Crowfall - Throne War - (GoT Meets EvE Online)

Pyre

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
16,935 backers
$1,766,144 pledged of $800,000 goal
0 seconds to go
Funded!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crowfall/crowfall-throne-war-pc-mmo

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crowfa...rone-war-pc-mmo

Crowfall is a new Massively Multiplayer Online Game brought to you by Gordon Walton (Executive Producer of Ultima Online,The Sims Online, Star Wars: Galaxies and Star Wars: the Old Republic) and J. Todd Coleman (Creative Director of Shadowbane, Wizard101 and Pirate101).

A seamless blend of an MMO with a large-scale Strategy game!

Players control the universe, to shape as they see fit.* We call it a Throne War Simulator, and it’s different in three fundamental ways:

Eternal Heroes, Dying Worlds.

Characters are persistent, but the Campaign Worlds are not. Players are Immortal Champions, traveling between realms to fight in an eternal War of the Gods.

Everything Changes and That Changes Everything.

The Worlds are made of voxels (like Minecraft, only much less blocky) – which means the entire World is destructible.* We are harnessing VoxelFarm technology to generate an endless succession of unique and interesting Campaign Worlds for you to mine, shape, conquer and destroy.*

Allies. Enemies. Empires. Betrayal. Risk. Conquest.

There are two types of Worlds in the Crowfall universe: the Campaign Worlds, which produce materials (stone, iron and wood) and the Eternal Kingdoms, which are barren of resources -- but last forever.

If each Campaign is like a soccer match, the Eternal Kingdoms encompass the entire season!* Unlike the Campaigns, these Worlds are permanent -- and they are completely managed and owned by the players.

Since each Campaign World is unique (and time-limited) we can change the rules of the game from one to the next!

What rules?* Things like…

Which races can participate in this Campaign?
What is this Campaign’s duration or end-condition?
How are the teams broken up? Is this a War of the Gods? Guild-versus-Guild? Free-for-All?
What resources can be scavenged? How abundant are they? How harsh is the game of survival?
What are the rules for death and respawning? Do items decay on death?* Can I loot the corpses of other players?

The Worlds of Crowfall are divided up into discrete zones, and each one circles around the Hunger.* The closer a World is to the center, the greater the risk* -- and the higher the reward!

Each Campaign will be different. You (and your guild) can decide which style is right for you.* If you change your mind, you can always try a different Campaign... with a fresh start, every time.

Last edited:

Pyre

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wow. I have no words.

Well, OK. Maybe a few words.

Our Kickstarter began this morning at 7am CST, and we announced it (with a press release, and a post here) an hour later. In just 10 hours, we are already 50% of the way to our goal. That's $400,000. For those of you keeping track at home.

I'm not sure how to express what we are feeling right now. Stunned? Giddy? Flattered? Floored by your vote of confidence?

All of that. More. We are so thankful to each and every one of you. You have come out of the gate with a strong message: YES, we believe in your vision. YES, we want to be a part of this. YES, we will support you.

From all of us at ArtCraft, from me and Gordon personally: Thank you. Thank you for believing in us. Thank you for giving us a chance to build this game for you.

50% down, 50% to go.

We can do this, together. Call the banners. Spread the word.

It's About Time.

Todd
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crowfall/crowfall-throne-war-pc-mmo/posts/1146076

as of this post:

5,097 backers
$462,950 pledged of $800,000 goal
29 days to go

Pyre

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ad11MS2.png

Fully funded in 3 days. With 26 more days to go. This is going to be an awesome game!

Wow.

I'm writing this just before dawn on Friday, Wed 27th. We are now at the end of day 3 of our kickstarter -- less than 72 hours since we started.

...and you guys just funded us!

$800,000. That's unbelievable.

This is a huge vote of confidence for our vision, and our Company. We are inspired by your passion and honored by the faith that you have placed in us. We won't let you down.

We set out to find an audience to support us in creating something different, something innovative... and now we have, we are going to do exactly that. Thank you for making this happen.

Allies, Enemies, Empires, Betrayal, Risk, Conquest!

We're doing this, together. We're going to make Crowfall a reality.

From all of us at ArtCraft: thank you, sincerely.

Todd, Gordon and the ArtCraft Team

ps. don't stop pushing! we've added our first two stretch goals to page, let's keep this momentum going -- each additional pledge makes the game that much better!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crowfall/crowfall-throne-war-pc-mmo/posts/1148473

Pyre

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
FcTATTP.png

Still many days to go! This game is going to be amazing.

11,535 backers
$1,097,145 pledged of $800,000 goal
15 days to go

Pyre

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
13,391 backers
$1,281,157 pledged of $800,000 goal
5 days to go

A short example of how your Eternal Kingdom land parcels can be configured in Crowfall. Build something unique!

from: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crowfall/crowfall-throne-war-pc-mmo/posts/1172383
In game terms, does a larger Kingdom (with more parcels) give me an advantage?

Yes, and no.

Larger maps have more cells. More cells allows you to place more parcels. More parcels means more buildings. More buildings allow for more tenants, higher online player population caps (i.e. how many players can be on this world at any time) and better visibility when other players are browsing the Kingdom list for new markets (or Kingdoms).

All of this also means more commerce, which can generate more tax revenue.

Note, however, that these are indirect benefits – meaning social and economic benefits that you derive from other players.

However, since every Campaign World will have import rules (that determine what can be brought into the World), having a larger, more developed Kingdom will not directly impact the game balance within the Campaigns.

