Acer XB271HU

jayz_sg

Reaction score
Was originally contemplating between this and the X34.

I watched some video reviews of the X34 and one reviewer mentioned that the ultra-wide 21:9 ratio isn't ideal for first person shooters (which I play quite a lot) as it had a "swimmy" feel to it (not mouse lag or perf issues). I personally tried CS: GO on the X34 at Xtreme Solutions and at Funan and thought the same thing. So 3 major cons against it:

1) Perf decrease due to extra game world being rendered compared to 16:9 monitors.
2) Weird "swimmy" feel for shooters.
3) 300 bucks more expensive than the XB271HU.

So the choice became clear to me. :D

Sent from LGE NEXUS 5X using GAGT

Also the X34 is 100Hz only. XB271HU is up to 165Hz. :D

DXMachina

Banned
Reaction score
Isn't 300 bucks more expensive for 21:9 kinda like a good thing?

Sent from Huawei NEXUS 6P using GAGT

Yep, like what Clement said. It's basically paying 300 bucks more to have 2 cons to me (perf loss is real and not subjective, while the "swimmy" feel might be, or at least I felt so personally after testing the X34).

And I don't think the cons are worth it given that the only advantage is extra screen space, which surprisingly didn't give me that wow factor when I sent to test the X34. I can see it being useful for people who play RTS/MOBA games, which I don't. For shooters, the "swimmy" feel basically negates the advantage of the extra screen space. Rather have a more responsive, 16:9 monitor any time.

c1em3ntchua

Reaction score
Yep, like what Clement said. It's basically paying 300 bucks more to have 2 cons to me (perf loss is real and not subjective, while the "swimmy" feel might be, or at least I felt so personally after testing the X34).

And I don't think the cons are worth it given that the only advantage is extra screen space, which surprisingly didn't give me that wow factor when I sent to test the X34. I can see it being useful for people who play RTS/MOBA games, which I don't. For shooters, the "swimmy" feel basically negates the advantage of the extra screen space. Rather have a more responsive, 16:9 monitor any time.

1080p to 1440p also performance loss. :s22:

I doubt I have the GPU horsepower to fully utilize this monitor though. But then there's Pascal incoming.

DXMachina

Banned
Reaction score
1080p to 1440p also performance loss. :s22:

I doubt I have the GPU horsepower to fully utilize this monitor though. But then there's Pascal incoming.
Yes that's true, but when choosing between X34 and XB271HU, perf loss with XB271HU is lesser. :)

I think running most games at 1440p should be ok on the perf end, but am wondering how the image quality will be affected (besides a blurrier image inherent with a lower reso) if we run games at the monitor's non-native 1080p reso. Are there any other weird side effects which may surface by going lower than non-native reso?

c1em3ntchua

Reaction score
Yes that's true, but when choosing between X34 and XB271HU, perf loss with XB271HU is lesser. :)

I think running most games at 1440p should be ok on the perf end, but am wondering how the image quality will be affected (besides a blurrier image inherent with a lower reso) if we run games at the monitor's non-native 1080p reso. Are there any other weird side effects which may surface by going lower than non-native reso?

I have been pondering about this issue. What I did was to run my current monitor at a lower resolution to see if you observe any artifacting. The resolution to test if you want the exact scaling is 1440 x 810 (have to run custom resolution for this). For me, it looked OK, so I'm not worried.

t258jgn

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
:s21:
:love::love:

Acer-Predator-xb271hu-02.jpg

DXMachina

Banned
Reaction score
I have been pondering about this issue. What I did was to run my current monitor at a lower resolution to see if you observe any artifacting. The resolution to test if you want the exact scaling is 1440 x 810 (have to run custom resolution for this). For me, it looked OK, so I'm not worried.
Ok, am going to test it to see how it goes. Hope it's not a case of diff monitor, diff downscaling quality.
Hope mine is in the stack. :p

jayz_sg

Reaction score

I tried playing AC Syndicate in 1080p with XB271HU, I didn't notice any issues, got higher fps as well.

DXMachina

Banned
Reaction score
I really like the Acer Predator wallpaper. Cannot find online. :s22:

I think it's nice too. A few days ago I was trying to look for it online as well, to no luck. I chanced upon one of the Predator gaming laptops in Funan displaying the wallpaper. Almost wanted to ask the staff if I could extract it out. :s22:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.