Ex Options Trader from Investment bank!

I r the...
...#1 fan!!!

Yukari

Last edited:

civicguy

Banned
Reaction score
I think he already retired. So knowledgeable. Amazing. Our luck to have him in our forum :)

klavier

Reaction score
I like to read his post too.. Though i am still confuse in what to invest in..
Anyway thanks to Shiny Things and others for sharing..

yukari_san3

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I like to read his post too.. Though i am still confuse in what to invest in..
Anyway thanks to Shiny Things and others for sharing..

it depends on your objective and risk profile

talk to your private banker

klavier

Reaction score
it depends on your objective and risk profile

talk to your private banker

Thanks. Sadly the last time I talked to my banker, it led to a wrong decision. I rather take advice from layman who have learned through experience rather than a 'professional'.

Shiny Things

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Aw, guys (and girls), you're making me blush. Glad you like what I do.

Since the question came up in this thread: I actually did work at an investment bank (I was an FX options market-maker for nearly ten years, and a quant for two years before that). I packed it in a couple of years ago and moved to California to work at a software firm. (And I highly recommend doing the same if you want to get out of Singapore; California is fantastic. I'm writing this sitting by the pool in Palm Springs.)

Part of the reason I left the FX options business was so I could broaden my horizons and I've done a lot of that just reading and posting on here. It's a great place to learn about what investments are being sold (the legit ones and the dodgy ones); what people are interested in, finance-wise; and it's a place to hone my writing style as well.

And Klavier - investing for the long term is pretty easy. I run a little consulting biz on the side, giving hedging and investment advice to large investors and corporations who need independent advice, and usually I charge for this sort of advice, but for small investors the solution is dead easy:
* Put your money in a mix of low-cost stock and bond ETFs - for Singaporean investors, that's ES3 and A35, respectively; make the percentages equal to "110 minus your age" in stocks, and the rest in bonds;
* Once a year, at the same time every year, rebalance your money - buy and sell to bring your stocks and bonds back to that "110 minus your age" proportion;
* Go to the pub.

You can ignore all the trendy cr@p out there like commodities, structured deposits, contra trading, forex, robo-trade-bots, blah blah blah, all of it is worse than a simple stocks-bonds mix. Just do this and you'll be ahead of nearly everyone else in the markets.

quirkyhill

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
lol at first i thought this thread was for those who are fans of gold and silver, you know, 'shiny things'... :s13:

yukari_san3

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Shiny can you use your cell phone on the trading floor?

or is it banned for u?!

Shiny Things

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Shiny can you use your cell phone on the trading floor?

or is it banned for u?!

I haven't set foot on a trading floor in a couple of years, so I don't know what the rules are like now, but when I was in the biz it was frowned upon but not explicitly banned. After the FX and Libor rigging scandals (and the idiots who got busted using Facebook to pass information about their fix exposures) I'm pretty sure they're banned in most places now.

sheep06

Reaction score
Aw, guys (and girls), you're making me blush. Glad you like what I do.

Since the question came up in this thread: I actually did work at an investment bank (I was an FX options market-maker for nearly ten years, and a quant for two years before that). I packed it in a couple of years ago and moved to California to work at a software firm. (And I highly recommend doing the same if you want to get out of Singapore; California is fantastic. I'm writing this sitting by the pool in Palm Springs.)

Part of the reason I left the FX options business was so I could broaden my horizons and I've done a lot of that just reading and posting on here. It's a great place to learn about what investments are being sold (the legit ones and the dodgy ones); what people are interested in, finance-wise; and it's a place to hone my writing style as well.

And Klavier - investing for the long term is pretty easy. I run a little consulting biz on the side, giving hedging and investment advice to large investors and corporations who need independent advice, and usually I charge for this sort of advice, but for small investors the solution is dead easy:
* Put your money in a mix of low-cost stock and bond ETFs - for Singaporean investors, that's ES3 and A35, respectively; make the percentages equal to "110 minus your age" in stocks, and the rest in bonds;
* Once a year, at the same time every year, rebalance your money - buy and sell to bring your stocks and bonds back to that "110 minus your age" proportion;
* Go to the pub.

You can ignore all the trendy cr@p out there like commodities, structured deposits, contra trading, forex, robo-trade-bots, blah blah blah, all of it is worse than a simple stocks-bonds mix. Just do this and you'll be ahead of nearly everyone else in the markets.

ES3 currently stands at 3.33. If one wants to take the route of index investing, should he or she time the entry? Like buying when it is below X.XX amount etc. Or just purchase regardless of the price?

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ES3 currently stands at 3.33. If one wants to take the route of index investing, should he or she time the entry? Like buying when it is below X.XX amount etc. Or just purchase regardless of the price?

If you believe you can predict whether the market is going up or down, then of course you will time the entry.
If you believe that you are unable to predict, then timing is not possible, just buy regularly.

archcherub

Reaction score
ears, and a quant for two years before that). I packed it in a couple of years ago and moved to California to work at a software firm. (And I highly recommend doing the same if you want to get out of Singapore; California is fantastic. I'm writing this sitting by the pool in Palm Springs.)

Ah... Any software firm that like to hire Singaporeans?
(Note: no degree in computational science)

Kudos to shiny things for cutting the ******** by most scammers and salesmen and advocating for the small investors.

Any reason why this nick? *amused* just tot that ur nick is a warning to investors not to be lured by all things shiny... Heh heh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.