Lumia 950XL & 950 - WP10 Flagship

melvintwj

Reaction score
Oh I see. Thanks!

What he said is wrong. That dual exposure doesn't use flash, but the concept is somewhat similar.

In a poorly lit environment, rich capture will take a series of captures at varying level of exposure. It will detect moving subject(s) then look through low exposure and select the best, blur-free portion of the image. This is to ensure moving subject has minimal motion blur while maintaining details

The non moving subject, usually the background, will be selected from high exposure. Since nothing is moving, the chances of motion blur will be lower.

I assume it's a new mode in the rich capture, or at least different from HDR rich capture and flash rich capture.

Rickosw

Reaction score
One more thing....

nfdG4yql.jpg

iS34SOgl.jpg

Sent from Meizu MX4 PRO using GAGT

Rickosw

Reaction score
A Must Watch Video on 950XL Camera

During the MSFT presentation, Surface Pro 4 & Book totally "OWN" apple product ... unfortunately the true powers of 950XL is not shown ...

after watching this short clip, i know my L1020 has found a "worthy successor" liao ....

Time 3.14 (this is Samsung S6 - "Number 1" cameraphone .... Head of Imagine, "you can go try it yourself ... I;m not kidding you guys" aka L950XL just #wins hands down comparison .... Just see the Image ... Simply WOW!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pPMYFOy3No

technolust

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
During the MSFT presentation, Surface Pro 4 & Book totally "OWN" apple product ... unfortunately the true powers of 950XL is not shown ...

after watching this short clip, i know my L1020 has found a "worthy successor" liao ....

Time 3.14 (this is Samsung S6 - "Number 1" cameraphone .... Head of Imagine, "you can go try it yourself ... I;m not kidding you guys" aka L950XL just #wins hands down comparison .... Just see the Image ... Simply WOW!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pPMYFOy3No

Bro, the video while nice doesn't really do enough comparisons lah. Its too brief and photos are preprepared. Lets wait for the reviews to come out

Btw, here's some latest info on the pen, or rather the lack of one :p
http://www.windowscentral.com/what-happened-lumia-950-xls-rumored-pen

Rickosw

Reaction score
Bro, the video while nice doesn't really do enough comparisons lah. Its too brief and photos are preprepared. Lets wait for the reviews to come out

Btw, here's some latest info on the pen, or rather the lack of one :p
http://www.windowscentral.com/what-happened-lumia-950-xls-rumored-pen

Bro, yeah, i saw the Daniel's comments, my heart sunk ... cos his words are almost "as official" as it gets ... but it makes sense as well ... like what he say, MSFT killed Mclaren & Surface Mini (which i really want to buy) ... so this is possible ...

i think technology wise they can "do it" with L950XL but there is no "real story" / real benefits per se .. also the "Surface Pen" will be too big for L950XL, a more ideal size will be like Samsung Note 5 type ...

i do admit Samsung S Pen does integrate very well into the phone, ie functions, features which Redmond really need to work very hard to catch up ...

PS: Silver lining - they bought over the "S pen" for Surface , so they have some patents, People with technology know how ...

technolust

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Will local telecom give us this goodie bundle as well?
mZuxqyxl.jpg

PWlx5Hfl.jpg

Sent from Meizu MX4 PRO using GAGT

But seriously bro, you need to consider cost for a monitor, keyboard and mouse also :p. Of course at home you will already have all this but at home you will have your actual pc around also do no need use continuum :p. As th demo has shown, continuum is only useful for emergency situations (whereby you still need to a screen, keyboard and mouse, plus you must always carry the dock around). The only way I see this can be a success is when mobile phones replace laptops as a primary work device :p

Last edited:

kopi22

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
But seriously bro, you need to consider cost for a monitor, keyboard and mouse also :p. Of course at home you will already have all this but art gone you will have your actual pc around also do no need use continuum :p

Exactly. Most of us have certain kind of computer at home. And if one is going out, he will need to get some kind of foldable keyboard even can use the phone as trackpad. The dock is not that cheap either. So, I wonder how popular will it be.

Last edited:

grimfan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Exactly. Most of us have certain kind of computer at home. And if one is going out, he will need to get some kind of foldable keyboard even can use the phone as trackpad. The dock is not that cheap either. So, I wonder how popular will it be.

Continuum is just the beginning of future computing. It's not really for people who already have desktops now.