How do I collaborate with other people (like my guildmates) on a Kingdom?

The Monarch can select sub-sections of your world map (in cells) and grant that area to another player. This selection of cells is called a “Province”.

Kb6u5cK.jpg

Any player who has been granted a province is considered a “noble” on that world. Nobles can drop, rearrange and remove Parcels within that Province.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crowfall/crowfall-throne-war-pc-mmo/posts/1171123
13,000 Backers! You know that what means? 1 month of VIP for all pledge levels!

In Today's update, we show off our progress with the male knight animation set and Billy runs through another time-lapse creation of the Guinecean Duelist in Vector.

JhkSrWU.png

Pyre

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Wow! Nothing beats the smell of victory in the morning!

You guys already know that I'm not really a PR person. So, I hope you will excuse me for thanking you in the only way that I know how.

HOLY CRAP, YOU GUYS!!!

CROWFALL MADE ALMOST $1,800,000 IN PLEDGES!

I can't believe it. Between Kickstarter and our Paypal collection directly on crowfall.com, we raised just $1,783,796. from over 17,000 backers!

I feel dizzy. I need coffee. or maybe a nap.

That staggering last-minute surge means that, in the last 24 hours...

- We hit $1.5 million, unlocking the Infected rules and the Minotaur archetype (was that really yesterday morning?!)

- We unlocked the 15,500 backer All Father relic update,

- We passed $1.6 million, allowing us to build the Tournament system,

- We achieved the 17,000 backer goal, unlocking the Centaur relic, and

- We passed the $1.7 million mark, achieving the Combat Pets stretch goal!

Amazing... Unbelievable.

So, what happens next?

Now we get to work! We have a game to build. We refine the vision. We engage with you on the forums. We discuss our ideas (and mistakes) openly. We find the right solutions, together.

And we continue to seek out our kind. Crowfall isn't a game for everyone. But there are still players out there -- brave, lost, and arguably crazy -- who will share this vision. Who, like us, will HAVE to see it come to life. We need to find them, and bring them home.

We won't let you down. We're going to show the world a new kind of online experience.

Thank you for making CROWFALL a reality.

We'll see you in the game!

Todd, Gordon, and the team at ArtCraft Entertainment
Creators of Crowfall www.crowfall.com

P.S.. For those of you who found us late -- or for friends that couldn't pledge through Paypal for some reason, we're now accepting pledges on our own website at www.crowfall.com . The bundles aren't the same, but the deals are still great and you still have a chance to jump into this project early!
ep2Ezte.jpg

Pyre

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dear Crowfall Supporter:

Our recent Kickstarter campaign for Crowfall has ended and it was amazingly successful.

Your attention to and support for Crowfall was critical to this success, and we thank you for it! We know that not every supporter was able or willing to pledge during the campaign. We appreciate you regardless.

This site gives a good overview of the Crowfall campaign: http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/crowfall/crowfall-throne-war-pc-mmo/#chart-daily. Here are some highlights:
Our initial pledge goal of $800,000 was achieved in less than 72 hours ($800,000)
We attained 16,936 backers and raised $1,766,204
We are the 15th largest video game Kickstarter campaign of all time, and the largest in the last 12 months
We also are the 46th largest Kickstarter campaign of any kind (We’re excited to break the top 50!)
With PayPal payments on our website, our totals rose to 17,000+ backers contributing $1,783,796.These results would have been impossible without your help. We now have the ability to bring this game vision fully to life and it’s all because of you. If you want to learn more about Crowfall and about our ongoing development of the game, visit http://crowfall.com

Again, thank you so much!
J. Todd Coleman and Gordon Walton
ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.

http://crowfall.com/

Pyre

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
6Yxbh39.jpg

(No, this doesn't mean that the female Rangers automatically get pet wolves! It's just a picture, folks!)

Lot of "under the surface" stuff happening at ACE this week!

The Guinecean Slayer was well-received on Tuesday -- a little TOO well-received for an April Fool's Day joke, actually. He turned out a lot more popular than we expected! (and who knows, perhaps he'll become a future stretch goal?)

Our design team did a full pass on the documentation that details how land ownership (and the fealty trees) work in the Eternal Kingdom, and started to detail out the UI for building and parcel placement. We have to tackle this first, because the parcel system is part of the foundation that will be used for generating unique Campaign Maps, too!

Our tech team spent the week making the changes to the combat system -- revisiting the base concepts of movement and targeting, as we discussed last week on the Crowns & Crows and Gold & Glory podcast.

On the art side, we're creating swappable equipment for the Knight, concepting Hunger-infected versions of our (also unlocked!) Mounts and catching up on some archetype and building concept art.

In fact, another of the archetype concepts is ready for you now: the female Ranger! As an added bonus to this one, we've given her a wolf pet -- since we achieved that stretch goal when we crossed the $1.7m line in Kickstarter!
http://crowfall.com/#/news/female-ranger-revealed

Pyre

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The Minotaur archetype was unlocked when Kickstarter backers smashed the $1.5M stretch goal. In today's update, we're giving you a full view of this magnificent creature, his stats and backstory.

And speaking of magnificent creatures, we're also taking you behind the scenes to peek over the shoulder of character artist Eric Hart as uses ZBrush to digitally 'sculpt' the female Confessor avatar.
http://crowfall.com/#/news/no-bull-heres-the-myrmidon

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.