[Maylyn - Networking] ASUS RT-AC88U

Godeau

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Im interested in the builtin wtfast client, looking forward to your review!

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

Is this router better than the RT-AC5300? Does this router comes with Smart Connect or similar feature? I have many wireless devices at home and I need a smart router to automatically connect to each and every device by dynamic assigning the correct radio to each.

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Is this router better than the RT-AC5300? Does this router comes with Smart Connect or similar feature? I have many wireless devices at home and I need a smart router to automatically connect to each and every device by dynamic assigning the correct radio to each.

It's up to one's preference and needs.

ASUS RT-AC88U is not a tri-band router, whereas AC5300 is.

In this case, you are better off with the AC5300 if you wanted the Smart Connect Feature. ASUS RT-AC88U doesn't come with Smart Connect Feature.

More specs info @

ASUS RT-AC88U ~>

http://www.asus.com/Networking/RT-AC88U/

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_RT-AC88U

ASUS RT-AC5300 ~>

http://www.asus.com/Networking/RT-AC5300/

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_RT-AC5300

Last edited:

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
This one possibly cost half K with the ROG branding!

NETGEAR Nighthawk X8 - AC5300 Tri-Band Quad-Stream Wi-Fi Router (R8500) also cost more than half K too :s13: :s13: :s13:

MSRP ~> USD$399.99 @ Amazon

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

So no more 5GHz-1 and 5GHz-2 ah? All lump into just 5GHz?

Like that which is better? The ASUS AC5300 or this? If the RT-AC88U would to have tri-band (later) then it'll definitely be better than the AC5300 ah?

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
So no more 5GHz-1 and 5GHz-2 ah? All lump into just 5GHz?

Like that which is better? The ASUS AC5300 or this? If the RT-AC88U would to have tri-band (later) then it'll definitely be better than the AC5300 ah?

There isn't 5GHz-1 and 5GHz-2 on the ASUS RT-AC88U lah, only AC5300 has it.

Like i have said before, if you die die wanted smart connect feature, you have to get the AC5300. ;)

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

There isn't 5GHz-1 and 5GHz-2 on the ASUS RT-AC88U lah, only AC5300 has it.

Like i have said before, if you die die wanted smart connect feature, you have to get the AC5300. ;)

Will the AC88U (AC3100) be faster than the AC5300 besides having more LAN ports?

Or is it the AC5300 has a higher bandwidth capacity over the AC88U besides having the same number of antennas as the AC88U?

So which meets my needs if I've many wireless devices at home considering the actual fact that maybe 3100Mbps will be suffice for my need since both also have Smart Connect?

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Will the AC88U (AC3100) be faster than the AC5300 besides having more LAN ports?

Or is it the AC5300 has a higher bandwidth capacity over the AC88U besides having the same number of antennas as the AC88U?

So which meets my needs if I've many wireless devices at home considering the actual fact that maybe 3100Mbps will be suffice for my need since both also have Smart Connect?

The AC88 and the AC5300 should be having similar performance since both are sporting the same Broadcom 47094 dual core 1.4GHz CPU, the differences are that the AC88 comes with 512MB RAM, 8x GbE ports and WTFast client whereas the AC5300 is 256MB RAM and 4x GbE ports without WTFast client.

I assumed you are using the ASUS RT-AC3200 now, both the ASUS RT-AC88U or the ASUS AC5300 will serve you well even you have many WiFi devices (smart connect feature aside), citing the differences.

Most will opt to get the ASUS RT-AC88U for the 8x GbE port which it's a long overdue want in consumer routers which most still have to get a separate standalone managed/unmanged switch for their wired devices.

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Worthy and new features of the ASUS RT-AC88U

Sporting the next generation Broadcom 47094 1.4GHz dual core CPU and with 512MB RAM for better than before USB 3.0 and WAN-LAN performance.

More expansive connectivity options with 8x GbE ports.

Link Aggregation which allows unprecedented higher WiFi transfer speeds than before.

Better than before QOS.

Adaptive QOS now allows hardware acceleration to be enabled for > 500Mbps Internet.

Better than before media bridging with BCM NitroQAM.

Media bridging allows up to MCS11 (NitroQAM/1024QAM) for better than before high speed WiFi connectivity.

MU-MIMO ready.

Comes with WTFast client for improved latency among online MMO games.

Last edited:

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Will the WTFast client help in speeding things up for normal use like video streaming, downloading etc rather than strictly for reducing latency by speeding up the router in gaming?

If the AC88U is in every way better than the AC5300 then ASUS don't have to release the latter leow unless ASUS is targeting a specific market segment and there's a significant price difference between the two. What customers is ASUS targeting for its AC5300?

Last edited:

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
Will the WTFast client help in speeding things up for normal use like video streaming, downloading etc rather than strictly for reducing latency by speeding up the router in gaming?

If the AC88U is in every way better than the AC5300 then ASUS don't have to release the latter leow unless ASUS is targeting a specific market segment and there's a significant price difference between the two. What customers is ASUS targeting for its AC5300?

Dear Apparatus,

RT-AC5300 can handle more wireless connection and smartconnect feature.

Best regard,
JK

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score

WTFast client allows you to utilize their WTFast private WAN network rather than going through your subscribed ISP designated routes to the various game servers to achieve better routes/lesser hops/lower latency.

ASUS designed their ASUS RT-AC88U for gamers and enthusiasts in mind, whereas the AC5300 are designed for those whom wanted to utilize 2x 5GHz for their WiFi devices and the smart connect feature.

Last edited:

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Update with new image showing North America boxing :D

ASUS ROG figurine not included. :(

2ulkifli

Reaction score
After getting the ASUS RT-AC87U, I won't trust ASUS reviews anymore... rather buy other brands then ASUS. ASUS style of making product is like asking it's customers to buy their product and report issues only !!!

PUI

Last edited:

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
After getting the ASUS RT-AC87U, I won't trust ASUS reviews anymore... rather buy other brands then ASUS. ASUS style of making product is like asking it's customers to buy their product and report issues only !!!

PUI

1) i think you have bought a lemon model

2) the trick is not to buy during the initial release. read reviews and buy once the firmware has stabilised. for me, i just upgraded to a n66u this year. the model has been out for many years and i know it is a solid router.

3) the strong point of asus is its huge fan base and testers. thats good for future upgrades and improvements.

2ulkifli

Reaction score
1) i think you have bought a lemon model

2) the trick is not to buy during the initial release. read reviews and buy once the firmware has stabilised. for me, i just upgraded to a n66u this year. the model has been out for many years and i know it is a solid router.

3) the strong point of asus is its huge fan base and testers. thats good for future upgrades and improvements.

It's out for long time already and still tweaking firmware?? see this thread.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.