In future, new companies need not buy PCs for their employees for basic administrative work, all they need to issue them with a Windows phone, takes the BYOD paradigm to a whole new level. :D

joeltng

Reaction score

Can use Miracast apparently.

kopi22

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Continuum is just the beginning of future computing. It's not really for people who already have desktops now.

In future, new companies need not buy PCs for their employees for basic administrative work, all they need to issue them with a Windows phone, takes the BYOD paradigm to a whole new level. :D

When that happens, I bet it will hurt Windows sales? Not sure if Microsoft will start selling enterprise volume licenses for Windows 10 Mobile in the future. But since no more personal laptops for the employees, I guess Windows desktops sales will drop significantly.... It will be like MS shooting their own feet?

Just a though.... :)

Last edited:

kopi22

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can use Miracast apparently.

But Miracast has a disadvantage - apps are not working independently like Continuum right? Miracast basically mirrors the phone screen onto the external displays?

stillgottheblues

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
When that happens, I bet it will hurt Windows sales? Not sure if Microsoft will start selling enterprise volume licenses for Windows 10 Mobile in the future. But since no more personal laptops for the employees, I guess Windows desktops sales will drop significantly.... It will be like MS shooting their own feet?

It will open Windows to 3rd world but first the hub had to cost a lot lesser or even bundled free.

Sent from Window 10 using GAGT

tiger2013

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

If mobile OS can be as good as a full fledged OS like Windows, then it could develop that way.

Personally, I don't see that it will develop that way though. More likely, it will continue to complement the full OS. More integration is way more possible. Surface is a good example of the integration of apps and normal software applications.

technolust

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If mobile OS can be as good as a full fledged OS like Windows, then it could develop that way.

Personally, I don't see that it will develop that way though. More likely, it will continue to complement the full OS. More integration is way more possible. Surface is a good example of the integration of apps and normal software applications.

Kopi is right, for continuum to be a big success. the phone t must eventually replace the laptop as the main business tool. As someone else mentioned this can be a good proposition for less developed countries and SMEs due to reduced cost. However it will cannibalize laptop, pc and full windows version sales which is still Microsoft's bread and butter. I think it is still currently going to be a gimmick until the previous paradigms change. Also not to forget, a laptop brings the keyboard and monitor together in one easy package. You can't do that with continuum yet :p

tiger2013

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Kopi is right, for continuum to be a big success. the phone t must eventually replace the laptop as the main business tool. As someone else mentioned this can be a good proposition for less developed countries and SMEs due to reduced cost. However it will cannibalize laptop, pc and full windows version sales which is still Microsoft's bread and butter. I think it is still currently going to be a gimmick until the previous paradigms change. Also not to forget, a laptop brings the keyboard and monitor together in one easy package. You can't do that with continuum yet :p

I don't disagree, but more importantly, will software run on the mobile version of Windows?

The limitation currently is the OS.

The big turning point will be when both the mobile version of Windows and Windows itself merges and you just need one version of Windows.

From a business point of view, Microsoft has no incentive to do that, as it affects their Windows sales. But if Microsoft wants to reduce the chances of their software from being pirated, then merging the mobile and Windows could likely be a push for them.

That will certainly make more sense to have Continuum and phones to replace the laptop. In fact, maybe Surface will replace the laptop. Phone to complement Surface as the phone's screen size is too small to work on and read documents. The Surface will also have the advantage of keyboard as part of its package, unlike the phone. It's a full Microsoft solution, from hardware down to the software. All-in-one solution. :)

grimfan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

MS knows that selling the Windows OS as a software package to consumers is a lost cause; hence Satya Nadella keep reiterating Windows as a service.

What this essentially means is in future the basic Windows OS would be extremely low priced for consumers and for enterprises, licensing and support charges. The strategy is volume; with volume and the entrenchment of Windows, they make up the lesser margins.

Additionally, MS will charge for significant update/upgrades, new features and also their services e.g. OneDrive, MS Office, Azure (Cloud computing) etc through subscription models similar to what the anti-virus companies are doing.

Pricing is something they haven't decided yet but if they are too high, there would be a outrage so they have to be careful.

Set at a right price that is reasonable, say $10/year, most people would not be too opposed to it especially when many people have been using pirated Windows for years.

In fact, this strategy is better than releasing a new version of Windows every x number of years as it provides a more stable, predictable and continuous source of revenue.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.