LIFE DURING AND AFTER NIE.

tay108

Reaction score
With regards to teaching MT, talk to your NIE/NTU admissions counselors. Tell them about your interest and see what they say. My friend was rejected to teach Malay/Math when she signed up. I think because she did not take Malay at A levels.

But you can fit another subject (AS2) in. History goes with English or Geo or Lit or SS if you so wish. Never seen anyone pair humanities and science together before though.

alright ill talk to them hopefully i do get in first. i did Literature in Tamil in H2 for A's though so i might be able to opt for that along w history.
cuz i feel geog and history is too content heavy.. so ill go w languages :) i guess you can't pair sic and humanities prob cuz its a diff stream so students in arts prob can't choose science AS..

nyvrem

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
alright ill talk to them hopefully i do get in first. i did Literature in Tamil in H2 for A's though so i might be able to opt for that along w history.
cuz i feel geog and history is too content heavy.. so ill go w languages :) i guess you can't pair sic and humanities prob cuz its a diff stream so students in arts prob can't choose science AS..

If you can, go for it. But make sure to do all this before you sign the final contract to start your studies. Once you do, it's very hard to switch.

nyvrem

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks :D:D but if i m subpar in my subjects in secondary school, still can apply boh?

I think they will look more at your Poly/A levels then O levels.
I might be wrong. But no harm trying to apply.

Weaboo

Honorary Member
Reaction score
I think they will look more at your Poly/A levels then O levels.
I might be wrong. But no harm trying to apply.

i see.... just asking cause even though my poly results was above average, they had nothing to do with o lvl subs & i hand almost everything i learnt back then to teacher liao :(

nyvrem

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i see.... just asking cause even though my poly results was above average, they had nothing to do with o lvl subs & i hand almost everything i learnt back then to teacher liao :(

Me too mostly - only things I ever took back from secondary school was English (which was very badly taught), and math. Needed it for some courses in Uni.

:s13::s13::s13:

tay108

Reaction score
If you can, go for it. But make sure to do all this before you sign the final contract to start your studies. Once you do, it's very hard to switch.

yeah exactly! heard of my friend's horror story of how she really wanted to be a gp tutor but they offered her english and social studies so she is kinda stuck in sec sch for life :-/

m0nkei

Reaction score
Honours vs Non-Honours

Is there any difference in pay increment for honours and non-honours students?

nyvrem

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is there any difference in pay increment for honours and non-honours students?

From my 4 years of teaching, it's purely performance based.
The pay difference is at point of graduation, if you have honors or non-honors. But after that, it's yearly appraisals.

AceyourMaths

Banned
Reaction score
What if I break my bond?

During my time at NIE, I knew 3 people who broke their bond. If you think about breaking your bond, please think 10 times over. Once you break your bond, you will need to repay back the course fees of the courses you have completed and the salary that has been given to you. It's pro-rated. So if you break your bond during year 1, it's a lesser amount to pay back then say, breaking your bond in year 3.

If you finish your training and decided to break your bond during the first year of working, you will need to pay the full course fees + what ever salary you was given during your training. Again, Pro-rated, so breaking the bond during your first year of work is higher VS breaking your bond that only has 6 months left.

From the way you talk can tell that you only work for 4 years.

Anyway, the above bolded statements seem to contradict one another.

starbugs

Master Member
Reaction score

First bold statement refers to the study phase. Second bold statement refers to the work phase.

shamuslee

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thank you for moulding the future of our Nation.

Teacher with a capital 'T'.

nyvrem

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Thank you for moulding the future of our Nation.

Teacher with a capital 'T'.

You 2 really got nothing better to do than to try and talk smart, come up with sarcastic remarks and find issues ah

:s11::s11::s11:

posted this to give people who jump onto the teaching bandwagon some insights on what they might face. still need to come deal with people like you.

:s22::s22::s22:

Cracked

Reaction score
Hi nyvrem,

Super informative thread!

If you can choose to teach between primary and secondary school level, which would you pick?

I am assuming that the primary level is easier to work with, due to the less taxing curriculum, which means less overall at work, but I may be sprouting ignorant nonsense :s13:

AceyourMaths

Banned
Reaction score
You 2 really got nothing better to do than to try and talk smart, come up with sarcastic remarks and find issues ah

posted this to give people who jump onto the teaching bandwagon some insights on what they might face. still need to come deal with people like you.

I where got sarcastic? I was asking genuine questions which I dunno the answer beforehand.

AceyourMaths

Banned
Reaction score
Hi nyvrem,

If you can choose to teach between primary and secondary school level, which would you pick?

I am assuming that the primary level is easier to work with, due to the less taxing curriculum, which means less overall at work, but I may be sprouting ignorant nonsense :s13:

Primary - a lot of parents will call in to complain, hold you accountable or wanna talk to you regularly to check on progress. Nowadays parents very kiasu. Young children also do the silliest thing.

Secondary - less parents unless you are in elite sec school. More problematic students.

nyvrem

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi nyvrem,

:eek::eek::eek:

don't think that ! primary level also got alot of sai kang to do. and you'd be surprised but secondary level also got alot of parents that act like primary school parents. every other week email/call you to ask for update on their child.

my suggestion is for you to go intern at both primary and secondary schools to see what suits your taste. go to a neighborhood school. you'll see alot of 'problem' kids come from broken families ; they really need alot of help and support from you (the teacher) and counselors/social workers. see if you are cut out for it. both pri and sec schools have these 'problem' kids.

:(:(:(

a&w_rootbeerz

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Hi nyvrem,

I aspire to be a teacher one day.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.