Huawei Honor Note 8

lamtw22

Reaction score
Not available outside of China currently. Not sure if or when Huawei will make it available in other countries.

I was at the official store in Plaza Sing just now and the staff told me that the phone will be launched end Nov or early Dec.

Dorkable

Reaction score
The battery life is good despite having 2k resolution display. Also, the selfie cam performs better than I expected. I wonder if they are using the 1.4 µm pixel size.

The rear cam is decent but loses out to the quality of Xiaomi Mi5s Plus and Asus Zenfone 3 Ultra.

Cons are:

1) the 4G/2G dual sim setup
2) a lacking GPU paired up with a good chipset.
3) Average GPS performance, loses out to my Mi5s Plus

Overall, I still like the Honor Note 8 :)

lamtw22

Reaction score
The battery life is good despite having 2k resolution display. Also, the selfie cam performs better than I expected. I wonder if they are using the 1.4 µm pixel size.

The rear cam is decent but loses out to the quality of Xiaomi Mi5s Plus and Asus Zenfone 3 Ultra.

Cons are:

1) the 4G/2G dual sim setup
2) a lacking GPU paired up with a good chipset.
3) Average GPS performance, loses out to my Mi5s Plus

Overall, I still like the Honor Note 8 :)

Good to hear that.

Note 8 has optical image stabliser (OIS) but not Mi5s plus. Do you get lesser blurry photos than Mi5s plus?

Also, is the OS better on Huawei than Xiaomi and Asus?

lamtw22

Reaction score
Called up Huawei store to check when the phone will arrive but now they say only Honor 8 will come to Singapore and not Note 8.

lamtw22

Reaction score
Just got the phone. My hand got very tired after using this phone for some time. Before this, have been using the 6.44 inch Xiaomi Max but was ok. Didn't expect 2mm wider and 20 gram heavier can have such impact. Anyone feeling the same?

However, everything seems to be better on the Note 8, ie. screen, speed, speaker, camera, OS, onboard apps, except battery life (slightly worst).

warboy85

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just got the phone. My hand got very tired after using this phone for some time. Before this, have been using the 6.44 inch Xiaomi Max but was ok. Didn't expect 2mm wider and 20 gram heavier can have such impact. Anyone feeling the same?

However, everything seems to be better on the Note 8, ie. screen, speed, speaker, camera, OS, onboard apps, except battery life (slightly worst).
u got it from local or oversea?

Sent from Huawei NEXUS 6P using GAGT

lamtw22

Reaction score

From overseas from Q10.

I am really impressed by Huawei OS providing a lot of customizations, including adjusting the screen temperature, view mode sizes, many screen gestures and even fingerprint gestures (eg. to scroll gallery). Also, the camera's photo pro mode can even adjust the white balance on a variable scale. The voice recorder can even tell you the direction the sound is coming from (I guess because of the 3 mic present). Unfortunately, the floating dock/ball cannot be customized to launch apps.

wulunzun

Reaction score
Yeah the phone is quite heavy because of the full metal body. I don't really like metal bodies but due to the western reviewers demanding metal and glass bodies for so-called premium feel, now all companies go for this "premium feel" making the phones either heavy or easily breakable. I'd rather have polycarbonate material like the Nokia Lumia phones. Light, very nice feel, no fingerprints, not slippery and not so breakable.

I also like Huawei's OS. Don't understand why the reviewers don't like it.

Sent from HUAWEI HONOR NOTE 8 using GAGT

lamtw22

Reaction score
Yeah the phone is quite heavy because of the full metal body. I don't really like metal bodies but due to the western reviewers demanding metal and glass bodies for so-called premium feel, now all companies go for this "premium feel" making the phones either heavy or easily breakable. I'd rather have polycarbonate material like the Nokia Lumia phones. Light, very nice feel, no fingerprints, not slippery and not so breakable.

I also like Huawei's OS. Don't understand why the reviewers don't like it.

Yes, in fact, the edit function in the Gallery is quite comprehensive and you can choose the pen to write or draw on the photo with quite fine brush. I really hope Huawei will put a stylus in the successor to this phone and give us a real alternative to the Samsung Galaxy Note series (where I came from).

I bought the Huawei original dot matrix case, which will show the time and weather through the dots. When the phone rings, it will show the caller name and the usual red and green sign. To my surprise, you can actually slide on the case to choose to answer or reject the call, without opening the flap. See picture below:

http://www.after-service.com/media/wysiwyg/img/honor-note-8/original-honor-note-8-cover_2_.jpg

wulunzun

Reaction score
Yes, in fact, the edit function in the Gallery is quite comprehensive and you can choose the pen to write or draw on the photo with quite fine brush. I really hope Huawei will put a stylus in the successor to this phone and give us a real alternative to the Samsung Galaxy Note series (where I came from).

I bought the Huawei original dot matrix case, which will show the time and weather through the dots. When the phone rings, it will show the caller name and the usual red and green sign. To my surprise, you can actually slide on the case to choose to answer or reject the call, without opening the flap. See picture below:

http://www.after-service.com/media/wysiwyg/img/honor-note-8/original-honor-note-8-cover_2_.jpg
I also have the dot matrix case but the case seems to make the phone even heavier so I changed to a open-faced rubber case. It's lighter.

lamtw22

Reaction score
I also have the dot matrix case but the case seems to make the phone even heavier so I changed to a open-faced rubber case. It's lighter.

Yes, 200+g becomes 300+g but I got used to it.

Actually, the camera is not bad just that it always overexposed the shot so much so that the colours become white wash. What I found was by using Pro Photo mode and adjusting the EV to -0.6 will usually solve the problem and get a nicely saturated photo. Unfortunately, this setting cannot be saved for re-use.

lamtw22

Reaction score
I think for human face focus, it tend to overexpose but not for others (eg. objects).

Just accidentally found out in the camera auto mode, if you tap on your subject, a brightness sun indicator will pop up and you can then tap on it to adjust the EV directly. Hence, no need to go to the Pro Photo mode.

boaboy

Reaction score
Anyone wanna let go pls kindly contact me @ 91879585. Keen to explore thx :)

tkk810

Reaction score
I order from the same store but the seller reply they do not delivery oversea and refune my purchase. Any advise to purchase from taobo.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.