[Maylyn's Review] ASUS RT-AC3200 Router

trichard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have this dlink AC 3200 router from my starhub upgrade but it is boxed up and stored away...
Why keep ?.......... sell it away lah ...

Edited .... can see my phone have move from a 5Ghz to a 2.4Ghz in log file.... on the phone it is transparent..... SC works....:D

Last edited:

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Why keep ?.......... sell it away lah ...

Edited .... can see my phone have move from a 5Ghz to a 2.4Ghz in log file.... on the phone it is transparent..... SC works....:D

So happening ah? :s13: time to hoot more of the limited edition before it's totally out :D

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

jeffong

Reaction score
Have been planning to extend my wireless network in the house after relocating my FTP and AC68U to my utility room and was looking at the Ubiquiti UniFi-AC unit to set up as an AP. Now wondering if I should go with the AC3200 instead since pricing for both is around the same. Any advice?

xenor

Reaction score
I encounter frequent music stop issue using AirPlay with SC turn ON on latest firmware. No problem with standard 3 SSID. Anybody has similar experience and how to resolve if I want to use SC?

Gondon72

Master Member
Reaction score
Regarding the warranty we need to register online? or just based on receipt next time?

trichard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Regarding the warranty we need to register online? or just based on receipt next time?
Brother .... don't worry about warranty lah ......

Asus know it launch March 2015 ... die die will give you warranty till Jan/Feb 2018.

1 yr later from now it will worth maybe $150-$200 ... till then change new one liao... AC8888 maybe....:D

Gondon72

Master Member
Reaction score
Brother .... don't worry about warranty lah ......

Asus know it launch March 2015 ... die die will give you warranty till Jan/Feb 2018.

1 yr later from now it will worth maybe $150-$200 ... till then change new one liao... AC8888 maybe....:D

wah..keeps on changing needs $$$...:s22:

trichard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wah..keeps on changing needs $$$...:s22:
Not much lah .......... things wil get cheaper....

By the way those who wanted to adjust SC .... keep other value at defult but adjust the BW utliisation under "Interface Select and Qualify Procedures"

Adjust both 5Ghz band percentage to balance between both. Remove 2.4Ghz and set that to none so that once phone log on to 5Ghz it will not drop to 2.4Ghz .

Test out the situation and play around ....

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

Not much lah .......... things wil get cheaper....

By the way those who wanted to adjust SC .... keep other value at defult but adjust the BW utliisation under "Interface Select and Qualify Procedures"

Adjust both 5Ghz band percentage to balance between both. Remove 2.4Ghz and set that to none so that once phone log on to 5Ghz it will not drop to 2.4Ghz .

Test out the situation and play around ....

Correct me if I'm wrong. 5GHz is for better penetration whilst 2.4GHz is for better distance.

If I've a device which operates on dual band (i.e. 2.4 and 5GHz) then moving nearer the router would definitely get a stronger signal from the 5GHz. If I move further away (especially with walls in-between) then the device should automatically connect using 2.4GHz through SC for maintaining a better signal, no?

If you removed the 2.4GHz then moving further away would the 5GHz gives a better signal as compared if it's connected using 2.4GHz? Also, what if you have devices which operate on 2.4GHz besides those operating on dual bands?

Last edited:

trichard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong. 5GHz is for better penetration whilst 2.4GHz is for better distance.

If I've a device which operates on dual band (i.e. 2.4 and 5GHz) then moving nearer the router would definitely get a stronger signal from the 5GHz. If I move further away (especially with walls in-between) then the device should automatically connect using 2.4GHz through SC for maintaining a better signal, no?

If you removed the 2.4GHz then moving further away would the 5GHz gives a better signal as compared if it's connected using 2.4GHz? Also, what if you have devices which operate on 2.4GHz besides those operating on dual bands?

Good you understand the logic what I want to do and to add on my intentions

Mine is a 4room flat so 5ghz coverage is good in all room .. Some corners does show 2.4g stronger but I still want to stay on 5ghz hence I prefer not to drop into 2.4g

Last edited:

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score

It's the opposite ;) 2.4GHz has better radio penetration and longer range over 5GHz. 5GHz is for higher throughput.

Wireless computer network equipment typically uses radio signals in either a 2.4 GHz range or a 5 GHz range.

The GHz range of a wireless radio is only partially related to the speed of a wireless network. For example, 802.11a wireless operates at 5GHz and 802.11g at 2.4GHz, but both support the same maximum data rate of 54 Mbps. However, newer 802.11n and 802.11ac routers have the capability of simultaneous dual-band operation on both 5GHz and 2.4GHz ranges, allowing clients to connect on different bands for more flexibility and less interference. 802.11ac specifically expands on that, running entirely in the 5GHz band.

Advantages of 5GHz:
The 5GHz band is less likely to be congested. The 2.4GHz frequency range is much more prone to interference, as it is commonly used by other wireless networks in the area, as well as cordless phones, garage door openers and other home appliances and consumer products. The 5GHz band can also offer much higher throughput (using the right technology) with the same channel width. It has 23 non-overlapping channels vs. only 3 in the 2.4 GHz band. 802.11ac in the 5GHz band implements many newer technologies, such as, MU-MIMO, beamforming, etc.

Disadvantages of 5GHz:
In general, the higher the frequency of a wireless signal, the shorter its range. Thus, 2.4GHz networks cover a substantially larger range than 5GHz wireless networks. In particular, the higher frequency wireless signals of 5GHz networks do not penetrate solid objects nearly as well as 2.4GHz signals, limiting their reach inside buildings with solid walls and floors. Recent 802.11ac devices, however, are able to mitigate some of this disadvantage by using beamforming.

The Bottom Line:
5GHz and 2.4GHz are simply different frequencies, each with its advantages and disadvantages. To get the best of both worlds, some recent routers have the capability for dual-band operation in both ranges simultaneously. 5GHz offers higher throughput at a shorter distance, while 2.4GHz offers increased coverage and higher solid object penetration. Beamforming and other newer technologies allow 802.11ac to achieve cleaner signals with 5GHz in many situations where the 2.4GHz spectrum is congested. The migration to wider adoption of 5GHz will probably continue with the shift to the higher throughput 802.11ac.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.