Xperia Z5 Premium - World's first 4K display smartphone

rssd21

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
agreed. wanted to say this too LOL
anyway if Sony is really using such technology, then the battery will last longer. my mum who's using her sharp phone with IGZO can last 9 days on a single charge. SOT of 5 hours, left 10plus% battery.

It is not surprising if Sony is using their displays for Z5P, since they no longer make own displays.

technolust

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It is not surprising if Sony is using their displays for Z5P, since they no longer make own displays.

Really? But they still make the bravia tvs which means they should be able to make their own screens

toffee1878

Reaction score
Hmmm.. wonder if we will get Z5p in dual sim version as well... wonder... wonder... wonder...

rssd21

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Really? But they still make the bravia tvs which means they should be able to make their own screens

To be accurate, Sony is involved in a joint venture with Toshiba and Hitachi to make LCD displays under a company named Japan Display Inc.

So a good guess will be that majority of the displays for Sony products comes from JDI.

However, I did not find the product information regarding that Z5 premium display from JDI website.

rssd21

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hmmm.. wonder if we will get Z5p in dual sim version as well... wonder... wonder... wonder...

Not optimistic for Sony SG.

Usually we see more of the dual sim models in countries like China and Hong Kong, or Malaysia if we are in luck.

bigbadber

Banned
Reaction score
I've always felt that Sony is spreading themselves too thinly, spending too much resources unnecessarily by releasing a wide range of products.

They don't even have the market share to justify for their diversification.

I mean - I don't wish to use apple and Samsung to compare - rival companies have a huge market share, apple only has a few models and they've got the sales figures. Samsung has many models, but they have global sales figures too.

Sony has been in the red for years and have only a small fraction of the market share, but year after year, they release so many phone models, from low end to mid tier to high end phones..... And now.... The much adored Z flagship comes in 3 variations?!! Why?! Why oh why is there a need to have Z premium, Z and Z compact when you already have M, C, etc etc....

Cos the more models you sell, the more costs are involved. More man hours are spent. More money put into R&D, market sampling, manufacturing, marketing and promotions, etc etc....

You can only sell so many phones. I do not think that by releasing more models and variations, they are able to sell more phones or capture a bigger market share.

Am I wrong here? Any thoughts? Or I am the only one who wishes to see these Japs make some profits for once? I wonder what their business model is like.

Last edited:

jazzman80

Master Member
Reaction score
they should spend more on marketing here.
they supply camera lens to other manufacturer with good quality pics taken yet the pics taken on their own xperia phones are not as good, if not ,standard improved abit only.

Samsung can afford to spend much more on marketing
and with their many preloaded in-house bloatware in order to utilize fully as a smartphone,which compromise the battery too. but people like it for its versatility despite the battery starts to cui in a year or even, months. and their camera always get better.

good in a way Sony is not as popular. makes us unique in the crowd.
my ATB ex felt I was crazy to pay $700 for a Sony phone, give her she also don't want. she's an iPhone and Samsung user anyway.
I have no idea why iPhone can get so much saLes despite they are released once yearly, since 2007. with poor battery performance. only 6 plus has okay to decent battery life. consumers also do not mind charging it twice daily.

LG ,best performance in processor speed yet price drops the fastest.
HTC, best audio quality with premium built and good stereo speakers.
Sony, best battery (2nd to Sharp) with nice premium made design. decent camera.

Sharp, no official distributor here. thinnest bezels (highest screen ratio) with best battery.

by the way, the event is only for Z5 model it seems.

Last edited:

ruffruff

Master Member
Reaction score
When is Z5 hitting our shores? I hope there is an improved dac on Z5 as compare with Z3

rssd21

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I've always felt that Sony is spreading themselves too thinly, spending too much resources unnecessarily by releasing a wide range of products.

They don't even have the market share to justify for their diversification.

I mean - I don't wish to use apple and Samsung to compare - rival companies have a huge market share, apple only has a few models and they've got the sales figures. Samsung has many models, but they have global sales figures too.

Sony has been in the red for years and have only a small fraction of the market share, but year after year, they release so many phone models, from low end to mid tier to high end phones..... And now.... The much adored Z flagship comes in 3 variations?!! Why?! Why oh why is there a need to have Z premium, Z and Z compact when you already have M, C, etc etc....

Cos the more models you sell, the more costs are involved. More man hours are spent. More money put into R&D, market sampling, manufacturing, marketing and promotions, etc etc....

You can only sell so many phones. I do not think that by releasing more models and variations, they are able to sell more phones or capture a bigger market share.

Am I wrong here? Any thoughts? Or I am the only one who wishes to see these Japs make some profits for once? I wonder what their business model is like.

Sony is making profit with PS4 and camera sensors.

Maybe you mean the mobile division is not making much profit.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.