Perth (Lots of advice & help needed please!)

dede1217

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any idea how much the taxi would cost to get from Perth International Airport at 11pm at night to Hay Street?

My mum and I will be in Perth with my uncle and aunt from Feb 20th (11pm) 2015 till 24 Feb 2015 (8am).

I think all the airport buses would have stopped service runs for the day by the time we arrive so really appreciate some help here.

Also i think our trip is kinda short so if we do not intend to rent a car is there anywhere nearby to Hay Street that we can explore?

I am female and 33 years old but my uncle,aunt and mum are in their 60's.

Thank You very much in advance.

I took from sydney airport to chinatown area abt 25min is abt 35aud ...
At perth airport, we took bus 15aud to perth ambassador. We landed abt 10pm ... so we managed to get the last bus which stops at our hotel entrance. There are few hotels that the bus stops.

Nearby my hotel , there is pan pacific, goodearth ...

dede1217

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
kevin is right. Around aud50 for taxi.
Around Hay Street, try the Murray and Hay Street malls for some window shopping. Visit King's Park. You can actually walk from Hay Street but I guess the steep steps leading to the park would be difficult for your elders. Still, try to visit the park as it is IMO the best attraction within Greater Perth area.
You can also go over to visit Fremantle area for perhaps a day.

We took free CBD bus to one of the stops, then walked over to kings park. we walked abt 10 min to reach there. Nice big park to relax and have a stroll ...

leonaheidern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
$50-38=$12....
Is that gonna be a deal breaker?
Surely not, right?

probably not but i have to explain to my mum and aunt and uncle about the price as its a business trip for my aunt and uncle and my mum and me are accompanying them cause we wanna get away from the cny.

maybe they need to ask for receipt who knows.

kevin301

Reaction score
probably not but i have to explain to my mum and aunt and uncle about the price as its a business trip for my aunt and uncle and my mum and me are accompanying them cause we wanna get away from the cny.

maybe they need to ask for receipt who knows.

hmmm I see.
If it's a business trip, and there is a fair amount of traveling about, it may be worthwhile to just rent a car from the airport upon arrival, and return it when you depart. Relatively hassle-free.
Certainly beats catching the cab many times. The only issue would be parking within the CBD, which can be quite pricey.

papaya00

Reaction score
hmmm I see.
If it's a business trip, and there is a fair amount of traveling about, it may be worthwhile to just rent a car from the airport upon arrival, and return it when you depart. Relatively hassle-free.
Certainly beats catching the cab many times. The only issue would be parking within the CBD, which can be quite pricey.

Speaking about parking at cbd, anyone have recommendation where to park at cbd?

Arcanell

Reaction score
hotel's car park safest place to park. There are meter parking along the streets. When I was in novotel langley, the parking along the streets are from 8am to 6pm (mon - sat). Sunday free.

HuGe70

Reaction score
hmmm I see.

If rent from Airport, rent from Hertz. Usually the cheapest among those at the airport. Lesson learnt, buy the fuel. You can return empty. Their pump price is cheaper than outside.

HuGe70

Reaction score
Airport doesn't close at night. I believe the buses no longer run at those hours. Where's your accommodation at? If you have already booked a hotel, might as well take a cab. Renting a car is another viable option.

The car rental agencies closes after midnight.

swatchie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If rent from Airport, rent from Hertz. Usually the cheapest among those at the airport. Lesson learnt, buy the fuel. You can return empty. Their pump price is cheaper than outside.

Not really. I rented from Hertz in Melbourne and the fuel surcharge was more expensive than the stations.

leonaheidern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hmmm I see.

well there is meter parking on hay street but seems crowded so better not to rent car.

besides the return trip we can take the bus as our flight is 8am and buses start running at 5am

eggzzorcist

Reaction score
Comments on Itinerary

Day 1
Busselton Jetty
Margaret River

Day 2
Greens Pool, Elephant Cove
Albany Wind Farm
Little Beach, Two Peoples' Bay Nature Reserve

Day 3
Stirling Ranges (Planning to drive past this region known for wildflowers + mountains and hills.
After that, head back to Perth (Google tells me it's going to take over 5 hours. It seems like this is the fastest way back to Perth from Albany as well. For those who have been to Albany, did you guys head back via this route as well?)

