Ask a Bicycle Question - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taunee

Reaction score
Noob question here. If i have a Crankset with 2 type wheelring and my Gear shifter can change 3 time mean something is not right or can be fix ?

erwinrommel

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Noob question here. If i have a Crankset with 2 type wheelring and my Gear shifter can change 3 time mean something is not right or can be fix ?

I guess you meant double chainrings in front, with a 3 speed shifter.

kevin301

Reaction score

double chainring and triple front shifter...
Tried before when replaced crankset without replacing shifter.
Shift performance not good, as deraileur is not in correct position. Lots of chain rubbing sounds.

Perhaps certain combos may be OK...

batuchka

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ok i may be getting a free MTB frame with just crank, pedal, seat, handlebar and fork included no drivetrain/wheelset/tyres/brakes - it's an 8 speeder i think? how much would it cost for a low/mid budget restoration in the used market? i read about a 1 x drivetrain but being a noob it confuses me :(
http://oldglorymtb.com/how-to-build-mountain-bike-1x-drivetrain-made-easy-1x9-1x10-1x11/

someone can dumb it down to breakdown what components i need? can i make the bike into a 9/10 speeder?

Last edited:

kevin301

Reaction score
ok i may be getting a free MTB frame with just crank, pedal, seat, handlebar and fork included no drivetrain/wheelset/tyres/brakes - it's an 8 speeder i think? how much would it cost for a low/mid budget restoration in the used market? i read about a 1 x drivetrain but being a noob it confuses me :(
http://oldglorymtb.com/how-to-build-mountain-bike-1x-drivetrain-made-easy-1x9-1x10-1x11/

someone can dumb it down to breakdown what components i need? can i make the bike into a 9/10 speeder?

A few questions:

- is your frame disc-ready?
- what is the over-locknut distance (OLD) at the front and rear dropouts?
- you mentioned it comes with a crank, so presumably it has chainring(s) as well. Any details?

Lemme see... you'll need:
1. Wheelset + tubes + tyres
2. Cassette
3. Rear D
4. Chain
5. Crankset (optional, depending on current one)
6. Front D
7. Shifters
8. Brakeset (e.g. disc, or V-brake, etc)

It could cost you between $500 and (the sky's the limit)...
you would save quite a bit if you DIY, in which case you need some $ for tools.

batuchka

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
A few questions:

- is your frame disc-ready?
- what is the over-locknut distance (OLD) at the front and rear dropouts?
- you mentioned it comes with a crank, so presumably it has chainring(s) as well. Any details?

Lemme see... you'll need:
1. Wheelset + tubes + tyres
2. Cassette
3. Rear D
4. Chain
5. Crankset (optional, depending on current one)
6. Front D
7. Shifters
8. Brakeset (e.g. disc, or V-brake, etc)

It could cost you between $500 and (the sky's the limit)...
you would save quite a bit if you DIY, in which case you need some $ for tools.

#1 Yes frame is disc brake ready
#2 o_O OLD not too sure
#3 Crankset stated as SR XCC-100, 24/34/42 teeth

Wah $500+++ think even i get resell at used market wor :s22:

Citiguy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I now thinking of saving up for a Fulcrum Zero... :s22:

And I still remembered Sadisticnoob asking me to consider Fulcrum 1 some time back. And it turned out that many of my fellow cyclist told me the same thing - don't upgrade half way, go all the way. Upgrade half way, lose more.

Last edited:

kevin301

Reaction score
#1 Yes frame is disc brake ready
#2 o_O OLD not too sure
#3 Crankset stated as SR XCC-100, 24/34/42 teeth

Wah $500+++ think even i get resell at used market wor :s22:

You might get it cheaper if you camp on sites such as togoparts and wait till the right item comes along, or you have an "itchy-backside" friend who always likes to upgrade his/her stuff and can give or sell you the old parts for very low price :)

Sadisticnoob

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I now thinking of saving up for a Fulcrum Zero... :s22:

And I still remembered Sadisticnoob asking me to consider Fulcrum 1 some time back. And it turned out that many of my fellow cyclist told me the same thing - don't upgrade half way, go all the way. Upgrade half way, lose more.
Actually I have a r zero that I can let go for shimano 10 speed just need to service the front hub

Let me know your budget and maybe we can work something out

Sent from Asus ASUS_T00P using GAGT

Citiguy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually I have a r zero that I can let go for shimano 10 speed just need to service the front hub

Let me know your budget and maybe we can work something out

Ah! However, I am using a 11 speed drive-train.

My original budget was only $500 (for a Fulcrum 3/Campy Zonda class). But after all the opinions that if I were to upgrade, go all the way, looks like I will have to look at Fulcrum Zero's price - which is about $1,100 (from Wiggle).

Sadisticnoob

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Need at least
Wheelset with tires around 150
or so

Brakes 30~100 depending on type

Groupset another 100

Minimally 300n

batuchka

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You might get it cheaper if you camp on sites such as togoparts and wait till the right item comes along, or you have an "itchy-backside" friend who always likes to upgrade his/her stuff and can give or sell you the old parts for very low price :)

Hmm ok perhaps can find space at home to place the frame :s13:

Need at least
Wheelset with tires around 150
or so

Brakes 30~100 depending on type

Groupset another 100

Minimally 300n

Thanks for evaluation - appreciate it ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.