How to start Investing. Books, Sites.

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Testing this.
Consolidated old but still useful investing threads for the time being.

Any feedback, let me know.

Last edited:

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
This sticky thread can be a good thread for newbies

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Any more appropriate thread title?

eh "All about how to start investing"? i am not sure lah, me angmo cannot lah..

but i think we can start listing all the questions that newbies ask

1) What is ETFs, bond and stocks?
2) What are ES3 and A35 and the difference?

neolaw

Reaction score
How about practical tips also? How to open a stock trading account in SG.

It includes useful things like the rules of matching, SGX fine for uncover shot, T+x payment rule, Contra across multiple brokerage etc.

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
How about practical tips also? How to open a stock trading account in SG.

It includes useful things like the rules of matching, SGX fine for uncover shot, T+x payment rule, Contra across multiple brokerage etc.

There is one sticky on how to open a trading account in sg.
http://deluxeforums.hardwarezone.co...account-singapore-updated-2015-a-3628498.html

As for matching, sgx fine, T+x etc... If anyone writes a thread full of these stuff, maybe can put another sticky.

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Wah, thank. :)

so do i start a new thread? or do i do it here? :s22:

Phase 1: Setting up your Securities Account

- Whats next after after you submit your account opening form?
- What to do if your activation links has expired
- When can you start using your CIMB account?
- How to login to i*trade@CIMB Platform
- What are the various markets that are offered by CIMB Securities
- How to edit and setting up your Watchlist
- How to search for stocks with CIMB I*Trade
- How to access the various TOP 20 statistic in SGX

STAGE 2: How to start buying/selling

- Anaylsis Tools offered by CIMB i*Trade
- How to initiate/amend/withdraw a buy/sell order
- How to calculate commission, breakeven, stop loss and due date

STAGE 3: What to do after you completed your transaction

- Checking the status of your existing orders
- Checking your orders due date
- Checking your portfolio
- How to make payment via EPS
- Pay by contract
- Pay by lump sum

Last edited:

fionalohjx

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I'm a super new investor. Haha looking to venture into the mkt as the stock prices plunge. Do anyone have any recommended books or websites that I can read to find out more about how to invest? Thanks :)

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I'm a super new investor. Haha looking to venture into the mkt as the stock prices plunge. Do anyone have any recommended books or websites that I can read to find out more about how to invest? Thanks :)

Updated liao.

fionalohjx

Reaction score
What's the difference between stocks that gives dividends and those that do not? I understand giving dividends means that they do quarterly or annyal payout to the shareholders. So does it means that stocks with dividends are better? Thanks everyone for the help

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
What's the difference between stocks that gives dividends and those that do not? I understand giving dividends means that they do quarterly or annyal payout to the shareholders. So does it means that stocks with dividends are better? Thanks everyone for the help

There are usually 2 type of companies, growth type and mature type.

The growth companies tend to have low to no dividends as they need the capital to grow/expand/m&a etc...

The matured companies tend to have mid to higher dividends as their business is matured and have not much room to grow fast, thereby they require less capital and thus giving out higher dividends.

There are some which are in between these 2 type.

There are also companies which give more dividends due to the nature of it's business like reits.

fionalohjx

Reaction score
There are usually 2 type of companies, growth type and mature type.

The growth companies tend to have low to no dividends as they need the capital to grow/expand/m&a etc...

The matured companies tend to have mid to higher dividends as their business is matured and have not much room to grow fast, thereby they require less capital and thus giving out higher dividends.

There are some which are in between these 2 type.

There are also companies which give more dividends due to the nature of it's business like reits.

So how do we decide what kind of stocks to buy? Those with or without dividends? Much appreciated, and thanks for sharing :)

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
So how do we decide what kind of stocks to buy? Those with or without dividends? Much appreciated, and thanks for sharing :)

Everyone has their own style, there is no definitive way to invest/trade. Everyone has to take responsibility for their own decision to buy/sell any stock.

If you want a simpler, fuss-free approach, I would suggest you start with STI ETF+Bond ETF, the specifics can be found in Shiny Thing's thread
http://deluxeforums.hardwarezone.com.sg/money-mind-210/*official*-shiny-things-club-4866757.html

Janson Ang

Reaction score
i bought a penny stock a year back for fun. however i didn't keep track and when i check on them recently the market value became 0 :s22: I cant really remember what is the stock name previously but seems like the name has changed to ols enterprise. im confused... that stock still appear on my accounts with market value 0. how do i get rid of it any advise? thanksss

MrSinkie95

Honorary Member
Reaction score
i bought a penny stock a year back for fun. however i didn't keep track and when i check on them recently the market value became 0 :s22: I cant really remember what is the stock name previously but seems like the name has changed to ols enterprise. im confused... that stock still appear on my accounts with market value 0. how do i get rid of it any advise? thanksss

haha think juts left it there.

same too. brought penny stock for fun won $300 at first after that lost $500 :s13:

Janson Ang

Reaction score
haha think juts left it there.

same too. brought penny stock for fun won $300 at first after that lost $500 :s13:

Haha yeah lost a couple of hundreds too. failed speculation for me but oh well treat it as a lesson learnt in buying penny stock. can win big and can lose all :s13:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.