Suria (HD) - live
Channel 5 (HD) - live

2pq2hw0.png

UHF31 - 554MHz

Channel 8 (HD) - live
Vasantham (HD) - live

petetherock

Reaction score
As we enter the year where most homes will have a chance to use digital TV, we want to keep the info flowing and let everyone here join the digital revolution, so post your tips and info here.

Cheers

petetherock

Reaction score
FAQ:

MediaCorp Digital TV

Setup screen shots:

www.hardwarezone.com.sg - View Single Post - Digital TV (DVB T2) in Singapore [consolidated]

What you need to get DVB - T2

www.hardwarezone.com.sg - View Single Post - Digital TV (DVB T2) in Singapore [consolidated]

1)
YOU CANNOT CONNECT YOUR DVB-T2 CARD TO YOUR SCV POINT AND EXPECT TO RECEIVE DVB-T2 SIGNALS!

SCV Point looks like this:
scv.jpg

MATV Point looks like this:
psw122.gif

A lot of the MATV points got disabled when SCV rolled out cabling in Singapore over 20 years ago. HDB is also no longer maintaining the MATV points so your best bet is still using a DIY antenna.

2) DVB-T2 signals are not available islandwide now and are only available at certain places. Refer to this map:
rollout_map.jpg

3) The other 2 ways you can receive DVB-T2 channels are:
- Subscribe to Singtel MiOTV
- Subscribe to Starhub Cable TV
(ie, PAY MONEY)

petetherock

Reaction score
Equipment you will need:

• a set top box (stb) or digital tv tuner

FAQS:
http://www.ifaq.gov.sg/MDA/apps/fcd...u9nfkcSfqdFJl3qrfNafC6yRWRkW+mBRm4/V8RQVJpw==

Or a TV with built in DVB.

Add:

And an Antenna
http://www17.mediacorp.sg/digitaltv/
http://www17.mediacorp.sg/digitaltv/faq.html
- either DIY

or

- Indoor

My suggestion here is not comprehensive to cover the situations for landed properties and condos. These are covered by the MediaCorp FAQ. Please decide how you want to deal with this.

st_20150708_gltv08_1490860.jpg

Watch TV everywhere in Singapore (http://www.straitstimes.com/tech/watch-tv-everywhere-in-singapore)

Choosing the right digital TV set-top box (http://www.straitstimes.com/tech/choosing-the-right-digital-tv-set-top-box)

petetherock

Reaction score
Please post your experience in the different areas in Singapore as DTV reaches all corners of our island, thanks.

tatsit

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Dont understand why okto gets HD earlier than chan U

amazingone

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Latest Digital TV rollout status. The map below updates automatically if there's new area having indoor reception.
rollout_map_p.jpg

Analogue TV broadcast shutting down by end-2017.
The Straits Time said:
SINGAPORE - The authorities have pinned down when Singapore will pull the plug on analogue broadcasting: by end-2017.

The move to digital broadcasting started in December 2013 when national broadcaster Mediacorp converted all seven of its free-to-air TV channels to the digital format.

It has continued to broadcast in the analogue format, but this will end by next year.

To continue watching free-to-air television channels after end-2017, viewers will need to buy and connect a digital set-top box and an indoor antenna to their existing TV sets. The equipment retails in shops for about $130.

Most of the TV sets on sale today already come with a built-in digital tuner and some vendors throw in a free antenna to sweeten the offer.

To be sure, consumers should look out for a label issued by the Media Development Authority (MDA) that indicates whether the TV set, or set-top box, is compliant with Singapore's digital format.

To ensure no one is left behind, MDA rolled out a help scheme in 2014 for low-income families.

Close to half of the 77,000 households that automatically qualified for help have installed their free digital set-top box, it said. These are people living in one- or two-room rental flats, or those on ComCare or self-help groups' help schemes.

The target is to have all 160,000 low-income households - those with monthly income of $1,900 and below, or an annual property value of $13,000 or lower - receive their free set-top box.

MDA also urged low-income households that have yet to receive their free set-top box to apply with the authority.

Singtel and StarHub pay-TV subscribers, whose platforms are already digital, need not do anything to prepare for the switch to digital broadcasting.

Pay-TV subscribers form about 60 per cent of households here.

Digital transmissions allow broadcasters to send more signals more efficiently, enabling viewers to receive higher quality images and sound.

Other benefits include the ability to toggle the display of subtitles and multiple language options included with programmes.

Six of Mediacorp's free-to-air TV channels - Channel 5, Channel 8, Suria,Vasantham, Channel NewsAsia and okto - are in high-definition (HD) format, which is possible only with digital TV. Channel U will go HD this year.

To date, 21 housing estates, or 65 per cent of all households in Singapore, can receive digital transmissions.

The rest of the island is on track for the digital transmission upgrade by the end of this year, according to Mediacorp's website.
http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/no-analogue-broadcasting-by-end-2017-digital-tvs-or-set-top-boxes-needed-to-watch-free-to?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#xtor=CS1-10

Digital TV TVC

Last edited:

alfseeto

Reaction score
Am I right to say that if I don't subscribe to paid TV, I will have to endure that unsightly antenna in order to receive digital TV? If the TV is not located close to a window, even worse need to extend the antenna a long distance.

Anyone found a better way to hide the antenna?

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Am I right to say that if I don't subscribe to paid TV, I will have to endure that unsightly antenna in order to receive digital TV? If the TV is not located close to a window, even worse need to extend the antenna a long distance.

If you have the old HDB MATV point then use that as source. Or if your TV have DVB-C tuner then use SCV point as source.

amazingone

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

For my case, my antenna is being sticked behind my TV, so it doesn't affect much of any aesthetic unsightly issues and is still able to receive DTV signal well. :)

Sent from my Rice phone using GAGT

b00mxer

Reaction score

DTV suppose to allow you to receive signals even without placing them unsightly. Get those tiny active antennas those that fits in with your furniture should be fine. Place them behind or beside the tv if your area is already digital ready.

Last edited:

alfseeto

Reaction score
Mine cannot. If I don't place the antenna near the window the picture keeps freezing. Maybe my estate reception no good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.