iHerb, Good Buys, Food, Health & Chitchats - Part 2

eddy2099sg

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Let's keep this thread about any good buys from any stores, locally or overseas like iherb or amazon. Also about how we make use of the items, about good health and good buys. basically anything which will directly or indirectly affect our lives, our health and our well being.

Please keep this thread clean. No nudity, no swear words and all that.

Just a little iherb FAQs for the newbies

Shipping Cost

iHerb offers 3 shipping methods to SG and the most popular two options are Singpost and DHL Express

Singpost - US$4 (Flat Fee) for up to 14lbs (6.35kg) - US$200 order limit. This option typically takes between 4 to 6 days from shipping to reaching your door steps. The initial shipping will be through CJ (a korean shipper) and when it reach Singapore, it will be handed over to Speedpost.

DHL Express - US$8 for the first 8lbs (3.6kg) and US$1 for each subsequent pound. It will take between 2 to 4 days to reach you. No order limit and a maximum of 150lbs.

All the above options come with online tracking.

Shipping Weight

As with any air freight, the shipping weight is based on volumetric weight and not actual weight. So a packet of potato chips would have a higher volumetric weight compared to a bottle of supplements.

On the Product Description, take note of the Shipping Weight and on the Cart, you will see a total Shipping Weight.

Pricing on iHerb

As this is a US website, all prices are listed in US$. When you sign up for an account, you would see a XE equivalent on the product page and also on the cart.

Discounts
Cart Discount - If you accumulate a minimum US$60 in subtotal in your cart, you will get an additional 5% discount.

Volume Discount - For some items, you will add a couple of additional percentage of discounts if you buy 4 or 12 units. The discount varies between the items.

If you are buying more than 1 unit, make sure to check the expiry dates.

Specials

On the weekly basis, they will put some product or brands on offer. The weekly offer would typically appear on our Thursday Morning after 2am (Wednesday PST 10am) listed on the Specials Page http://www.iherb.com/specials , you will find items on offer but do check the expiry dates as some items offered have short-expiry dates.

Prohibited Items

iHerb sells a lot of different supplements, groceries, snacks and body care bodies but not everything are permitted into Singapore.

Do download the HSA Guidelines
http://www.hsa.gov.sg/publish/etc/m...s/files_1.Par.94501.File.dat/HSGuidelines.pdf for the current HSA guidelines on what cannot be brought into Singapore.

Avoid buying any supplements with DHEA as they are prohibited in Singapore.

--
Phoon huat Prices as of 24/06/2014

Chia seeds 250gm $6.60
Chia seeds 1kg $21.90

Frozen durian meat 1kg $19.30
Demerara sugar 500gm $2.80
Dark rye flour 1kg $5.65
Egg white powder 250gm $9.80
Corn meal 500gm $2.45
Corn polenta fine 1kg $4.15

Almond blanched powder (superfine) 250gm $5.10
Almond ground extra fine 250gm $4.85
Almond ground extra fine 1kg $17.90
Almond blanched powder (superfine) 1kg $18.95
Almond blanched ground 1kg $17.90
Almond whole blanched 1kg $18.25

Hazel ground 1kg $27.30
250gm $6.90

Peanut ground 1kg $6.70
250gm $2.45

Vanilla extract 100% pure 500ml (with alcohol) $11.45
Molasses 1kg $6.30

Kettle potato chips 142gm $3.80

Plain flour 1kg $1.80

Beurre doux butter 1kg $11.00
Butler butter 200gm $1.55 unsalted
Butler butter 1kg $7.85 1% salt (looks like this is supposedly unsalted)
Golden tree 250gm $2.60 salted & unsalted

Kim chi sliced 500gm $6.90

eddy2099sg

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
First attempt at making herb bread

Ingredient

350g atta flour
50g rye flour
1 cup water (200ml)*
2 tbsp non diary creamer*
1 tbsp yeast
1/2 tbsp raw turbinado sugar
1/2 tbsp low sodium salt
3 tbsp onion powder
2 tbsp Italian herb mix
80gm butter (tiny cubes)
2 tbsp Olive oil

* by right the recipe calls for milk but being lactose intolerant, I had to modify

Steps

1) mix all the dry ingredients together without salt and then add salt after.

2) Mix in butter and water and stir until moist texture

3) knead dough for 10 minutes until all ingredients combined and the dough is smooth and elastic

4) cover dough with damped cloth and let it stand and double in size for an hour.

5) punch dough to flatten and reshape. In my case I made buns but otherwise just pour mixture into rectangle tray to set. The tray should be non stick or layer with parchment paper and oiled. Set aside for 30 minutes or when the dough doubles in size.

6) oven set to 190 degrees Celsius. Brush the top with olive oil And bake for 30 to 45 minutes till desired brownness.

atrea9.jpg

2zqwoc4.jpg

And the flatten and fried version

sq2w7s.jpg

Both versions are crispy on the outside and soft and nice in the inside.

Atta flour is what they use to make chapati or roti prata.

eddy2099sg

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For today, the 10th for me was eating dessert made of chocolate chocolate chip bread, Maple Hugger ice cream & cacao nibs! With a nice cup of cinnamon mocha coffee. Anytime I eat chocolate, I am super happy. :s13:

Mine was being able to bake my first bread bun without a bread maker :)

Ha haa, you sounds like Charlie Bucket in Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory :o

Duncerblur

Reaction score
Mine was being able to bake my first bread bun without a bread maker :)

Ha haa, you sounds like Charlie Bucket in Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory :o

I am so impressed with your bread! Well done, mate! I used to make my own bread too but nowadays with my swollen wrists & fingers, it all gets a little too much for me. But I live vicariously through others like you ... *drool over bread*

Haha, how did you know my nickname back home was Willy Wonka? My friends call my stuff The Choccie Factory stuff. I just call myself Willy Wonkie instead. :s13:

I noted the avocadoes & the BBQ chicken at The Cold Storage too! Imma gonna get those & make an avocado, BBQ chicken shreds & mozzarella pizza over the weekend. I'm waiting to see what Giant has on special for the weekend before I plan my grocery run. Come on, Giant, stop dawdling! LOL

yan.an

Master Member
Reaction score

Duncerblur

Reaction score
iHerb Beauty Supplements Review

I just came across a review about some of iHerb's beauty supplements which I thought was rather interesting.

Erhm, I do not take any beauty supplements (lost cause, haha!) so I do not know if this is a fair review, but still interesting I thought. It raises some thought towards the reviews we often see on iHerb & other sites like Amazon.

4 Highly Raved Beauty Supplements From iHerb That Did Not Work For Me |

Isabella_

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I just came across a review about some of iHerb's beauty supplements which I thought was rather interesting.

Erhm, I do not take any beauty supplements (lost cause, haha!) so I do not know if this is a fair review, but still interesting I thought. It raises some thought towards the reviews we often see on iHerb & other sites like Amazon.

4 Highly Raved Beauty Supplements From iHerb That Did Not Work For Me |
hahaha!!!
reminds me tt aft taking 2 or 3 bottles of acai berries. it did not make me lose weight. I'm oso on acv which is supposed to lose weight. duh.
now I'm trying raspberries ketone
women. is what keep the pills industry thriving

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.