Tablet for university student

D-Aced

Reaction score
The tablets with stylus that have active technology are much better for handwriting notes than normal tablets like Ipad Air. They have palm rejection built in. Examples: Note 8, Note 10.1, Note 5 phablet, Surface 3, Surface Pro 4, Ipad Pro.

IMO these kind of tablets can replace pen and paper.

Nonetheless it is not worth buying Note 10.1 or Note 8 brand new. These models are 2 years and 3 years old respectively. I would not even buy Note 8 second hand, as the battery is probably not going to hold much of a charge.

wa... but other than the note 10.1 and note 8, the rest like too costly for me alrd. is there a budget option for palm rejection tech?

oh. got it. i shall cancel the 2 off my list. THX!

caterham7

Master Member
Reaction score
as mentioned earlier, 2-in-1 devices are top heavy, and only suitable for use on stable flat surface

e.g. a surface type device is light, but needs "space" for the kickstand; if you are using it at lecture theatre with those small foldout table, may not have space to rest the kickstand

as for weight, i googled your msi laptop; that one is 15.6-inch monster

there are budget laptops around 1kg weight, asus x205ta, lenovo ideapad 100s, hp stream 13

flee0308

Reaction score
Been there done that.. End of day paper and pen best. Don't risk your grades testing out new technology.

tspurs

Reaction score
wa... but other than the note 10.1 and note 8, the rest like too costly for me alrd. is there a budget option for palm rejection tech?

oh. got it. i shall cancel the 2 off my list. THX!

Budget ah....

Hunt around for good second hand deals for Note 10.1 (or its bigger cousin Note Pro 12.2). IMO these two are still quite serviceable.

A risky option is to get the Asus T100 Chi 2-in-1. It is supposed to have active stylus support as well, but I have never seen the stylus in use. I did not like the cramped keyboard.

Another risky option is to get a China tablet like the "Cube i7 Stylus" http://www.cube-tablet.com/cube-i7-stylus-10-6-inch-4gb-64gb-tablet.html

IMO the best option is to get a university interest free computer loan and buy the most suitable machine, price be damned! :s13:

Steve2stv

Reaction score
i went to challenger but dont seem to see any of the older version other than surface 3 or surface 3 pro sia. i will consider that for sure

what are some good models for budget around that price ah? other than the 2 models someone told introed. weight is an issue for me coz my bag is usually quite full. i find it hard to stuff my msi laptop also.

ok! thanks! guess ill take a lot of brochures and think really hard :p
The brochures can grab via online first. Just offset another $30 or so if you going to grab last min deals but might be out of stocks. (initial stated prices are usually lower than retails by some margins already) Sometimes no additional last min cost down they add freebies.

Surface RT retail not selling, you can buy 2nd hand from forum or carousell etc. Many people selling away because they thought of using it to replace a traditional desktop or laptop but getting a RT, a user must understand what they really want and getting.

But like if you have the budget, a 2-in-1 laptop would be better. Some models like Dell Inspiron 11, HP Pavillion X2 & Asus Transformer T100 are not bad. Acer Switch 10 can be your last resort. They are all quite like weight, 10" only too.

But these laptop are not meant for heavy gaming and such which your MSI does. So they, they each serve their own purposes :)

Steve2stv

Reaction score
wouldn't it be better to get surface 3 rather than RT?
Depends on a person's budget and usage i guess.
For me sure a Surface 3 is better than RT. The capabilities is wider.
But if one just wanna do basic stuffs and with limited budget, RT fits the bill i believe. No need to breaks the bank. :)

D-Aced

Reaction score
update:

today i just went to challenger to have a look at those models introed to me

1. asus transformer t100 *heavy if add charger, mouse n stuff*
2. lenovo ideapad 100s *heavy if add charger, mouse n stuff*
3. hp stream 13 *heavy if add charger, mouse n stuff*
4. microsoft surface 3 $750+ with the tablet only, worth it? or wait till got discount?
5. microsoft surface 4 *no budget for this*
6. galaxy tab a 8.0 & 9.7 *$400 and $500 for the wifi version. worth it?*
7. asus zenpad 7.0 *laggy*

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/tablet-den-328/xiaomi-mi-pad-2-a-5239543.html
8. new xiaomi pad 2 *si beh cheap*

i think most of them can be used to do some light editing of pdf files/microsoft suites and good for revision but which is the better options? xiaomi pad 2 seems to be the best value for $. :s11::s11::s11:

Last edited:

twasken

Reaction score
User of Samsung Galaxy Tab A 9.7 here. Took this device daily with me for classes in the last semester. My profs typically upload readings in pdf... I just read off my tablet and annotate with the S pen. Shaves off the loads of paper to print and thick stacks of paper I'd otherwise need to deal with (I'm from a very reading intensive major of study).

Having a stylus with good palm rejection is the way to go. A good app like Papyrus/Squid goes a long way with all kinds of highlighting and scribblings like you can do on pen and paper and organising all those PDFs. Tried to do something similar before on an iPad, didn't like it - the entire user experience of writing on your notes is just different when you can rest your entire palm on the screen as you write.

Can consider if you have a mid range budget. There's the 8 inch model if you find 9.7 inches too unwieldy. Downside is the 1024x768 resolution, which is a major step down if you're used to retina display and above kind of pixel density. But then again you won't hold a tablet as close to your face as you would your phone, so it's not too bad an experience.

GotBetrayed

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wait surface 3 discount if you are not in a hurry. Usually got free type cover bundle

eyz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i think you can try looking for a 2nd hand surface pro 3. the machine has 2 years warranty. those selling in the market should still have warranty.

D-Aced

Reaction score
Yes however that's the us store. Wait for the local 1. The best discount I have seen for surface 3 is free type cover and pen.

oh. whats the difference between local and us store? convert usd to sgd become ard same price?

GotBetrayed

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
oh. whats the difference between local and us store? convert usd to sgd become ard same price?

Us means only ship to us. Buy from local microsoft online store. Not sure whether their black friday will come sg or not lol

Rickosw

Reaction score
Yes however that's the us store. Wait for the local 1. The best discount I have seen for surface 3 is free type cover and pen.

yeah, that was a good one, but i only managed to get Student Discount 10%, with Free type Cover - keyboard & Office 365 ( 1yr ) - didnt managed to get the PEN

i have a free Surface Sleeve - from 2 days ago Surface 4 event (but way too big for Surface 3) , more suitable for Surface Pro / Book ... but i wont even recommend using it, cos really too "thin" - not much protection per se

Last edited:

GotBetrayed

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yeah, that was a good one, but i only managed to get Student Discount 10%, with Free type Cover - keyboard & Office 365 ( 1yr ) - didnt managed to get the PEN

i have a free Surface Sleeve - from 2 days ago Surface 4 event (but way too big for Surface 3) , more suitable for Surface Pro / Book ... but i wont even recommend using it, cos really too "thin" - not much protection per se

Wa go event can get free sleeve? Lol. My surface pro 4 sleeve supposed to come to me today. Not sure where is the ninja delivery guy

GotBetrayed

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Song song I received the sleeve lol.
Actually.. don't really need it 1 I think

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.