How to start Investing. Books, Sites.

haoKRR

Reaction score
no need broker la, haha. just trade on your own first.
but anyone "using" broker?

newbie here. waiting for my account to be created from DBSV

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
what I heard is that SCB holds our shares instead of us, and i dont really like that idea.

Any other plus points SCB have over DBS? newbie here

Actually, every stock brokerage in the world does the same thing bar SG.
And even our local brokerage use custodian when you buy anything outside of SG market.
So if you use DBS to buy US counter, same as SCB liao.

And not much +point other than the huge difference in comms and no other whatsoever fees.

Bedokian

Reaction score
what I heard is that SCB holds our shares instead of us, and i dont really like that idea.

If you use the cash upfront of most brokerages here, they will be the custodian of your shares as well. Same goes for foreign securities. In fact, CDP itself is like a huge custodian.

waxqube

Reaction score

Actually that can be a plus point because companies send a lot of stuff that I don't really need... (e.g. printed annual reports)

haoKRR

Reaction score
Actually that can be a plus point because companies send a lot of stuff that I don't really need... (e.g. printed annual reports)

If you use the cash upfront of most brokerages here, they will be the custodian of your shares as well. Same goes for foreign securities. In fact, CDP itself is like a huge custodian.

Actually, every stock brokerage in the world does the same thing bar SG.
And even our local brokerage use custodian when you buy anything outside of SG market.
So if you use DBS to buy US counter, same as SCB liao.

And not much +point other than the huge difference in comms and no other whatsoever fees.

so is it a good thing to have it with us?
and by DBS, does it really mean we have the stocks "in our pocket"? lol

Bedokian

Reaction score
so is it a good thing to have it with us?
and by DBS, does it really mean we have the stocks "in our pocket"? lol

Unless you wish to go back to the old days where the company literally issue a share certificate with your name and number of shares on it, most of the shares now (99.9%) are in electronic form.

haoKRR

Reaction score
Thanks for your inputs guys.

Since its free to open one at scb, i tried doing it online and went through a "test". Failed it and was rejected to open an account. lol
Is this the correct way ?

odie2108

Reaction score
Thanks for your inputs guys.

Since its free to open one at scb, i tried doing it online and went through a "test". Failed it and was rejected to open an account. lol
Is this the correct way ?

we went down in person to open acct de
got pretty mm there one:s13:

ithelper

Reaction score
Was wondering, after we placed our order and we have T+3 days to pay for the shares right? If we never pay after T+3 what will happen?

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Was wondering, after we placed our order and we have T+3 days to pay for the shares right? If we never pay after T+3 what will happen?

Depends on what account you are using, for SCB, you need to fund it before you can buy. For the T+3 type, I suppose your brokers will call you up and extend it for a day or two.
Anything more and I think they would sell your shares and impose a fee. Have to ask Sinkie.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.