to Blue Mountain to stay for the night

Day 3: Drive to Wollongong and back to Sydney.

Day 4-7: Explore Sydney City

Is this feasible?

deodorant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Usually 3 or 4 day rental is not much different from 1 week rental.

It depends on where you'll be staying too. Hotels in the city do not come with free parking, so it can end up being quite costly.

Day 3 possible to include Jervis Bay, especially if just to look-see (i.e. nothing too time-consuming).

Thanks, Day 3 I was thinking of early morning start shooting straight to Jervis Bay try to catch a whale or dolphin watching cruise (departs at 10.30am) ... then lunch and then do the "road trip" thingy on the way back.

I'm staying at coogee beach area at some place off airbnb with "ample free street parking" according to the description. Like you said it seems the extra cost of renting a car the extra 2 days doesn't seem that expensive especially as it's offset by the convenience of driving from the airport direct to coogee.

fantas1a

Reaction score
I'm staying at coogee beach area at some place off airbnb with "ample free street parking" according to the description. Like you said it seems the extra cost of renting a car the extra 2 days doesn't seem that expensive especially as it's offset by the convenience of driving from the airport direct to coogee.

You can do the 4 hr Coogee to Bondi coastal walk, since you're near there. It's pretty.

fantas1a

Reaction score
Here is my itinerary for my Sydney trip. Please give me advice if possible.

Day 1: Reach Sydney around noon. Plan to rent a car and drive to Blue Mountain and stay there for the night.

Day 2: Explore Blue Mountain and Jenolan Cave and back to Blue Mountain to stay for the night

Day 3: Drive to Wollongong and back to Sydney.

Day 4-7: Explore Sydney City

Is this feasible?
Sounds all right. Some bigger considerations:

1) If you're arriving on a weekend, might be better to do the markets first. Cos the main markets which are clustered near or in the city: Eveleigh Markets (for organic farmer stuff), Paddington markets, Rocks Markets only open during the Sats and/or Sundays.

2) The road from Katoomba to Jenolan caves can be quite difficult and winding drive, so you may want to take it slowly and rotate drivers esp. after a long 8 hr flight and +3 hrs jetlag .

3) If you're using a GPS, be careful not to take the fastest and shortest route to Wollongong. IMO, there's nothing much in Wollongong; is just a bigger city with more people. You would want to explore the surrounding areas by the coast nearer north and south of Wollongong. GPS usually route the inland Hume highway A31, that bypasses the coastal attractions. To avoid that, key in the coastal attraction directly (for example sea cliff bridge) and not Wollongong, and let GPS route using the coastal road which branches from the M1 highway. It's advisable to do the coastal scenic drive on your way to Wollongong and not on your way back to Sydney. The attractions are more accessible southward than northward.

Also, if you're driving from blue mountain, you may be routed to M7 or M5 (which are both toll roads) to M1. Not to worry, you can just drive pass but remember to login to etags website to pay for the toll before you return the car. Otherwise, you will be slapped with a heavy administrative fine.

4) Coastal road is winding and cuts across national park. It is called the Grand Pacific Scenic drive.

4) gobirds.com.au is a good rental car company to use.

kevin301

Reaction score
Thanks, Day 3 I was thinking of early morning start shooting straight to Jervis Bay try to catch a whale or dolphin watching cruise (departs at 10.30am) ... then lunch and then do the "road trip" thingy on the way back.

Sounds like a plan! :)
If I receive any discount codes for car rental (e.g. rent 6 days get 1 day free), I'll try to inform you if I remember :)
Congee area has plenty of street parking as long as you're away from the main beach area. Be sure to check the signposts. Sometimes a limited duration (1, 2 hour) is specified.

Jench1745

Reaction score
Sounds all right. Some bigger considerations:

1) If you're arriving on a weekend, might be better to do the markets first. Cos the main markets which are clustered near or in the city: Eveleigh Markets (for organic farmer stuff), Paddington markets, Rocks Markets only open during the Sats and/or Sundays.

2) The road from Katoomba to Jenolan caves can be quite difficult and winding drive, so you may want to take it slowly and rotate drivers esp. after a long 8 hr flight and +3 hrs jetlag .

