Chasing the Northern Lights - Iceland

jackieatbtu

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Extreme Iceland have their own tours as well as selling other company tours. Theirs is usually in smaller minivans seating 20-24 pax and some are overnighters. I find that it is more personal and we had a great tour guide/driver for the Snaefellsness tour.

The golden circle tour they actually arrange for us to follow the big bus company from grayline. So that one is definitely more impersonal and the guide keep repeating to keep to schedule. Not much fun but cheap. I notice if you book directly from grayline, their prices are slightly cheaper but Extreme Iceland does give me free airport transfers that are worth more.

brownies

Reaction score
BTW... any feedback regarding Extreme Iceland? Initially I thought their tours are expensive, but after checking other tour agency, their price are actually not that bad.

We are going on 2nd week of Feb, so no choice but to join tours since no one in my group has any snow driving experience.

Hey, I'm going on the 2nd week of Feb too. Do you mind to share which tour are u joining?

I would like to go to Ice cave on Vatnajökull but there isnt any tour depart from Reykjavik.
We are not driving and i have booked my accomdation already.

Ekspakk

Reaction score
Hey, I'm going on the 2nd week of Feb too. Do you mind to share which tour are u joining?

I would like to go to Ice cave on Vatnajökull but there isnt any tour depart from Reykjavik.
We are planning to take this 2 tours from Extreme Iceland:
Snaefellsnes Peninsula and Auroras - 2 days / 1 night
Jokulsarlon, Golden Circle and Ice Caving - Three Day

I think it's better to take multi-day tours rather than day tours from Reykjavik, else you will just waste time traveling back and forth.

BTW, can you also share where you are going to stay? Thanks!

brownies

Reaction score
We are planning to take this 2 tours from Extreme Iceland:
Snaefellsnes Peninsula and Auroras - 2 days / 1 night
Jokulsarlon, Golden Circle and Ice Caving - Three Day

I think it's better to take multi-day tours rather than day tours from Reykjavik, else you will just waste time traveling back and forth.

BTW, can you also share where you are going to stay? Thanks!

Thanks for sharing.

I have already booked my accomodation that why we prefer day tour. Dont waste extra money.
Wanted to go Jokulsarlon but there is no day tour in winter time which i didnt take note previously. Haha.

I was thinking to take private car but not worth for the 2 of us to pay USD1100.
Its actually for the price of 4/5paxs. Unless we can find other people to tag along.

By the way, I stay at Castle House & Embassy Luxury Apartments.

Last edited:

vincearteta

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing.

I have already booked my accomodation that why we prefer day tour. Dont waste extra money.
Wanted to go Jokulsarlon but there is no day tour in winter time which i didnt take note previously. Haha.

I was thinking to take private car but not worth for the 2 of us to pay USD1100.
Its actually for the price of 4/5paxs. Unless we can find other people to tag along.

By the way, I stay at Castle House & Embassy Luxury Apartments.

If I'm not wrong, Northern Comfort Apartments is cheaper and same owner of Castle House! I stayed there during my trip! Location is slightly out of the main street of Laugavegur.
https://thehonestexplorer.wordpress.com/

catwhisperer

Reaction score

Hi, same predicament as you. I'm going in late Jan /early Feb so would not drive, but wanted to go to the icecave too.

booked cheap accom with airbnb and booked this tour: http://www.glacierguides.is/trips/other-trips/southcoast-icecave-skaftafell-jokulsarlon

The tour operator is Arctic Adventures but it seems tiny bit cheaper to book through glacier guides.

Extreme iceland has the same price I think, but they were not very clear on the tour operator.

Other than this, there is a 2day tour operated by Goecco tours, but recent reviews have revealed that they can be quite disorganised, and when i emailed recently they said that tours will be 26-people large groups due to poor weather conditions. They have 6bedder dorms for USD490/pax.

I have searched extensively on this and can tell you quite confidently that there are no day trips for vatnajokull ice caves.

catwhisperer

Reaction score
Is it worth the extra to go for a superjeep northern lights tour or just a normal bus/minibus tour?

Doctawu

Reaction score
Planning to self drive during mid-December 2016 to Golden Circle, Vik, Skafatell Park. Jokulsalorn Lagoon and Blue Lagoon.

Is it safe? Intend to complete all these within 4D3N. Will it be too rush?

brownies

Reaction score
Hi, same predicament as you. I'm going in late Jan /early Feb so would not drive, but wanted to go to the icecave too.

booked cheap accom with airbnb and booked this tour: http://www.glacierguides.is/trips/other-trips/southcoast-icecave-skaftafell-jokulsarlon

The tour operator is Arctic Adventures but it seems tiny bit cheaper to book through glacier guides.