Day 4
Fremantle
Swan Valley

Day 5
Lancelin Sand Dunes
Thirsty Point Lookout (Cervantes)
Pinnacles

Day 6
Penguin Island
Blue Boat Shed
Hay Street
Swan River

Day 7
Caversham Wildlife Park
Cottesloe Beach
(Flying back on Day 8 in the morning)

Went Perth last October. My itinerary as follows :-

Day 1

Busselton Jetty (4 hours from PER airport; with 2 pit stops)
MR

Day 2
Cape Leeuwin
Lake cave

Day 3
Sunflower animal farm (along MR)

Day 4-7
Stayed at Fremantle

Kings park
Fremantle Prison
Fremantle Market
Rockingham
A few beaches here and there along the way

I went for the dolphin, penguin and sea lion option. Spotted a few dolphins but no sea lions. Lots of pelicans though ;p I would skip the theme park/zoo/aquarium.

Booked my accommodations through airBnB and stayz.au.

papaya00

Reaction score
Went Perth last October. My itinerary as follows :-

Day 1

Busselton Jetty (4 hours from PER airport; with 2 pit stops)
MR

Day 2
Cape Leeuwin
Lake cave

Day 3
Sunflower animal farm (along MR)

Day 4-7
Stayed at Fremantle

Kings park
Fremantle Prison
Fremantle Market
Rockingham
A few beaches here and there along the way

I went for the dolphin, penguin and sea lion option. Spotted a few dolphins but no sea lions. Lots of pelicans though ;p I would skip the theme park/zoo/aquarium.

Booked my accommodations through airBnB and stayz.au.

The cave you went on day 2 is at MR cave road? You didnt go swan valley?

eggzzorcist

Reaction score
The cave you went on day 2 is at MR cave road? You didnt go swan valley?

oops, sorry, I went to jewel cave after a guide at the Cape Leeuwin lighthouse mentioned it's prettier. Yup, along caves road in MR. For day 2, we drove down to Augusta/cape Leeuwin and then back up to MR. I didn't have Swan Valley as I've already planned 2 days in MR. But if you have less time on your hands, Swan Valley should be good enough...

papaya00

Reaction score
oops, sorry, I went to jewel cave after a guide at the Cape Leeuwin lighthouse mentioned it's prettier. Yup, along caves road in MR. For day 2, we drove down to Augusta/cape Leeuwin and then back up to MR. I didn't have Swan Valley as I've already planned 2 days in MR. But if you have less time on your hands, Swan Valley should be good enough...

erm I only have around 2h-2.5hours including travelling time
from MR morries anytime cafe to a destination. Between the lighthouse and jewel cave,
which do you think is more worth a visit? thank.

eggzzorcist

Reaction score
erm I only have around 2h-2.5hours including travelling time
from MR morries anytime cafe to a destination. Between the lighthouse and jewel cave,
which do you think is more worth a visit? thank.

Ah, I was at Morries anytime on my 1st day at MR too. Anyway, according to googlemap, both will take half hour or so to reach. I will pick the lighthouse over the cave. If oceans are more of your thing, then go for the lighthouse.

papaya00

Reaction score
Ah, I was at Morries anytime on my 1st day at MR too. Anyway, according to googlemap, both will take half hour or so to reach. I will pick the lighthouse over the cave. If oceans are more of your thing, then go for the lighthouse.

The cafe is quite famous? Hows the food there?
nice? How long you took to tour at jewel cave?

eggzzorcist

Reaction score
The cafe is quite famous? Hows the food there?
nice? How long you took to tour at jewel cave?

I didn't do any research on where to eat. Just happened to drive by and wanted to have dinner there. Only had tapas and coffee there. Nothing to shout about. Jewel cave tour iirc should be an 1hr/1.5hr.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.