Sydney

kevin301

Reaction score
yup, went in oct, their 6pm singapore time is like 10+pm haha
their 7am singapore time is like 11am haha ...
once u reach singapore time 4pm, the sky basically starts to become like 7+pm kinda dark ...

I don't quite understand this post.
Why are you referring to Singapore time when talking about the sky becoming dark in Australia? Due to time difference of 2 hours between Sydney and Singapore (for example), it is natural to expect the sunset to be about 2-3 hours ahead of Singapore.
Singapore 6+ sky starting to get dark.
Similarly in Sydney/Melbourne around the Equinox.

But being much further from the Equator than Singapore, the variation in the length of day is quite great, between winter and summer solstice.

hellfire190

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Most shops close by 5:30pm. Some bigger departmental stores close by 7pm. Major supermarkets close by 10pm or midnight. Shopping day's on thurs so stores open till 8:30pm or 9pm...

Jench1745

Reaction score
3 days rental for $214?
That's kinda high, but explained by short rental period and also quite good insurance coverage. Additionally you have airport transfer.
All in all, OK I suppose.

Another deal from AVIS, same number of days but Holden SV6 for $260. Basic insurance coverage. Which one would u choose?

kevin301

Reaction score
Another deal from AVIS, same number of days but Holden SV6 for $260. Basic insurance coverage. Which one would u choose?

Holden SV6 is a very very different car compared with Toyota Corolla.
Because I like this car very much, I would choose it over the Corolla, even though I hardly need the extra space. It's quite environmentally unfriendly for 1 or 2 people to be driving such a big and powerful car, but heck... YOLO... ;)

The insurance is something you have to be aware of. With the much higher excess, you are bearing a lot of the financial risk. Only you can decide if it is worthwhile. Sorry, but my opinion really doesn't count toward your decision.

Symbol

Reaction score
Usually the shops open by about 8am, sometimes even earlier.
They're not as lazy as retail stores in Singapore, opening at 10-11am ;)

Open shop earlier, close shop earlier.
Starts to get a little more happening when night falls.

Jench1745

Reaction score
Holden SV6 is a very very different car compared with Toyota Corolla.
Because I like this car very much, I would choose it over the Corolla, even though I hardly need the extra space. It's quite environmentally unfriendly for 1 or 2 people to be driving such a big and powerful car, but heck... YOLO... ;)

The insurance is something you have to be aware of. With the much higher excess, you are bearing a lot of the financial risk. Only you can decide if it is worthwhile. Sorry, but my opinion really doesn't count toward your decision.

Dilemma...:s11:... Really want to try Holden which cant be found in sg but the excess too damn high...

killachicken

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Since we are on the topic of excess, which travel insurance covers the highest car rental excess? Or is the max $1500?

kevin301

Reaction score
Dilemma...:s11:... Really want to try Holden which cant be found in sg but the excess too damn high...

Yes it is a risk.
You would have to spend more to get excess reduction, and then travel insurance should cover the rest.

The SV6 is bigger than a Toyota Camry. Are you comfortable with a car of that size? Driving around the city will be a chore. Only on an open country road will it be enjoyable to drive this thing.

kevin301

Reaction score
But read that the police there sibei on..... still can enjoy ah

You referring to speeding?
I would strongly advise against it.
Yes the cops are quite on-the-ball.
But enjoying driving is not all about going flat-out fast on a straight piece of road.

kevin301

Reaction score
I get what u mean :s13: Twisties and b-roads are my favourite too:s12:

can you believe I got pulled over twice in 10 minutes for random breath test and license check, somewhere in the middle of nowhere along highway from Canberra to Sydney?
That's more times than I've been pulled over in 15 years in Singapore!

hellfire190

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Hertz allows maximum cover which means zero excess. Others offer reduced excess protection. The cover fee's a sizable amount compared to the rental fee.

hellfire190

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
can you believe I got pulled over twice in 10 minutes for random breath test and license check, somewhere in the middle of nowhere along highway from Canberra to Sydney?
That's more times than I've been pulled over in 15 years in Singapore!

They usually work in pairs along that way, but covering opposite directions. Lil unlucky.

kevin301

Reaction score
They usually work in pairs along that way, but covering opposite directions. Lil unlucky.

The 2nd one didn't know about the 1st. I think I turned from 1 highway (Federal - exiting Canberra) to another (Hume).
Really unlucky. LOL

Can anybody advise if AVIS allow after office hour return?

Might have to ask them. Depends on the particular branch. The airport one probably would allow. But I honestly cannot remember.

Shirui1994

Reaction score
Hello! I am selling one pair of scoot business tickets to anywhere. Will be worth it if you wanna travel to Sydney during Xmas period as there's a high likely chance (durin Xmas week) that I'll sell you at economic price but you get to enjoy business facilities. PM me for more details nw!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.