3) If you're using a GPS, be careful not to take the fastest and shortest route to Wollongong. IMO, there's nothing much in Wollongong; is just a bigger city with more people. You would want to explore the surrounding areas by the coast nearer north and south of Wollongong. GPS usually route the inland Hume highway A31, that bypasses the coastal attractions. To avoid that, key in the coastal attraction directly (for example sea cliff bridge) and not Wollongong, and let GPS route using the coastal road which branches from the M1 highway. It's advisable to do the coastal scenic drive on your way to Wollongong and not on your way back to Sydney. The attractions are more accessible southward than northward.

Also, if you're driving from blue mountain, you may be routed to M7 or M5 (which are both toll roads) to M1. Not to worry, you can just drive pass but remember to login to etags website to pay for the toll before you return the car. Otherwise, you will be slapped with a heavy administrative fine.

4) Coastal road is winding and cuts across national park. It is called the Grand Pacific Scenic drive.

4) gobirds.com.au is a good rental car company to use.

Thank you for your feedback fantas1a.

I tried searching for gobirds.com.au but only leads me to new zealand rental company. Is this the correct address?

I plan to take the Grand Pacific Scenic drive. Any suggestion where to visit along the route? Sorry, was very occupied with my work, hence didn't do much research. Appreciate if anybody could help me out.

Thanks...

kevin301

Reaction score
Thank you for your feedback fantas1a.

I tried searching for gobirds.com.au but only leads me to new zealand rental company. Is this the correct address?

I plan to take the Grand Pacific Scenic drive. Any suggestion where to visit along the route? Sorry, was very occupied with my work, hence didn't do much research. Appreciate if anybody could help me out.

Thanks...

Maybe it is NO BIRDS ?

How far south along the Grand Pacific Drive do you plan to travel? The stretch just after the end of the Royal National Park is quite scenic, up till Kiama and onward to Jervis Bay.

Jench1745

Reaction score
Maybe it is NO BIRDS ?

How far south along the Grand Pacific Drive do you plan to travel? The stretch just after the end of the Royal National Park is quite scenic, up till Kiama and onward to Jervis Bay.

I have only a day to explore.. starting from blue mountain to Grand Pacific Drive and back to Sydney... How far can I go?

kevin301

Reaction score
I have only a day to explore.. starting from blue mountain to Grand Pacific Drive and back to Sydney... How far can I go?

From Katoomba (assuming that's your start point in Blue Mountains), it's already a pretty long drive just to reach Wollonggong.
Not sure how much further you can go. Granted, it is approaching summer (and longer days)...
My best guess would be Kiama as the maximum. Depends on what time you start, how fast you go, and any stops along the way.

you are intending to be back in Sydney at the end of the day?

Last edited:

Jench1745

Reaction score
From Katoomba (assuming that's your start point in Blue Mountains), it's already a pretty long drive just to reach Wollonggong.
Not sure how much further you can go. Granted, it is approaching summer (and longer days)...
My best guess would be Kiama as the maximum. Depends on what time you start, how fast you go, and any stops along the way.

you are intending to be back in Sydney at the end of the day?

Yup. Going back to Sydney as I have already booked the hotel.

Not necessary to go all the way to Wollongong, just wish to experience driving along Grand Pacific Drive and tge scenic places along the way.

fantas1a

Reaction score
Yup. Going back to Sydney as I have already booked the hotel.

Not necessary to go all the way to Wollongong, just wish to experience driving along Grand Pacific Drive and tge scenic places along the way.

Wollongong is realistically achievable before last light (about 7:30pm), if you reach the start of grand pacific drive, ie the start national park by noon or maybe even after lunch. It's advisable to have lunch or brunch before you head into scenic drive. It'll be another hour or two before you reach a small town where you can find food. You can stop along the lookouts (brown signages), take a few 5-10 mins of short hiking trails.

It's flexible, if you intend to break off earlier back to Sydney you can do so, there's no need to push to Wollongong. There're roads leading back to the highway from the coastal road. If you've more time, you can push to Kiama. Quite flexible anyway. But I think the climax of the pacific drive is the sea cliff bridge portion overlooking the Pacific and maybe one or two beaches after that. After a while, it looks all the same. :) If you're a forest kind of person, the National Park drive is quite pretty also.