Extreme iceland has the same price I think, but they were not very clear on the tour operator.

Other than this, there is a 2day tour operated by Goecco tours, but recent reviews have revealed that they can be quite disorganised, and when i emailed recently they said that tours will be 26-people large groups due to poor weather conditions. They have 6bedder dorms for USD490/pax.

I have searched extensively on this and can tell you quite confidently that there are no day trips for vatnajokull ice caves.

Yes, I did my research as well. There is no day trip for vatnajokull ice caves in Winter period except Goecco tours ( Glacier Lagoon EXPRESS) but very sad, the tour is full so i couldnt join them.

so now either i drop the idea to go to ice cave or i will go to Langjökull Ice Cave instead. No choice.

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hey, I might be going to Iceland in November this year, just wanted to know how's the overall trip gonna cost?
Can't find many with overall total trip cost on google. It's just for my reference to get a sense of the range in SGD.

Last edited:

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I just came back from Iceland 2 weeks ago...absolutely beautiful place and possibly the best country I have ever visited.

My trip report is at https://thehonestexplorer.wordpress.com/

Let me know if you need any information anytime, or want me to share my itinerary or something!

May I know, overall how much does it cost for your whole trip? Can't find the total cost in your blog.

Din0saurus

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey, I might be going to Iceland in November this year, just wanted to know how's the overall trip gonna cost?
Can't find many with overall total trip cost on google. It's just for my reference to get a sense of the range in SGD.

you don't say for how long and what you're gonna be doing, but I would say 5k is a decent to budget to start with.

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
you don't say for how long and what you're gonna be doing, but I would say 5k is a decent to budget to start with.

Oops, my bad.
14 days. Trying to budget for mostly scenic stuff. Exploring places. Self-driving. Catching Aurora. No helicopter or expensive activity. Maybe just dog sledding. :)

wanderlex

Reaction score
Oops, my bad.
14 days. Trying to budget for mostly scenic stuff. Exploring places. Self-driving. Catching Aurora. No helicopter or expensive activity. Maybe just dog sledding. :)

Hi, just to chip in a bit if its useful. I spent a self drive week around Iceland back in Mar/Apr 2014. The rough breakdown cost of the rental Hyundai Tucson 2.7 4x4 was around S$980, petrol for the thirsty hippo ride came to almost S$850, the stay there costs around S$800.

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hi, just to chip in a bit if its useful. I spent a self drive week around Iceland back in Mar/Apr 2014. The rough breakdown cost of the rental Hyundai Tucson 2.7 4x4 was around S$980, petrol for the thirsty hippo ride came to almost S$850, the stay there costs around S$800.

Hello, thank for the reply.
So for the 1 week there, your total spend is around $2.7k before adding air ticket?

wanderlex

Reaction score
Everything is possible my friend, I am not very good with travel budget...I could perhaps save more if I have opt for a smaller car than a Tucson (I am alone anyway...) but the 4x4 gave me a peace of mind and confidence driving on the snowy roads.

I saw a sedan car with 4 Malaysians stuck in the ground on the way to Hverfjall...wanted to help but couldn't. The next was seeing a small hatchback having difficulties reaching Dettifoss because of the super slippery road, even the Tucson skidded slightly...

And of course, the accommodation choices will play a huge part but I value my own privacy and personal toilet so I guess it absolutely possible to trim down the costs depending on your travel preferences.

Creathor

Reaction score
Everything is possible my friend, I am not very good with travel budget...I could perhaps save more if I have opt for a smaller car than a Tucson (I am alone anyway...) but the 4x4 gave me a peace of mind and confidence driving on the snowy roads.

I saw a sedan car with 4 Malaysians stuck in the ground on the way to Hverfjall...wanted to help but couldn't. The next was seeing a small hatchback having difficulties reaching Dettifoss because of the super slippery road, even the Tucson skidded slightly...

And of course, the accommodation choices will play a huge part but I value my own privacy and personal toilet so I guess it absolutely possible to trim down the costs depending on your travel preferences.

Sounds dangerous. Got alternative! Southern lights also aurora right hahahha and its cheaper closer at Australia! Heard that the Northern lights will not be as bright for the next 20 years or something ar

wanderlex

Reaction score
The scientists' prediction is after all a prediction as per what those locals whom I spoken to in Norway, Iceland and Canada. There was a year which predicted to have the strongest solar activities but still you may not be able to see it, either due to the clouds, rain or area you are at. Luck is the ultimate deciding factor of all. Take whatever mother nature decided to show you that faithful night.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.