Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 slates official thread...

daniel_83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tech-news-mark-your-calendars-official-launch-samsung-galaxy-tab-s2

Retail prices for the 9.7-inch will be at S$698 and S$798 for the Wi-Fi and 4G+ versions respectively.
The smaller 8.0-inch will be going for S$598 and S$698 (again, Wi-Fi and 4G+ versions, respectively).

They can be found at major consumer electronics stores, authorized retailers and Samsung Experience Stores.

Availability starts from 7 August 2015 in Black, while the Gold will be coming on an undisclosed day of the same month.

MoneyFace =p

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tech-news-mark-your-calendars-official-launch-samsung-galaxy-tab-s2

Retail prices for the 9.7-inch will be at S$698 and S$798 for the Wi-Fi and 4G+ versions respectively.
The smaller 8.0-inch will be going for S$598 and S$698 (again, Wi-Fi and 4G+ versions, respectively).

They can be found at major consumer electronics stores, authorized retailers and Samsung Experience Stores.

Availability starts from 7 August 2015 in Black, while the Gold will be coming on an undisclosed day of the same month.
Expected standard pricing same with original Tab S 8.4 and Tab Pro 8.4 when they launched last year... :s22:

Last edited:

PC-User

Master Member
Reaction score
Read something on AnandTech that makes sense...

"... On the display side, both sizes of the Tab S2 sport a 2048x1536 SAMOLED display. This is a significant change for Samsung, who has traditionally shipped 16:10 tablets. I've already noted several times in previous tablet reviews that 16:10 is an aspect ratio that is good for watching videos and really nothing else, and is too extreme to allow the interface to naturally work in both portrait and landscape without any extreme changes to how the UI is fit onto the display. Google launched the 4:3 Nexus 9 not long ago, with ASUS recently following with their Zenpad S, and Samsung launching their own Galaxy Tab A tablets. It seems that after five years of 16:10 tablets the Android manufacturers have realized that it just isn't comfortable or practical, and are finally moving to more proportionally balanced displays for future tablets..."

Full article: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9452/samsung-announces-the-galaxy-tab-s2

Come to think of it now, I realize that the time I use my tablet for web browsing + games and others is actually more than for movies in fact. Hmmm...

tspurs

Reaction score
Read something on AnandTech that makes sense...

"... On the display side, both sizes of the Tab S2 sport a 2048x1536 SAMOLED display. This is a significant change for Samsung, who has traditionally shipped 16:10 tablets. I've already noted several times in previous tablet reviews that 16:10 is an aspect ratio that is good for watching videos and really nothing else, and is too extreme to allow the interface to naturally work in both portrait and landscape without any extreme changes to how the UI is fit onto the display. Google launched the 4:3 Nexus 9 not long ago, with ASUS recently following with their Zenpad S, and Samsung launching their own Galaxy Tab A tablets. It seems that after five years of 16:10 tablets the Android manufacturers have realized that it just isn't comfortable or practical, and are finally moving to more proportionally balanced displays for future tablets..."

Full article: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9452/samsung-announces-the-galaxy-tab-s2

Come to think of it now, I realize that the time I use my tablet for web browsing + games and others is actually more than for movies in fact. Hmmm...

Yes, but ...

4x3 makes an 8-inch tablet too wide to hold securely in one hand for many people.

With a 10-inch tablet, there is plenty of space anyway even in portrait, so the gains from using 4x3 (e.g. reading) are small.

For those that use two apps side by side, 4x3 is too narrow.

Now 4x3 may make the most sense when using an active stylus for writing. But then the Tab S2 doesn't have an active stylus!

The best compromise IMO is 3x2. Unfortunately, that is rarely adopted (I can only recall the Nook HD). For Windows, the SP3 and S3 use 3x2 successfully.

PC-User

Master Member
Reaction score
Yes, but ...

4x3 makes an 8-inch tablet too wide to hold securely in one hand for many people.

With a 10-inch tablet, there is plenty of space anyway even in portrait, so the gains from using 4x3 (e.g. reading) are small.

For those that use two apps side by side, 4x3 is too narrow.

Now 4x3 may make the most sense when using an active stylus for writing. But then the Tab S2 doesn't have an active stylus!

