[Maylyn's Review] ASUS RT-AC3200 Router

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Good you understand the logic what I want to do and to add on my intentions

Mine is a 4room flat so 5ghz coverage is good in all room .. Some corners does show 2.4g stronger but I still want to stay on 5ghz hence I prefer not to drop into 2.4g

4room QBay residences condominium ah? ;) Luckily your neighbors isn't mine :D I whack my WiFi on all non overlapping channels until they are zzz? :D ;)

~ OT ~

5GHz awesomeness

+ some new ASUS networking announcements coming soon :D

Last edited:

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It's the opposite ;) 2.4GHz has better radio penetration and longer range over 5GHz. 5GHz is for higher throughput.

Since both are of the same throughtput at 54Mbps if both are at near distance to the router then theoretically both should perform the same. So no advantage of greater throughput from 5GHz here, right? And if both are further from the router at the same distance then 2.4GHz reigns, right? That is both are without walls in-between.

And if there are walls in-between then near or far would imply 2.4GHz is still better than 5GHz, right again?

Last edited:

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
4room QBay residences condominium ah? ;) Luckily your neighbors isn't mine :D I whack my WiFi on all non overlapping channels until they are zzz? :D ;)

~ OT ~

5GHz awesomeness

+ some new ASUS networking announcements coming soon :D

why are their routers looking more and more like an alien spaceship? as though they can fly.

trichard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I encounter frequent music stop issue using AirPlay with SC turn ON on latest firmware. No problem with standard 3 SSID. Anybody has similar experience and how to resolve if I want to use SC?
Try this setting .....

First Load the Default , the adjust the BW percentage and apply , reboot .

W0MHTxz.png

xtwis7

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I just flashed my firmware to merlin's. Previously on stock firmware, WiFi did disconnect once in a while Skyping. I disabled Smart Connect but it will actually still show just 1 SSID, wondering if there's any problems using this way.

arsene

Reaction score
I just flashed my firmware to merlin's. Previously on stock firmware, WiFi did disconnect once in a while Skyping. I disabled Smart Connect but it will actually still show just 1 SSID, wondering if there's any problems using this way.

I thought the latest Asus firmware rectify the smart connect issues already?

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Since both are of the same throughtput at 54Mbps if both are at near distance to the router then theoretically both should perform the same. So no advantage of greater throughput from 5GHz here, right? And if both are further from the router at the same distance then 2.4GHz reigns, right? That is both are without walls in-between.

And if there are walls in-between then near or far would imply 2.4GHz is still better than 5GHz, right again?

Err physics 101 lah :p regarding the penetration and range 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

Since 802.11, there are been so many revisions to beef up higher throughput (a/g/n/ac) spatial (2x2/3x3/4x4/8x8) and bandwidth channel (20MHz/40MHz/80MHz-160MHz) and beamforming etc.

You have to test and trial whether 2.4GHz or 5GHz to utilize both to suit your environment.

Last edited:

MaXifLeX

Reaction score
wondering if there is any limit to total number of devices connected using wires and switches for this router? or is there any limit to total numbers of connected devices (wired & switches & wireless) before it bring down the network?

xenor

Reaction score
Try this setting .....

First Load the Default , the adjust the BW percentage and apply , reboot .]

Tried the setting. AirPlay is much smoother no disconnect issue for 2 hours. Seems to have solve the problem.

xtwis7

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I thought the latest Asus firmware rectify the smart connect issues already?

I've always preferred Merlin firmware as it used to be a lot more stable on my previous ac68. But loading the default smart connect rules, i don't know if the 5g bands are used smartly as some of the bandwidth utilisation is set to zero by default.

trichard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I've always preferred Merlin firmware as it used to be a lot more stable on my previous ac68. But loading the default smart connect rules, i don't know if the 5g bands are used smartly as some of the bandwidth utilisation is set to zero by default.
For rule, I dont think it can be "rectify" like a bug fix.
it very much depends on individual situation.

What asus doing is getting it tune to more and more towards a common enviroment ... but minor adjustment still need self to tune.

My latest setting might suite to me and Xenor .... but it might not work for others..

MaXifLeX

Reaction score
wondering if there is any limit to total number of devices connected using wires and switches for this router? or is there any limit to total numbers of connected devices (wired & switches & wireless) before it bring down the network?

Nobody knows? How about is the packets per second comparable with ubiquiti edge router lite?

kennyg1969

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
quick question....

how to check to see if NAT is turn on?

This is my starhub Homehub 500 on wired to the router

4311247103.png

trichard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
quick question....

how to check to see if NAT is turn on?

This is my starhub Homehub 500 on wired to the router

4311247103.png

Brother. Use the StarHub official speed test first... That will measure you end to end to stahub port end.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.