Working Shoe for Young Exec - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

terras14

Reaction score
i am worried that the bigger size shoe trees will stretch my shoes. the shoes are a perfect fit now for me.....

Actually when you wear your shoe, the movement etc after some time will stretch your shoe as well.leather is also not like a rubberband that can stretch indefintely so dont be unduly worried i guess. If not you size down the shoe treei f your current one u think is deforming the shoe after fitting in.

likehotbutter

Master Member
Reaction score
Scared about what? :s11: The SS article just says you're good as long as you use some form of shoe tree for your better shoes.

Well there are certain things to take note when you get trees.

S,M,X,XL sizes are not as accurate as specifically sized (eg 39, 40,41) trees and may stretch out the shoe/heel cup if you're not careful.

The type with the spring and ball may also rekt your heel etc.

Where to buy quality shoes if I have moderate flat feet. Most lasts I have seen around are quite slim.

Budget?

Better shoes do come in width sizing. General English/American shoes tend to be broader in last shape. Locally got loakes but the range selection brought in not too fantastic. (still no idea on the status of the forum dude trying to bring in :( ). Best is to brannock your feet width sizing + foot outline and send to an online retailer. Can also try Allen Edmond, Alden, Meermin (Spanish).

If dun mind spend moolah can do an MTO with EEA. If I recall correctly, LLYR and EEA rtw only comes in one width sizing.

All in a Day

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You use the orange cloth for buffing? I've got loads of those hanging round the house and have been trying to find a use for them.

Orange cloth, socks, old Tshirts etc as suggested all should work well. An important consideration for me, whichever your choice, would be to avoid using those cloth that get 'furry' or 'shed' fibres, if you know what I mean.

Edit: Dark alley described it with the correct term I was finding: lint-free! I.e. Use lint-free cloth/socks/old Tshirts

Last edited:

dark_aLLeY

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You use the orange cloth for buffing? I've got loads of those hanging round the house and have been trying to find a use for them.

Yup, I used it for buffing. Removing excess cream, and final finishing.

For T-shirt, try to use lint free cotton material. I heard stockings work best. SAF Tee/singlet works fine thus far.

koburn

Reaction score
Yup, I used it for buffing. Removing excess cream, and final finishing.

For T-shirt, try to use lint free cotton material. I heard stockings work best. SAF Tee/singlet works fine thus far.

I use stockings for that final buff and find that it works.

likehotbutter

Master Member
Reaction score
Is OP still around?

I think we need to change the first page. Later if people buy Aldo again from reading the new thread's meagre 3-4 pages....:s22::s22::s22:

If not, then maybe I'll pm mod ask for an edit?

Perhaps a tier rating of various brands (ala reddit) and a brief explanation of cement vs gyw vs blake + links to polishing info and mats

ahboy82

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thks terras n hotbutter

Gt a better idea abt shoe trees with yr help

I will still use the muji shoe trees but will monitor the situation juz in case my shoes get deformed

prtscn

Reaction score
Are there any llyr users here? How's the quality? Looking forward to their new boutique opening this year but no idea if I should go for edetal or llyr

terras14

Reaction score
I bought a pair of the harvey oxford and i find the leather to be very soft and comfortable. It was before they closed for renovation.
But is certaintly not the most high end leather. A link for your reference which is like a learning for me too. Looking forward to llyr new store so i can get a loafer and possibly a monk from them. For the price range, considered value for money if you dont mind gyw in where.
http://parisiangentleman.co.uk/academy/4-things-to-look-for-in-a-good-pair-of-mens-shoes/

ahboy82

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guys i read somewhere tangs gt biggest selection for brush? Brush for polish or brush for cleaning away the dirt? I m looking for the latter

archangle13

Reaction score
Are there any llyr users here? How's the quality? Looking forward to their new boutique opening this year but no idea if I should go for edetal or llyr

Just go for whichever fits and looks good to you. Doubt if there is any discernable difference.

SquallLH

Master Member
Reaction score
i am worried that the bigger size shoe trees will stretch my shoes. the shoes are a perfect fit now for me.....

Actually when you wear your shoe, the movement etc after some time will stretch your shoe as well.leather is also not like a rubberband that can stretch indefintely so dont be unduly worried i guess. If not you size down the shoe treei f your current one u think is deforming the shoe after fitting in.

Well there are certain things to take note when you get trees.

S,M,X,XL sizes are not as accurate as specifically sized (eg 39, 40,41) trees and may stretch out the shoe/heel cup if you're not careful.

The type with the spring and ball may also rekt your heel etc.

Well... Like what likehotbutter said, there're sizes to take note for shoetrees and they might stress the quarters causing wrinkles if the tree's spring is too strong but that's just part and parcel of using un-lasted spring loaded shoe trees.

I've encountered this on some of my shoes (more with trees that do not have the instep rise) but never had a shoe stretched so much by a shoe tree that it went up by half a size... Owners (me included) with shoes that do not have lasted shoe trees should just chill out I suppose, cest la vie :s13:

Now if it's a pair of Vass or EGs then it probably make sense to pony up for the non-spring loaded lasted trees.

Stolen from styleforum :s22:
900x900px-LL-54b3d9f8_2013-05-0419.15.28.jpeg

Last edited:

BallGag

Reaction score
Well... Like what likehotbutter said, there're sizes to take note for shoetrees and they might stress the quarters causing wrinkles if the tree's spring is too strong but that's just part and parcel of using un-lasted spring loaded shoe trees.

I've encountered this on some of my shoes (more with trees that do not have the instep rise) but never had a shoe stretched so much by a shoe tree that it went up by half a size... Owners (me included) with shoes that do not have lasted shoe trees should just chill out I suppose, cest la vie :s13:

Now if it's a pair of Vass or EGs then it probably make sense to pony up for the non-spring loaded lasted trees.

Stolen from styleforum :s22:
900x900px-LL-54b3d9f8_2013-05-0419.15.28.jpeg

Sadly, EG trees aren't lasted.

Sent from Samsung SM-N910G using GAGT

likehotbutter

Master Member
Reaction score

Got a pair of their monks and some EEA

IMO their leather creases (or lack of) much better than EEA.

but last/design style EEA may be more edgy.

stormcontrol

Reaction score
Orange cloth, socks, old Tshirts etc as suggested all should work well. An important consideration for me, whichever your choice, would be to avoid using those cloth that get 'furry' or 'shed' fibres, if you know what I mean.

Edit: Dark alley described it with the correct term I was finding: lint-free! I.e. Use lint-free cloth/socks/old Tshirts

Yup, that's why I asked, cause I remember that those orange cloths didn't feel lint-free to me. Thanks for sharing, will try it out! :s12:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.