Buying from overseas - shipping, info and tips

Peach Tea

Suspended
Reaction score
will 120hz TV work in Singapore with transformer?
No luck searching for 120hz TV so far here.

Anyone?

petetherock

Reaction score
They use a NTSC system and mostly 110v. No DVB compatibility either..
What can you do with it?
So you can use it as a monitor with a transformer.
See the earlier posts for the issues.

Wongpk

Master Member
Reaction score
When buying TV from overseas , be sure to read through the terms and conditions b4 buying and do a video recording B4 opening xiaomi TV boxes so that you can cover your ownself and claim refunds if there is any physical damages to the TV during shipping . (not due to negligence on your part.)

gadenp

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have alway been using my Citibank reward master card to purchase online from USA. But recently heard about Prepaid Mastercards in USA.

Any service that we can use to:
1. Buy USA Dollars at a REALLY good/better rate
2. Put that USA Dollars into a Prepaid Mastercard
3. Use that USA Prepaid Mastercard to order things to ship back.

I really trying to see if there is something better then that stupid 2.5% fee + mastercard's really bad exchange rates.

flexicon

Reaction score
Anyone used reshipper /package forwarder to ship Monitors to SG from USA?
Have any to recommend?

There are a few forwarders who do that - VPost, Borderlinx, Comgateway. I have tried all of them but for small items only measuring 4-5 kgs. So far comgateway provided the cheapest for my items.

I suggest you checking their respective websites first or ask for quotation for the items you plan to buy since I cannot personally tell which will be best for your monitors. Hope you get the best deal!

vinccysoh

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi,

May I check if anyone of you purchased a TV from bhphoto before? How was the experience? After looking around, price seem pretty attractive and direct shipping cost seem reasonable.

pjs

Reaction score
Hi,

May I check if anyone of you purchased a TV from bhphoto before? How was the experience? After looking around, price seem pretty attractive and direct shipping cost seem reasonable.

Sony 65XBR900E Subtotal:$1,498.00
Shipping starting from$291.00
Sales Tax$0.00
You Pay$1,789.00.
Thats about S$2700 inclusive of GST.>>> $2000 less than sg price!!!
Worth importing?
However their tuner is not compatible with our system. Need to buy DVBT-2 tuner box.

Last edited:

Fatfool

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Okay, got a question as well. So I don't think shipping in sets from the US is going to be a problem.

I'm looking at this Sony A1

http://www.sony.com.sg/electronics/televisions/a1-series

I use a HTPC with a TV tuner so that's covered as I can run the Television through my DVB-T2 card (It's already working with my current TV over HDMI now). I don't think the processing of any TV processor can beat a PC right?

But do the integrated apps work? Like netflix (Netflix Singapore account)?
Also, are there TV repair shops here which can work on it in the event of a failure?

SAMSJWSAM

Reaction score
Buying Appliances from CHINA

Dear Everyone,

I wish to import an appliance from Alibaba however the appliance uses a voltage of 380V. I have a power socket with 440V and I know I need to do something about the voltahe on the appliance otherwise the motor might burn.

Anyone has a solution to this? Or you know anyone who provide service to convert the voltage?

5star_pundit

Banned
Reaction score
Dear Everyone,

I wish to import an appliance from Alibaba however the appliance uses a voltage of 380V. I have a power socket with 440V and I know I need to do something about the voltahe on the appliance otherwise the motor might burn.

Anyone has a solution to this? Or you know anyone who provide service to convert the voltage?

get a step-up transformer but it can be quite bulky

petetherock

Reaction score
Definitely
Forget about comparing with US prices and importing is fraught with issues. Caveat emptor.

Last edited:

dontscoldme

Reaction score
Definitely
Forget about comparing with US prices and importing is fraught with issues. Caveat emptor.

hmm not sure if i am missing things out but i simplistically thought that
1x voltage converter/transformer to step up from 110-120V to 220-240V
1x setup box like miotv etc. to bypass dvbt2 issue etc.
1x shipping/freight provider (like vpost) and insurance (vcare)
is enough for me to purchase a TV from amazon and get it to work in SG.

i will forgo the associated warranty for the cheaper pricing (which is about 2k)

appreciate your guidance if i am missing some critical piece of information

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dear Everyone,

380V (440V)? You are using 3 phase power input?
If 3 phase input. Singapore should be 415V. Usually 380V equipment will have voltage range covers to 415V too.

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi. looking to get a tv from amazon US. samsung q9fn.
wondering if this thread discussion on voltage and dvbt2 still relevant in 2018?

USA Q9F dont even have DVBT2 so comparison is out of question.
Many like to compared price with oversea. One always has to consider specification, warranty coverage and after sales services.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.