The best compromise IMO is 3x2. Unfortunately, that is rarely adopted (I can only recall the Nook HD). For Windows, the SP3 and S3 use 3x2 successfully.
Maybe. Different people use their tablets in different way.

Anyway just knew that the S2 9.7 is in portrait orientation unlike the S 10.5. That's a bummer for me as I'd like to use it in landscape most of the time. I'd like it symmetric with speakers on both sides.

elpibe10

Reaction score
Was pretty sure about getting it to replace my Nexus 9 until they announced that the processor is going to be last gen (Note 4 instead of S6).

Now it's out of my 'to-buy list'.

daniel_83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Was pretty sure about getting it to replace my Nexus 9 until they announced that the processor is going to be last gen (Note 4 instead of S6).

Now it's out of my 'to-buy list'.

i'm using nexus 9 too

going to replace with the S2

N9 too heavy liao

processor doesnt matter to me
i dont think i can feel the difference surfing net and watching videos

elpibe10

Reaction score
i'm using nexus 9 too

going to replace with the S2

N9 too heavy liao

processor doesnt matter to me
i dont think i can feel the difference surfing net and watching videos

Read a lot of good things about the Exynos 7420 (on the S6) and really wanted to try it (but not interested in the S6 =:p).

Also read about lag issues with Note 4 so I'm kind of concerned about the S2 using the same chip.

Don't want to jump from 1 laggy device (Nexus 9) to another.

I use the Nexus 9 for web surfing too and this happened to be its biggest problem. When gaming or watching video it's really smooth but web browsing is another thing altogether (lag, home screen refresh, etc.).

kyleongwl

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Think I'll check out Zenpad S instead of this.

For me, Tab S shd b sammy tablet flagship.
Not sure why they put an old processor witha big price for S2.

I,too, in your situation.
Not sure which to choose

Tab S 2 and Zenpad S 8.0 are very similar (4:3 ratio)
A super amoled vs IPS

Both web browsing (based on Tab S and Zenfone 2), shd b similar.
(Could b chrome or browser issue)

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Asus-ZenPad-S-8.0,Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-S2-8.0-inch/phones/9436,9384

Zenpad S
http://www.zenpad.org/2015/06/vs-samsung-galaxy-tab-s2-8-0/

Tab S 2
http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-taiwan-galaxy-tab-s2-gold-variant-631001/

http://www.androidauthority.com/galaxy-tab-s2-keyboard-cover-to-include-track-pad-631113/

Definitly no hurry for Tab S2.
Beside price will drop...there could b more freebies (free case n sd card)

This could the 1st time i dont buy on 1st day launch

Last edited:

Momentumm

Master Member
Reaction score
I went to play with it outside Robinsons Orchard last night. I thought the tablet was veryyyyyyyy sleek. I was amazed at how light and well built it was for a samsung tablet. It was definitely built while looking at ipad mini. Screen was good and usually demo sets are laggy for me but the sets i played last night was pretty good. You guys go try. Just wished touchwiz never ever existed.

elpibe10

Reaction score
I went to play with it outside Robinsons Orchard last night. I thought the tablet was veryyyyyyyy sleek. I was amazed at how light and well built it was for a samsung tablet. It was definitely built while looking at ipad mini. Screen was good and usually demo sets are laggy for me but the sets i played last night was pretty good. You guys go try. Just wished touchwiz never ever existed.

Thanks for the 'mini review'.

Touchwiz isn't a big concern for me as I'll be running it on Nova Prime.

The only thing that really irks me is the obsolete Exynos 5433 processor. Most likely trying to dump excess stock but why do that on their flagship tablet ?

If it's sporting the Exynos 7420, I'll hoot it without thinking twice.

Deavenger

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Read a lot of good things about the Exynos 7420 (on the S6) and really wanted to try it (but not interested in the S6 =:p).

Also read about lag issues with Note 4 so I'm kind of concerned about the S2 using the same chip.

Don't want to jump from 1 laggy device (Nexus 9) to another.

I use the Nexus 9 for web surfing too and this happened to be its biggest problem. When gaming or watching video it's really smooth but web browsing is another thing altogether (lag, home screen refresh, etc.).

Actually my s6 lags really bad and my note 4 hardly lags...

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.