The road back to Sydney is a 2+2 lane highway 110 km/hr speed limit. Easy drive. So take your time with the coastal drive.

Oh yes, have dinner near Wollongong or surrounds, before you head back Sydney. You may not be able to find food easily after a certain time.

That's assuming you're "the middle of the road" kind of traveller: not the extreme super tasked oriented, stop, click camera and buy tee shirt and off you go kind. And not the sit down, breath fresh air, read book and practice yoga kind.

Think on your way to airport and 8 hrs flight, just do some read up. They've a dedicated website site for that.

Royal National Park | Routes & Maps | Grand Pacific Drive

kevin301

Reaction score
The area near the Sea Bridge is quite nice :)

GrandPacificDrive_zpsfdbc30df.jpg

Generally the road is quite pleasant and scenic to drive (especially compared to 'boring' Singapore roads) for several hundred kilometres further south, so realistically you can't hope to go that far and make it back to Sydney by night.

killachicken

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually you can just explore the towns around Sydney, better than fly to Melbourne and feel rushed.

Lots of coastal towns, skiing at the snowy mountains, wine country to the north, cheese and ice-cream making in the south, mining towns to the far west, limestone caves in the blue mountains area, etc.

Tried doing some homework on this... now I am torn inbetween my options.. luckily i still got a long time to plan:s13:

kah kah

Reaction score
Hi there,
I have similar trip, 5 days in Melbourne (visit GOR, Philip Island and Varra Valley) and another 5 days in Sydney. I need some recommendation for my Sydney trip on day 5 & 6.
Day 1 (Tue) & 2 (Wed): Sydney city and stay at Sydney
Day 3: Morning pick up rental car and drive to Jenolan Cave (accomdation at Katoomba)
Day 4: Blue Mountain (accom. at Katoomba)
Day 5: Any intertesting place around Katooma to visit? I can change accomdation accordingly.
Day 6 (Sun): Evening 7pm flight to Singapore.

Thanks
Kah

Last edited:

Jench1745

Reaction score
Is Jervis Bay worth going? Is it only for dolphin or whale watching? Any specified time for the cruise? Any other things to do there?

ktee

Reaction score
I booked local tours in Sydney coz got 1 for 1 promotion.
1. Port Stephens Dolphin Watcher and sand boarding
2. Blue Mountains & Jenolan Caves
3. Morning Sydney City Tour with Bondi Beach

Too bad no whale watching in Dec...

from misa tours (local). go check out their site.

Last edited:

kevin301

Reaction score
Tried doing some homework on this... now I am torn inbetween my options.. luckily i still got a long time to plan:s13:

always fun to plan for holidays :) Something to look forward to. Feel free to ask if you need a 2nd opinion.

kevin301

Reaction score
Is Jervis Bay worth going? Is it only for dolphin or whale watching? Any specified time for the cruise? Any other things to do there?

Have passed through Jervis Bay a few times enroute further south. Have not gone on a dolphin or whale watching cruise :)

The sand is amazingly white.
Mostly I just chill and take photos. Amazing seascapes around there.

killachicken

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I managed to find a website for pretty good deal on hotels. just that not many hotels listed. Booked shangri-la at about 250sgd a night for sydney.. choose harbour view and its even cheaper

2ppjyiu.jpg

My referral link is (yes my shameless link to help me earn points if you book via that website as well, but hey u get a $35 voucher too)
Referral link :)

Non-referral link :(

Last edited:

dede1217

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I managed to find a website for pretty good deal on hotels. just that not many hotels listed. Booked shangri-la at about 250sgd a night for sydney.. choose harbour view and its even cheaper

2ppjyiu.jpg

My referral link is (yes my shameless link to help me earn points if you book via that website as well, but hey u get a $35 voucher too)
Referral link :)

Non-referral link :(

you use travelpony haha ....
that time they give 20usd voucher when they first started haha ...
now their promo voucher like nt that good
one point good is that they can be used for international chains hotels :)
if u willing to spend on those 5 stars hotel, can try their sites :)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.